Time For a Phone Upgrade!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I've had my iPhone 4 about 4 years now.

Time for both me and the girlfriend to upgrade.

We are both now pretty much set on Android OS. I'm tired of Apple, and I have been very pleased with by Google Nexus 7 (Asus).

So, what are the hot phones right now using Android OS.

I want:
*Relatively Cheap (free with 2 year contract is even better)
*Reliable!
*Good battery

Personally, I lean towards the small phones for myself. I think the GF is wanting a mid-size model (not a jumbo).

What are y'all currently using? Anybody have a phone that they HIGHLY recommend?

I should mention, ATT is my carrier.

With my very little investigation so far, I'm leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy or maybe a Moto X. I kind of like the size of the Galaxy Mini, but it seems to not be on par with the larger version.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A) if you want to save lots of money listen here :
Tmobile prepaid $30 with 5gb data, unlimited text and 100 voice. Don't worry about 100 minutes. With Google voice, us calls are free - using data plan, not your minutes.
Obtion b) ting on sprint network.
As for which device - nexus 5 is cheap and very smooth running latest android - 5
and if you do a bit of math, you will see guaranteed savings of at least $1000 over 2 years.
Ting will charge only what you used.
On light to moderate use expect bills under $40 month

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I just got the Moto-X. I really like it. Super fast and a very clean version of Android with almost no bloat ware. I got the football leather one. It does not seem to have any plastic on the case. Feels very well built.

I cannot speak to plans as Verizon is the only game in town for me so that is where I must stay.

M

markosti

Enthusiast
I've tried them all, and I still recommend that you go for iPhone 6. The difference is huge compared to the 4.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've tried them all, and I still recommend that you go for iPhone 6. The difference is huge compared to the 4.
Yes, the difference is huge. 6 has bigger screen.... and that's it :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
First things first. I suggest you switch to the Next plans if you are staying with ATT. They are a better deal than the old contract style tom foolery. I made the mistake of getting a contract phone last year and still regret it every time I see the bill.

For android phones get the Nexus or an LG G3. Those are the best phones out right now IMO. That said you might want to consider saving the 25 bucks a month by switching to next and keeping your current phones until the new spring releases come out.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know about contracts but I can recommend Samsung Galaxy S4. Have had mine for a while and nothing but good to say about it and price shouldn't be too high. Nice all around phone with good camera.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Well, I've had my iPhone 4 about 4 years now.

Time for both me and the girlfriend to upgrade.

We are both now pretty much set on Android OS. I'm tired of Apple, and I have been very pleased with by Google Nexus 7 (Asus).

So, what are the hot phones right now using Android OS.

I want:
*Relatively Cheap (free with 2 year contract is even better)
*Reliable!
*Good battery

Personally, I lean towards the small phones for myself. I think the GF is wanting a mid-size model (not a jumbo)...
Sony Xperia; Z2, Z3 (5.2") or Z3 compact (4.6"). Solid performers.

I'm on my third Sony Xperia phone. A Z2 is my current daily companion. I have to admit it, they're pretty damned nice. Dunno about the price of these with US carrier contracts, but I think Sony's phones are the one product Sony does really well. Mine took a few fall "naked" not even a chip on either side.

- Water and dust resistant.
- Classy and understated looks.
- Power sipper with lots of juice.
- Up to 128GBytes Micro SD external storage. (Very usefull, max size varies with OS & phone model)
- There have been hints that Z4, will support DSF.
- Some have even suggested Z1 and Z2 will also support DSF once they have Lollypop upgrade.
- Native support for external DACs via OTG

Sound, for a phone, is excellent. (Specially with Neutron player). VLC runs really well on it, and the default audio player, Walkman is now somewhat decent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also have AT&T. My phone is the Samsung Note 3. I like it because I can do free WiFi Tethering so my daughters can get WiFi access on their iPad anywhere we go that my phone has 4G.

That's probably the only advantage I can think of. Otherwise, I would go with the iPhone 6 Plus. :D

I am probably waiting for the Note 5 to have 3GHz Quad-Core 64-bit system. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have Verizon and the Note 4, but given the fact you are looking for a smaller phone, I would suggest staying away from this or the IPhone 6 Plus

You are looking for a relatively inexpensive, smaller medium phone, here are my suggestions as I am a serial upgrader and have used a large amount of phones: :)

Phones I have personally used: (For ATT/VERIZON/TMOBILE)

Galaxy S5: Not on the smaller side, but not huge, great screen, but the build quality IMO is not as good. Like the Galaxy Note 3 it just feel a little cheap. Feature set is excellent if you are a feature junkie. Great Cameras. Fingerprint reader on these phones is terrible, at least it is on my Galaxy Note 4.

Galaxy Mini: Not a huge fan, similar but the screen, CPU, video is not on par with its bigger brother

LG G3: This is a big phone that feels smaller than it is. It has a very narrow form factor, nice screen, though not as vibrant as the Galaxy Series, its Quad HD Display is sharp, and even with the 801 CPU it still is silky smooth on video etc. This was a personal favorite of mine and I was sorry I sold it.

HTC One (M8): If you like a great speakerphone and sound quality, this is the phone for you, screen is also very good. I love the front speaker design, but you suffer a little with a taller phone. I like HTC's user interface best of the three I have mentioned so far. Camera is lacking if take a lot of pictures with your cell phone. HTC has a nice little bonus that if you crack the screen in the first 6 months they will replace for free. (not sure if they are still doing it)

ON VERIZON:
DROID TURBO in Ballistic Nylon: If I were to get a smaller phone screen, this would be my personal choice. (5.2 is not small, but it is definitely smaller than my 5.7 note. I just love the build quality, the looks, screen and solid battery life 3900mAH. I like its warranty:

Droid Turbo Screen Assurance
Droid Turbo just got even tougher. Now, if the chemically strengthened display becomes damaged during the first two years, you can replace it once for free. It’s the extra confidence you need so you can rise to the moment

I have used the Motorla Photon on Sprint and the Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon and those have been 2 of the most trouble free phones I have ever owned. My boss uses the Moto X which is a small screen model and he loves it, though the screen is too small for my taste.

Notes on Carriers:
I worked for Sprint for 4 years as a National Account Manager and used their Cell Service for a long, long time. IMO, their network just is not up to par with the other providers, but as always go to each carriers website and check their network coverage map to see which might be best.

T-Mobile has been solid for me pretty much all over for both voice and data. It was the only carrier I was able to get bandwidth for internet when I was at San Diego Comic Con. Price wise it's one of the best deals out there

AT&T: I just had a huge difficulty with them in my home and never stayed with them because the are by far, the worst customer service I have dealt with from a carrier perspective

VERIZON: Great network, but they are the most expensive carrier in my market. If not for the fact that my job pays for my cell phone, I would have been on another network.

Great Sources to Check Phone Reviews:
www.phonedog.com
www.phonearena.com
www.phonescoop.com - On release news

Last note, when looking at phones, CPUs should be considered secondary unless you are dealing with the lower end of the market, chances are you will never notice a difference between the Snapdragon 801/805 unless you are huge power user, and even then it will be minimal. The newer SnapDragon 810s are coming out, but Samsung will be using it's own Exynos(sp?) CPU.

I think the worst reason to upgrade a phone is for the CPU, because most modern phones are all fast, look for the features you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis