Time to ditch I-tunes - alternative recommendations please.

G

GChesters

Audiophyte
Hi guys.

After stumbling onto this site after spending countless hours on other review sites, my hunger to hear music better has increased. I've just bought a pair of HD 598 Sr's and want to continue upwards and onwards in the world of better listening. I love and always have loved Apple music for it's ease of use but am conscious of the fact that I can get even better sound quality using a DAP.

My question is.....is there a media source out there other than apple that is as easy to use and can store album after album that i can access just as easily as i currently do with my I-phone? I'm currently paying £8.99 British pounds a month for apple music so would be willing to pay much the same for another source provider.

I've searched previous forums as best i can and can't find the answer i'm looking for.

Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.

Grant.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Hi guys.

After stumbling onto this site after spending countless hours on other review sites, my hunger to hear music better has increased. I've just bought a pair of HD 598 Sr's and want to continue upwards and onwards in the world of better listening. I love and always have loved Apple music for it's ease of use but am conscious of the fact that I can get even better sound quality using a DAP.

My question is.....is there a media source out there other than apple that is as easy to use and can store album after album that i can access just as easily as i currently do with my I-phone? I'm currently paying £8.99 British pounds a month for apple music so would be willing to pay much the same for another source provider.

I've searched previous forums as best i can and can't find the answer i'm looking for.

Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.

Grant.
If you're required to stay with AppleMusic I don't have a solution. However, if you try Qobuz or Tidal you will absolutely love Audirvana and it comes with a 30 trial.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Amazon Hd music is pretty good and selection is getting better.
Qobuz is really good they just need to expand their music collection.
Tidal good, i just don't like the whole user interface.
Spotify has the best user interface and selection, problem is not the best resolution. You may not notice the difference. However a lot of their tracks to me seem to be heavily compressed, even though they tell us it's not. Maybe they are just given bad master copies to begin with, who knows for sure.

Most all of these come with a free trial, so best advice is to try them all and pick which one best suits your needs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You sure you can tell the difference between Apple streaming quality and the others? Have you tested different resolutions as to what you can reliably distinguish?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"..conscious of the fact that I can get even better sound quality using a DAP."
Is that so? I highly doubt it. DAPs are mostly dead and with good reasons. Same reasons iPods are dead and long gone. iPhone/iPad has plenty of storage. Cloud and Streaming services to compliment.
If you want to venture to a different music service since Apple Music doesn't meet the need for music of genres you like, then It's time to switch. I won't switch just for perceived sound quality (mostly blank promises)
I am not saying that everyone is perfectly fine with lossy 128kbps audio files/stream - far from it. I have Senn's 600 and trust me, I hear 128kps mp3 a mile away, but with a much more modern AAC codec at 256 kbps bitrate (which is the lowest Apple Music has I believe) I doubt you could actually hear the difference.

Back to music exploring - that one is actually hard. really hard. I really miss social music services like Turntable.fm . Music exploration within small niches was simply incredible. Plug.DJ is the closest thing around, but in reality, it's a far cry from its predecessor. The thing is you won't know how to pick artists you may like unless you heard about them. FM Radio is useless - they play nearly nothing but top 40/100 (pop or rock or alt) - all same crap. Every station/genre only plays popular songs. How they became popular? - since Radio DJ picked them up and played them to death. So how does one discover new interesting music?
Pandora - great promise - in my experience crappy execution. I tried a bunch of times to start over - it's pointless - their AI algorithms still managed to screw up royally every single time.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
"..conscious of the fact that I can get even better sound quality using a DAP."
Is that so? I highly doubt it. DAPs are mostly dead and with good reasons. Same reasons iPods are dead and long gone. iPhone/iPad has plenty of storage. Cloud and Streaming services to compliment.
If you want to venture to a different music service since Apple Music doesn't meet the need for music of genres you like, then It's time to switch. I won't switch just for perceived sound quality (mostly blank promises)
I am not saying that everyone is perfectly fine with lossy 128kbps audio files/stream - far from it. I have Senn's 600 and trust me, I hear 128kps mp3 a mile away, but with a much more modern AAC codec at 256 kbps bitrate (which is the lowest Apple Music has I believe) I doubt you could actually hear the difference.

Back to music exploring - that one is actually hard. really hard. I really miss social music services like Turntable.fm . Music exploration within small niches was simply incredible. Plug.DJ is the closest thing around, but in reality, it's a far cry from its predecessor. The thing is you won't know how to pick artists you may like unless you heard about them. FM Radio is useless - they play nearly nothing but top 40/100 (pop or rock or alt) - all same crap. Every station/genre only plays popular songs. How they became popular? - since Radio DJ picked them up and played them to death. So how does one discover new interesting music?
Pandora - great promise - in my experience crappy execution. I tried a bunch of times to start over - it's pointless - their AI algorithms still managed to screw up royally every single time.
To be fair to FM dj’s, hardly any have any say in what music gets played. They are given play sheets by the station owners (usually a large media conglomerate), and just push play. The days of an Influential dj making or breaking a record are long gone, unfortunately

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To be fair to FM dj’s, hardly any have any say in what music gets played. They are given play sheets by the station owners (usually a large media conglomerate), and just push play. The days of an Influential dj making or breaking a record are long gone, unfortunately
Agreed, but the result is mostly the same. Days of new music discovery on FM radio or Sat radio for that matter are long gone. Sat different from FM only in few things: a) more genres selection (but still limited to common stuff b) Longer top lists (maybe 200-300 songs deep per station c) still has ADs (like cross station promotion, like Beatles channel - I don't want to listen to top 20 Beatles songs on "Deep Tracks"
d) Much worse sound quality than a decent FM station in HD

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What issues do you have? I have a lot of stations on Pandora that I have been thumbs up/down on for a few years and I get pretty good assortments of music, with new music added as a new musician pops up as similar (or a new album from a previous favorite).
I am moving slow, but it is looking like my end game will be playing Pandora through my phone whenever I am in my car (which has Android Auto) because I run the free version and don't notice the shortcoming of the MP3 sounds very often with road noise.
At home, I expect to eventually run a hard drive from my PC or a NAS (welcome your thoughts on that).
A couple of examples/tips on using Pandora:
1) I love "The Only Exception" from Paramour, but really don't want to listen to punk more than something like once every 5 songs (given good punk). Accordingly I would make a station from "The Only Exception" by Paramour rather than a Paramour station.
2) I love Big Band music, but not so thrilled with recordings from the 50's and early 60's. Accordingly, I have a BBC Big Band station (the BBC put together a band later (maybe early 70's, but the recording quality is consistently good. I'm sure I had to thumbs down a few songs that had sad recording quality, but it did not take that long to get it to where I like it. Alternately you could use Gordon Goodwyn's Big Phat Band as the seed (or basis) for a station..
3) I like early Genesis more than their later more pop stuff (which I still like). Accordingly I have a "The Lamb Lies Down" station which predispositions towards the earlier music.
I'm not sure everyone knows that you can use an album or a specific song as the basis of a station and it doesn't have to be by the group!

That gives me an interesting thought, I'll have to set up a station based on the music from Miami Vice TV show, I know there is an album with assorted musicians, but think I like most all of it!.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed, but the result is mostly the same. Days of new music discovery on FM radio or Sat radio for that matter are long gone. Sat different from FM only in few things: a) more genres selection (but still limited to common stuff b) Longer top lists (maybe 200-300 songs deep per station c) still has ADs (like cross station promotion, like Beatles channel - I don't want to listen to top 20 Beatles songs on "Deep Tracks"
If you want to hear music that is different and new, sometimes strange, look for college stations- many stream online and in the case of wmse.org, they archive their shows. I started listening to that station (WMSE) in 1981 when they fired up their new higher powered transmitter and have been a faithful listener ever since. It's not professional radio- some of the announcers are far from it and I can't stand the voice of one, but they play many genres of music- when the station manager is on the air, his playlists are often amazing and cross many genres. The first time I stumbled upon this station after attending that school, I was driving and they were playing an album that I knew was being released, but had never heard. I tuned in during the first song and KNEW who it was, so I kept driving and when I returned home, I sat in my car and listened until the rest of the album was done. Obviously, that doesn't happen on commercial stations, but this station still plays whole sides and sometimes, whole LPs when they want to do some kind of 'flashback' show.

highfigh

highfigh

What issues do you have? I have a lot of stations on Pandora that I have been thumbs up/down on for a few years and I get pretty good assortments of music, with new music added as a new musician pops up as similar (or a new album from a previous favorite).
I am moving slow, but it is looking like my end game will be playing Pandora through my phone whenever I am in my car (which has Android Auto) because I run the free version and don't notice the shortcoming of the MP3 sounds very often with road noise.
At home, I expect to eventually run a hard drive from my PC or a NAS (welcome your thoughts on that).
A couple of examples/tips on using Pandora:
1) I love "The Only Exception" from Paramour, but really don't want to listen to punk more than something like once every 5 songs (given good punk). Accordingly I would make a station from "The Only Exception" by Paramour rather than a Paramour station.
2) I love Big Band music, but not so thrilled with recordings from the 50's and early 60's. Accordingly, I have a BBC Big Band station (the BBC put together a band later (maybe early 70's, but the recording quality is consistently good. I'm sure I had to thumbs down a few songs that had sad recording quality, but it did not take that long to get it to where I like it. Alternately you could use Gordon Goodwyn's Big Phat Band as the seed (or basis) for a station..
3) I like early Genesis more than their later more pop stuff (which I still like). Accordingly I have a "The Lamb Lies Down" station which predispositions towards the earlier music.
I'm not sure everyone knows that you can use an album or a specific song as the basis of a station and it doesn't have to be by the group!

That gives me an interesting thought, I'll have to set up a station based on the music from Miami Vice TV show, I know there is an album with assorted musicians, but think I like most all of it!.
If you want Miami Vice music, check out Jan Hammer's other music, along with Jeff Beck & others who play older-style techno.

I think you would like wmse.org- they have played whole sides of Lamb and other old Genesis. A friend hosts a show called 'Planet Prog' on Sunday nights but, as I wrote, they archive their shows, so you could listen to it now. Mark (Planet Prog host) had worked at the two major rock stations since the late-'70s and they were the album rock type, not top 40 BS dreck. On Wednesday afternoons from 3-6PM, if Tom Crawford is on, he plays some stuff that's absolutely amazing and even though I have been familiar with the bands, the music is often new to me.

In about 2001, I did a lot of work on my house and since I had removed almost all of my furniture, I had no stereo system to listen to, so I used my clock radio. I really didn't like Punk before that, but WMSE had a show at 1PM with a Brit from Manchester and I actually got into it since he had interviews and anecdotes about that genre. Very ear and mind-opening.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I love somafm.com

And, it has helped me find new music. It is pure web radio, with several stations (it is independent and free, relies on donations to operate). I also like wefunk.com

But, in general, I agree that finding new music can be challenging.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you want to hear music that is different and new, sometimes strange, look for college stations- many stream online and in the case of wmse.org, they archive their shows. I started listening to that station (WMSE) in 1981 when they fired up their new higher powered transmitter and have been a faithful listener ever since. It's not professional radio- some of the announcers are far from it and I can't stand the voice of one, but they play many genres of music- when the station manager is on the air, his playlists are often amazing and cross many genres. The first time I stumbled upon this station after attending that school, I was driving and they were playing an album that I knew was being released, but had never heard. I tuned in during the first song and KNEW who it was, so I kept driving and when I returned home, I sat in my car and listened until the rest of the album was done. Obviously, that doesn't happen on commercial stations, but this station still plays whole sides and sometimes, whole LPs when they want to do some kind of 'flashback' show.
You have a good point, and great advice! College radio and independent broadcasters are likely the best way to find new and interesting music, and always have been.

A good friend DJ'd on the college station while we were in school. He had a weekly punk rock show, and he eventually landed the prime time slot of 10PM -12AM. It was so much fun to call him up and tell him how much his choice in music sucked, get him all riled up, then tell him it was us and tell him to play a particular song next!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I love somafm.com

And, it has helped me find new music. It is pure web radio, with several stations (it is independent and free, relies on donations to operate). I also like wefunk.com

But, in general, I agree that finding new music can be challenging.
Hmm, I never heard about somafm - most of the stations are not quite my speed, but I did find a couple I do like. Maybe will try a few more later. 7 Inch Soul, BAGel Radio, and Left Coast 70s, for now, are what I liked.
Thanks for sharing.

G

GChesters

Audiophyte
Hey everyone, i love how this thread has tumbled into other discussions, it's exactly the forum i've been looking for. Thanks for your good advice. I've just picked up an I-Phone SE, so i'm going to borrow a friends DAP and see how they measure up against one another. The annoying thing is that the phone doesn't have a headphone jack, so i'm going to have to pick up a lightning cable. Are there any lightning cables better than the stock apple? I've read confusing reports about this issue? Thanks again guys.

highfigh

highfigh

Hey everyone, i love how this thread has tumbled into other discussions, it's exactly the forum i've been looking for. Thanks for your good advice. I've just picked up an I-Phone SE, so i'm going to borrow a friends DAP and see how they measure up against one another. The annoying thing is that the phone doesn't have a headphone jack, so i'm going to have to pick up a lightning cable. Are there any lightning cables better than the stock apple? I've read confusing reports about this issue? Thanks again guys.
If you use Airplay, the music will stream at the same resolution as CD audio. As long as the phone won't be sending the audio through what amounts to a headphone/ear plug jack, it will sound better- the jack in the phones that have one is the worst choice for audio quality but I haven't used a lightning cable to feed headphones.

highfigh

highfigh

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
No doubt it was a space-saving move.....
That has been debunked a few times already. The main reason for that was to force people to buy either Air Pods or Beats lighting headphones.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's a sidebar to this discussion, an experiment I made recently which suggested Apple Music is not what you want to abandon.

This last weekend I purchased Classic Hauser, a high dynamic range recording, on 4 mediums: LP, CD, 24/96 FLAC Download, and Apple Music Download. Playing these, nine ways to Sunday as listed below, I had hoped the experimentation would determine what medium sounded best.

• LP>Technics SL-1210GR/Shure V15V (SAS)>Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-Pro Phono Preamplifier input
  • 24/96 FLAC Download>Foobar2000>OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • 24/96 FLAC Download>Foobar2000>Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD (for usb to S/PDIF conversion at 24/96)>TA-E9000ES optical S/PDIF input
  • Apple Music Download>iTunes>Airport Express (wi-fi to S/PDIF 16/44.1 output)>Sony TA-E9000ES optical S/PDIF input
  • Apple Music Download>iTunes>OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • Apple Music Download>iTunes>Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD (for usb to S/PDIF conversion at 24/96)>TA-E9000ES optical S/PDIF input
  • Apple Music Download>Network connection to OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • 24/96 FLAC Download>Thumb Drive>OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • 24/96 FLAC Download>Network connection to OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • CD>OPPO-205>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • CD>Rip to iTunes in ALAC>OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • CD>Rip to iTunes in ALAC>Airport Express (wi-fi to S/PDIF 16/44.1 output) Sony TA-E9000ES analog input
  • CD>Rip to iTunes in ALAC>Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD (for usb to S/PDIF conversion at 24/96)>Sony TA-E9000ES optical S/PDIF input
Conclusion: all processes yielded a satisfying listening experience, whereby tone, sound stage, and detail seemed so similar as to preclude any revelation to what process delivered the most compelling sound; however, three things did stand out: first, the presence of pops distracted LP pleasure, second, play of downloads via OPPO usb DAC, Thumb Drive, or Network connection is inconvenient, and finally, the iTunes play of the Apple Music AAC download via Airport Express to the Sony TA-E9000ES was most convenient; therefore, since the Apple Music sounded on par with the CD, ALAC, and FLAC media, it has made me question spending money on the other means to music other than APPLE MUSIC. At any rate, the exercise was a fun activity on a cold and dreary weekend which has kept me indoors. Note, Apple Music to thumb drive was not tested, since it would have required purchase of the album to permit copy to thumb drive.

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
CD RIP->Audirvana->Hegel H90->BMRs
That's my preferred setup. To my ear, it beats every streaming service I have tried.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis