time for some new equipment

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
Hello, everyone –

It's time for me to refresh some of my AV equipment, specifically the receiver and TV. For the receiver, I want something that is REALLY easy to use, for watching cable, DVRs and streaming. Currently I use about four remotes to switch back between these sources. I don't need staggering performance or fancy features that I'll probably ignore.

I would like to buy something that won't go obsolete in a short time, since I try to hang onto my stuff for awhile. I was looking at the new Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710, and that looked interesting. (I've had good luck with Yamaha products in the past.)

Any opinions or other recommendations?

Thanks.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Well no matter what equipment you get, you'll still be using several remotes unless you get a true universal remote such as one from Harmony or URC.

Any of the modern receivers will in reality last you a while. They all have HDMI 1.4a (3D) support and multiple HDMI inputs. The A710 is a nice receiver and a fine choice.

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
Thanks, Jonny –

I just noticed that buy.com has the A800 on sale. (Presumably this is in the model family previous to the current one.) It too supports HDMI 1.4a, so is it likely a good choice as well?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It is. The big advantage of the x10 versus the x00 is, as far as I know, networking capabilities. That's definitely not something you need if you're looking for simplicity, though it is nice if you want to hook it up and listen to internet radio or stream music over your network.

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
Just got the unit today. Installation was a bit more of a hassle than I figured, due to:

1. my Mac not reading the user manual CD
  2. an absence of HDMI cables (used AV instead)

The only thing I've found that needs some correction is that, when watching TV, I'm only getting the center channel. Maybe that will go away when I replace the AV cables with HDMI (dunno).

On the subject of HDMI cables, am I safe in assuming that "premium" HDMI cables like Monster are as big a rip-off as they are for other kinds of cables?

One unexpected side benefit is...my TV picture seems considerably better than it did with the old receiver. Considering it's a 13-year-old projection model, that's pretty cool.

All in all, I'm quite happy with my choice so far. Yamaha rocks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Just in case you haven't gotten the owner's manual, yet, you can download it directly from Yamaha. You just need to create a free account with them, and then you can download whatever you want.

As for HDMI cables, you are entirely correct. If you have very long lengths of cable, then cables need a bit more thought. If they are around six feet or less, you won't be able to notice any difference at all. Monoprice.com offers good prices for good cables (I use some of their HDMI cables), as do other places.

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
Thanks, Adam. I notice there are quite a few options on Monoprice regarding HDMI cables: high speed, premium, Internet, DVI, etc. Which ones should I get? I want to connect my receiver to my cable box (a Motorola U-Verse) and my Blu-Ray player.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, they sure have expanded their options! I didn't know that they sold so many.

I have ones like this that work great for me.

Questions - how long are your cable runs, and do you need to make any sharp bends in the cables?

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
So, I don't need the Internet combo cables, then? I ask because the receiver only has one network port (not sure why I'd need more, but...).

My runs are all very short. 3' should be enough.

Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm out of the loop on the ethernet aspects of HDMI cables. I can't imagine that it would hurt, though. Reviews of those are good, and the prices are low. Unless someone else has an opinion, I'd say that you couldn't go wrong with those.

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
The Ethernet-ready cables are a lot more money; I guess I could start with the ones you recommend and add an Ethernet router if need be. Thanks for the recommendation; I'll see whether the local Fry's has some, and if not, I'll place an order with Monoprice.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
These ethernet HDMI cables are about the same price as the cables that I got (~$3-4). Even their cables rated for running in walls are about $8 for a six-foot length. That's a good price, IMO.

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
You're right...somehow I missed those. Anyway, I ordered three of them...should be here next week.

Somehow I just know that all this is going to lead me into looking for a new TV...

mzimmers

mzimmers

Enthusiast
Well...I just learned something.

If one is to use HDMI cables from input sources to receiver, one must also use HDMI from receiver to TV.

Which isn't an option for those of us with decade-old TVs.

So...I guess these cables will have to sit for awhile, until I can afford a new TV.

I'm impressed as hell at Monoprice's shipping, though...placed the order Friday night, and it got here this morning. I'm not at all sure how they managed to pull that one off.

So...who wants to help convince me to buy a new TV?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis