THX display thoughts

W

wormhauler

Audiophyte
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I usually have a hard time pulling the trigger on buying something (technology) that is changing quickly. I want what is the best and tend to wait till it gets better.

Having said that, I have read a lot about the merits of Plasma compared to LCD and like the Panasonic 50 inch G20. I mostly liked it because it was "THX" certified. But then I read about THX certified Blue ray players and found there were only a few and they were pretty costly. Now I wonder does it make sense to purchase a display that has technology that I won't be able to use due to the cost of the BR player.

Oh, I have OTA, no cable. I watch little sports a few movies.

Panasonic S seriexs sounds like it has the same display, a fewer options and it doesn't include Vierra cast. I wonder if it is worth the $200 difference? Anybody have any experience with that?

Thanks
Roger

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
THX is not a technology. All it is a certification that a device meets certain specifications. Many devices out there could be THX certified but are not. A THX certification adds to the reputation of a device and, I would imagine, also adds to the price without adding technology.

Buy whichever TV you like better. THX, to me, means absolutely nothing.

-pat

W

wormhauler

Audiophyte
Thanks for that. There is a lot of stuff to learn. A lot of opinions. Since I don't have cable or a dish, I am leaning to one of the TV's that have an internet connection.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I have one of the S-series Panasonics, and I think they're the best bang-for-the-buck in the 2009 line-up. ESPECIALLY if you don't need the THX Mode. Same panel, contrast ratio, etc.

I'm not sure how badly you need Viera Cast. Research it a bit, but I think you'd be much better off saving the money to get a Bluray player that has Netflix's online service built in. You'll probably get a lot more mileage out of that.

Unless you watch in a very dark room, the general consensus is that THX Mode is too dim anyways. Also, look into the black-level rise of the 2009 Panasonics. Again, though, unless you watch in a light-controlled environment you probably won't notice that too much either.

Just my opinion.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Under the following conditions:

-this is my primary HT display
-I am not going to pay for a pro calibration
-I am not going to do a high level calibration myself with colorimeter and/or spectroradiometer, software, laptop, or other hardware
-I will watch my favorite movies in the dark

I think I would rather easily pay a 4% premium for THX mode, all by itself. Therefore, if the TV costs $1,000, I would easily pay $40 more to have THX.

Now, if the difference is $200, that's tougher. That could go straight to a pro cal, for instance on a S series.

However, without any desire for a pro cal, the G series should allow more consumer-level pic controls.

IMO, the S series was a better value than the G series, at least for last year.

The feature that I would pay considerably more for is 24p w/o 3:2 pulldown, and for last year, that was only the V series on up, within Pana's plasma lineup.

For the OP, I recently put in OTA, and I highly recommend it. These plasmas already have built in ATSC tuner, where I actually had to buy a stand alone to feed my PJ. One time antenna purchase for say $50-80, an RG6 cable for say $10-20, and you get uncompressed, highest quality signals for absolutely free, granted, only so many stations . . . OTOH, I'm somewhat of a sports fan, and it's kind of cool to get the Winter Games, Final Four basketball, all the football games, etc, as highest quality . . . and free. :D

W

wormhauler

Audiophyte
Vizeo

Then I get a person at work who says his son just got a 42 inch Vizeo and was thrilled with it. I think Ineed to go to the store and just buy a HDTV that I like at the time.

Thanks

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ive got a friend whose cousins brother aunts niece, knew a neighbor with a tv.:D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Then I get a person at work who says his son just got a 42 inch Vizeo and was thrilled with it. I think Ineed to go to the store and just buy a HDTV that I like at the time.

Thanks
Get a Pany and be done with it, there isnt but 2, I repeat 2 LCD/LED displays that can come close to the plasma your looking at;)

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I have a V series Panasonic and I only use THX mode when watching films in the dark with bias lighting. The picture is absolutely stunning that way! Now, if only the black levels had stayed put like when new, this display would be basically flawless!

W

wormhauler

Audiophyte
There doesn't seem to be a lot of the 50 inch models close to me, I may have to go to an internet store. I like the idea of a retail store so I can return in 30 days if I need to.sd

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
There's not a Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics anywhere near you that can order one?!

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
THX is not a technology. All it is a certification that a device meets certain specifications. Many devices out there could be THX certified but are not. A THX certification adds to the reputation of a device and, I would imagine, also adds to the price without adding technology.

Buy whichever TV you like better. THX, to me, means absolutely nothing.

-pat
+1,I concur,I guess it would be like filling your tires with nitrogen,no improvment for 30.00,air is free.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I like the THX mode in the G-series (Bro's tv) and V-Series (My tv). I've had pro calibrations from top guys and I must admit, the V-Series in thx mode (after firmware update) is awesome...very content.

Aside from that, the G-series and V-series are on sale and can be had for ridiculous prices. Get a Panny and you will not regret it. I've had 1 LED sammy with a professional calibration. Panasonic wins easily. Remember, whatever price you see the tv for you can still talk them down. You will be suprised how cheap you can get tvs for.

Good luck and let us know what tv you get

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
+1,I concur,I guess it would be like filling your tires with nitrogen,no improvment for 30.00,air is free.
:rolleyes:

THX mode happens to be used often by videophiles.

Just ask rmk, who just landed the RS35 (yes, the one with hand picked optics). Until Jeff Meier makes his tour from TX to CA to do a whole bunch of calibrations with $25,000 spectroradiometer, guess what he uses for the meanwhile, for best colors, at 6500 Kelvin?

That's right, THX mode. :cool:

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
:rolleyes:

THX mode happens to be used often by videophiles.

Just ask rmk, who just landed the RS35 (yes, the one with hand picked optics). Until Jeff Meier makes his tour from TX to CA to do a whole bunch of calibrations with $25,000 spectroradiometer, guess what he uses for the meanwhile, for best colors, at 6500 Kelvin?

That's right, THX mode. :cool:

That's because the THX mode is more accurate compared to all other modes.
And that's why it's used by most (if not all...) professional calibrators.

W

wormhauler

Audiophyte
No ultimate electronics and Best Buy has stock in only one store about 50 miles from me.

W

wormhauler

Audiophyte
In the sticks

I must live in the sticks. I am north of Indy but had never heard of Ultimate Electronics. The closest to me is St Louis. A 5 hour drive one way. btw Best buy is stocking better now. Just about to pull the trigger on a G50.
just need a day off or two.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis