Time for a new AV receiver/amp?

S

SenojNW

Audiophyte
Hi Folks
I'm currently running a 5.1 system off a bog-standard Sony amp that I got about 6 years ago as part of a "home theatre in a box" type system (for ~$1000k including speakers... nuff said). The speakers are long gone and have been replaced by Aaron ATS-5's at the front, an Aaron CC-120 centre channel, and Aaron SAT-60's for rears (needed something to hang off the roof).

Compared to other systems, I reckon mine is sounding pretty crap - it gets regularly compared to my brother's which is running off a mid range Yamaha amp, and Bose Acoustimass speakers... and mine sounds well... crap...

Recognising that my speakers are not top of the line but not cheapies either I'm thinking a new amp might make a noticable difference??? I'm looking at a Yamaha RX-V463 at this stage.

Would a new AV receiver/amp make a noticable difference?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Folks
I'm currently running a 5.1 system off a bog-standard Sony amp that I got about 6 years ago as part of a "home theatre in a box" type system (for ~$1000k including speakers... nuff said). The speakers are long gone and have been replaced by Aaron ATS-5's at the front, an Aaron CC-120 centre channel, and Aaron SAT-60's for rears (needed something to hang off the roof).

Compared to other systems, I reckon mine is sounding pretty crap - it gets regularly compared to my brother's which is running off a mid range Yamaha amp, and Bose Acoustimass speakers... and mine sounds well... crap...

Recognising that my speakers are not top of the line but not cheapies either I'm thinking a new amp might make a noticable difference??? I'm looking at a Yamaha RX-V463 at this stage.

Would a new AV receiver/amp make a noticable difference?
I think your problem is most likely the speakers. Even a Sony HTIB receiver should be able to beat a Bose system handily driving a respectable speaker.

I went to that Aaron site, and I have to say I was not impressed. I don't recall speakers with cloth surrounds, since the 1950s. Also your mains are three ways. Budget three ways have a big chance of being problematic.

I would borrow a decent receiver, or even a two channel amp if you can, and see at least what the mains sound like driven by something else. My guess is that your sound will not change, because your speakers have a sonic signature, that is unappealing.

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
Could be the room.

Its rare to find speakers that perform worse than bose. Look at room characteristics. The good speakers in a bad room should sound worse than bad speakers in the good room. But I know nothing of those speakers.

S

SenojNW

Audiophyte
Hey guys
Thanks for the replies... I'll see if I can borrow another receiver and make a comparison. I dunno re: the Aarons - I listened to a whole lot of alternatives when I was replacing the old Sony satellites including some much pricier international brands and far preferred the Aarons - in particular they didn't produce a loud, messy bass like the others. Anyway - will do the test and see before I go replacing the amp. Good point abefroeman - the room I am in is a terrible shape but I don't have any alternatives at the moment. I can't seperate the front channels as much as I would like and unfortunately they have to be pressed up against the wall on either side.

Will test and report back.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis