Time to ditch these Def Tech's - what to get now?

thejknight

thejknight

Audioholic Intern
So let me start by saying that I own a wonderful set of Def Tech BP2000TL towers and they are absolutely the best speaker I have ever owned. Unfortunately my space is just not a good match for these speakers.

I have been planning to do a full matched 5 speaker set with these towers as my starting point but the room is way to small to properly place them for best sound. Its taken a long time for me to accept this because I like these speakers so much but reality has set in. The room is 12 X 12 X 8 and open on 2 sides. The whole first floor of my house is only 24 X 36.

I have a bunch of mismatched speakers that all need to go, the only keeper is an HSU VTF3MK3 with Turbo, the receiver is an Onkyo tx-nr807.

So my question is to those that are familiar with these Definitive speakers, what other brands/lines should I be considering that can give the same amount of room & house filling sound that these beasts produce in stereo? Ideally they need to be placed close to a wall (+/- 6" is not big deal). The system is used mostly for TV & movies but when I listen to music, I like it loud & clear. I power them currently with an Adcom 555 amp, that will probably also get ditched in favor of a 5 channel amp with similar power output.

Some speakers on my radar:
The new Verus line from Aperion
HSU's HB-1 bookshelf speaker
Axiom's M80
Def Tech Mythos lineup

Any thoughts on these and others is appreciated. Budget for all 5 speakers could go up to $2500, assuming I can get about 1K for the BP2000TL's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...Def Tech BP2000TL towers and they are absolutely the best speaker I have ever owned. Unfortunately my space is just not a good match for these speakers....The room is 12 X 12 X 8...
Why not just do 2.0 or 2.1 with the BP2000 for both movies and music, instead of a satellite 5.1?:D

Quality over quantity?:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hunh???:eek:
Frequency response (+/- 3dB) 40Hz - 28Khz, Tweeter (neodynium) 8" silk dome, Driver unit bass/midrange 2 x 6" Tunable passive radiator compression for room variances. Victoria's Dimensions 40" tall, 10" wide by 10" deep and 38 lb's each

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I would get a few JBL LSR monitors!

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I'm very familiar with Axiom's speakers, and while I frequently recommend them, I'd have to steer you away from the M80v3 towers in your particular case. They require a fair bit of "breathing room" in order to sound their best. You'd pretty much end up with a very similar situation to what you're already facing with your Def Tech towers where placement doesn't allow them to perform their best ;)

Given that you need speakers that can be placed quite close to walls, but still produce high output with low distortion, I would favor a sealed tower, with a front ported design being a possible second choice.

If you don't care too much about fancy looks (and since you were happy with Def Tech towers, I have to assume that plain, black boxes are ok by you :p ), then I have two good possibilities:

First would be Emotiva's speakers, with the ERT-8.3 being the tower option. What I like most about Emotiva's speakers is that they are essentially designed just like professional monitors. They allow for tweeter and mid-bass adjustment, which can be a huge benefit in less than ideal placement. They are sealed. And they have a somewhat controlled dispersion due to the driver arrangement.

Some things to consider though - if you are always going to be using a subwoofer, then the ERT-8.3 tower doesn't really make the most financial sense. You would be paying a fair bit extra for bass extension that you don't actually need and wouldn't really use! Instead, you could purchase three of the very high output large bookshelf ERM-6.3 speakers and glean a perfectly matched front soundstage while keeping the price a bit lower.

I LOVE the design of the ERM-6.3 large bookshelf speakers. They have a perfect 2nd order roll-off at 80Hz, which makes them an IDEAL match for any receiver or pre-pro that uses the THX cross-over scheme - which your Onkyo receiver does! Set the cross-over to the standard 80Hz point and you'll get a perfect blending of the receiver's 2nd order 80Hz roll-off combined with the natural 2nd order slope of the ERM-6.3 speakers to create the intended 4th order slope that THX is aimed to create!

Emotiva's ERD-1 surround speakers are also a favorite of mine. Their di-pole mode is extremely effective at recreating the surround field of a commercial movie theater. They are very affordable, small enough to easily mount on the wall at the desired 2-3 feet above seated ear level, and they too have the ideal 2nd order 80Hz roll-off.

And if the ERM-6.3 are too large, the ERM-6.2, while very boxy-looking, still perform like champs and have all the adjustability and ideal roll-off of the bigger ERM-6.3 speakers.

One other consideration with the Emotiva speakers though is that they really beg for powerful amplification. They are 4 ohm speakers and they can absorb lots of power, so they are a bit of a tougher load. This isn't surprising, since Emotiva is first and foremost an amplifier manufacturer ;) But you wanted a new 5-channel amp anyway, right? Emotiva's a great, great choice for that too.

The other choice that jumps to mind would be SVSound. The STS-02 towers are, again, a sealed design with somewhat controlled dispersion due to the driver arrangement. These play well in smaller rooms and with less than ideal placement, but they lack the adjustment options of the Emotiva speakers. They are physically a bit smaller though and they are also an easier load on any given receiver. The price is extremely affordable and SVSound also has a complete lineup of matching bookshelf, center and bi-pole surround speakers in the -02 series. So filling out your 5.1 system would be no problem in the future.

Again, I'd have to recommend staying away from rear ported speakers. With placement being close to walls, sealed or front ported is the way to go, with my preference leaning strongly towards sealed. If you can tolerate the plain, black, boxy looks and can satisfy the power requirements, then I think the Emotiva speakers would be my top recommendation. They have all of the characteristics that you need in your new space :)

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
With all that was said last, I would highly recommend the HSU bookshelf matching set. I like the Emotiva set however the HSU bookshelf is absolutely unbelievable not only for the price but in the general sense!!

For your room size you should not spend any extra money on un-needed bass extension. I am normally not a fan of horns but the HSU (though a horn) has an extremely open & natural sound that floored me when I first heard them. I dont own them but wish i did...

My recommendation is obvious! :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So let me start by saying that I own a wonderful set of Def Tech BP2000TL towers and they are absolutely the best speaker I have ever owned. Unfortunately my space is just not a good match for these speakers.

I have been planning to do a full matched 5 speaker set with these towers as my starting point but the room is way to small to properly place them for best sound. Its taken a long time for me to accept this because I like these speakers so much but reality has set in. The room is 12 X 12 X 8 and open on 2 sides. The whole first floor of my house is only 24 X 36.

I have a bunch of mismatched speakers that all need to go, the only keeper is an HSU VTF3MK3 with Turbo, the receiver is an Onkyo tx-nr807.

So my question is to those that are familiar with these Definitive speakers, what other brands/lines should I be considering that can give the same amount of room & house filling sound that these beasts produce in stereo? Ideally they need to be placed close to a wall (+/- 6" is not big deal). The system is used mostly for TV & movies but when I listen to music, I like it loud & clear. I power them currently with an Adcom 555 amp, that will probably also get ditched in favor of a 5 channel amp with similar power output.

Axiom's M80
Def Tech Mythos lineup

Any thoughts on these and others is appreciated. Budget for all 5 speakers could go up to $2500, assuming I can get about 1K for the BP2000TL's.

Whats your budget?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
You have a really good sub. You can achieve what you want with bookshelf speakers. Bookshelves are generally less expensive than their tower equivalents so you can probably go up a model in quality from what you might otherwise consider.

I'm not fond of many of the speakers suggested here (but that's just me...pay no attention). It seems that you've reached a certain level of quality and have expectations. I'm not sure I can suggest what you want in that budget and not downgrade expectations. Get the best pair of bookshelf speakers you can afford and build from there. The lowest Focal speaker I could genuinely recommend is the Chorus 807v but I don't know their cost. Maybe Paradigm Studio 20, Dynaudio Excite or Focus series, whichever B&W is in your price range, etc.

By all means shop, audition and listen to many speakers if you can to determine if they meet your expectations and preferences. Personally, I don't think speaker shopping should be done via keyboard.

thejknight

thejknight

Audioholic Intern
The other choice that jumps to mind would be SVSound. The STS-02 towers are, again, a sealed design with somewhat controlled dispersion due to the driver arrangement. These play well in smaller rooms and with less than ideal placement, but they lack the adjustment options of the Emotiva speakers. They are physically a bit smaller though and they are also an easier load on any given receiver. The price is extremely affordable and SVSound also has a complete lineup of matching bookshelf, center and bi-pole surround speakers in the -02 series. So filling out your 5.1 system would be no problem in the future.

Again, I'd have to recommend staying away from rear ported speakers. With placement being close to walls, sealed or front ported is the way to go, with my preference leaning strongly towards sealed. If you can tolerate the plain, black, boxy looks and can satisfy the power requirements, then I think the Emotiva speakers would be my top recommendation. They have all of the characteristics that you need in your new space :)
So I did in fact end up with the SVS 5.0 setup. So far so good. Got it cheap enough to maybe get some more sub!

JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic

Axiom's M80
Def Tech Mythos lineup

If you really like the sound of the def techs the mythos lineup is great fairly similar sounding product, its able to achieve the same sound field with its aluminum frame as much larger wood frame speaker. I personally wouldn't recommend the def tech sub as they tend to just be punchy in sound for me. I like to hear the tones more so than feel them, but a good sub to match is the Bowers and Wilkins 608, which is just as small as the super cube III. I currently have the Mythos Twos and B&W 608 sub in my bedroom as a 2.1 setup and I love them.

If you are looking for a good deal on them I am selling Two Mythos Twos and one Mythos three I got all the Mythos as a wedding gift... wife won't let me put them all up since they don't got with our "decor"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis