Thoughts on Tyler Acoustics?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I'm interested in a new pair of bookshelf speakers and have been poking around at the usual suspects for ID; axiom, ascend, etc. But I've also been looking at Tyler Acoustics. True, their price points seem to be a bit higher, but not so high as to warrant no talk about them. I've been searching and can find little in the way of peoples impressions of them. On the surface, they seem to offer a solid product, seemingly pulling out all the stops on the various components they implement in their designs.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Taylo Mini Reference Monitor...mostly because I think the Reference Monitor (non-mini) is out of my range. Brand new, they're $1600, but I know they put them on special from time to time, and used, I've seen them sell for right at $1K. So, they don't seem outlandishly expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts, or experiences with these speakers. I know they're a relatively small brand and truthfully that intrigues me even more...that they're off the beaten path a little.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Specifically, I'm looking at the Taylo Mini Reference Monitor...mostly because I think the Reference Monitor (non-mini) is out of my range. Brand new, they're $1600, but I know they put them on special from time to time, and used, I've seen them sell for right at $1K. So, they don't seem outlandishly expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts, or experiences with these speakers. I know they're a relatively small brand and truthfully that intrigues me even more...that they're off the beaten path a little.
I can only offer my thoughts on these speakers. I wish I could give you direct listening impressions, but I have never heard these speakers. But I have heard speakers with very similar drivers. The Seas magnesium midwoofers, the W15 (5") and W18 (6.5") are very good and are also expensive, ~$150 each if you buy from a retail source like Madisound. Like all metal midwoofers, they have a different sound than coated paper drivers of similar size and quality. The details of the crossover can have a major effect on how speakers with these drivers sound. Have you ever listened to any speakers with either of these two drivers? In general, I like coated paper drivers better than metal drivers, but I can think of examples of speakers with metal drivers that I think sound good. So try to find a way to listen to these speakers.

The Scan-Speak 1" dome tweeters are also very good, and yes they are also expensive. I have heard these tweeters in other 2-way speakers. As a guess, I think that the Mini Reference Monitors with the 5" midwoofers might do a better job of integrating smoothly with these tweeters than the Reference Monitors with the larger midwoofer. But, as I said above, listen to them, the devil is in the details.

Tyler speakers certainly look good on paper. The drivers are first rate, the cabinets look very nicely finished. I can't say anything about the quality of the crossovers or how well the cabinets are made. At those prices, they'd better be very good.

Have you considered any speakers by Salk Sound? Salk uses the Seas W18 driver in a number of his models. He does sell the Ellis 1801, a 2-way that uses the W18 midwoofer along with a Hiquophon OW1 tweeter, a ¾" dome that I personally prefer over the Scan-Speak 1" dome. It has wider dispersion and sounds truly outstanding.

At $1,500 a pair, I also recommend the Salk SongTower QWT speakers, but they are MTM floor standers, and you did say you were looking for small monitors. See the link in my signature below.

If you are up to DIY, I also recommend the Dennis Murphy designed CAOW1 speakers, for roughly $500 a pair. Again, see the link below. You can buy premade cabinets for these if you don't want to build your own. If you look at Salk's site for the MBOW!/CAOW1, he also sells these, but I don't know the price. I personally prefer these small 2-ways to the Ellis 1801 speaker.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Swerd, thanks for the in-depth post. Most appreciated.

You touched on a lot of things that I noted; the fact that they seem to use a lot of top-notch drivers and their cabinets seem really well crafted also.

Thanks for the link to the Salks. I have looked at the SongTower, but only in admiration. I'm strictly monitor for the time being. Those Ellis 1801's look nice, but since they start at $1699, they'll be a bit out of my range. I'm looking in the $1000 area, give or take $200. So far, I've narrowed it to:

• Taylo Mini Reference Monitor
• Ascend Sierra-1
• Swan D2.1SE

There are a few others I've considered, but these seem to be the 3 main contenters. We'll see where I end up.

Oh, and as for DIY, I sure don't trust myself to that. My only DIY experience with speakers was drilling holes to add the grills to my Onix X-LS's...and I nearly demolished my speakers. :eek:

Thanks again.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm looking in the $1000 area, give or take $200. So far, I've narrowed it to:

• Taylo Mini Reference Monitor
• Ascend Sierra-1
• Swan D2.1SE

There are a few others I've considered, but these seem to be the 3 main contenters. We'll see where I end up.

Oh, and as for DIY, I sure don't trust myself to that. My only DIY experience with speakers was drilling holes to add the grills to my Onix X-LS's...and I nearly demolished my speakers. :eek:
The Taylo Mini Reference Monitor certainly looks good. If you can get a pair used at $1000 or less, it might be a deal.

I have listened to the Ascend Sierra-1. It was a direct comparison to my CAOW1 2-ways, and the DIY 2-ways were clearly better. There were two prominent differences I heard in this comparison, the first is a correctable problem, and the second, while not a real problem, is a notable difference:

1) The Sierra-1s have a prominent step up in loudness, by about 3-4 dB in the 500-600 Hz range and higher. This is usually called "baffle step", and occurs on nearly all speakers with narrow front cabinets. It makes midrange and voices sound more prominent, and sometimes, depending on the music, makes the midrange sound "shouty" or even nasal. This could be easily corrected by a baffle step compensation circuit in the crossover. At the price these speakers sell for, it is inexcusable not to have it.

2) The off axis response of the Sierras tweeters were good for a 1" dome, but the ¾" dome of the DIYs had wider dispersion at higher frequencies, and sounded noticeably better.

Salk does sell the fully built CAOW1 starting at $900 a pair.

Good luck with your search.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis