Thoughts on the Bowers and Wilkins 684 speakers new for 300 bucks? is it worth it?

J

jthornton17

Audiophyte
I've got a chance to buy some brand new Bowers and Wilkins 684 floorstanders for 300 each. Does anyone have any experience with the 684'S? I run the Bowers and Wilkins 685's as mains in my bedroom and have their mm1 pc speakers. I hated their subwoofer when I bought it and returned it. The same with their p5 headphoens. Just not that great imo. Yet the 685's and mm1 speakers are great. So it's like a mixed bag of tricks with Bowers and Wilkins. Any info on it would be great. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you think the 685 are great, then you will think the 684 are great too. So it seems like a great deal.

It's normal for speaker companies to have subpar Subs and headphones. :D

Just buy their home speakers and forget their subs, headphones, PC speakers, etc.

K

kzaudiovideo

Banned
I think whatever type of speakers you have , the most important thing is compatibility. That's is when you get the best sound result.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think whatever type of speakers you have , the most important thing is compatibility. That's is when you get the best sound result.
I thought many of your other responses were useless, but this one really takes the cake.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I thought many of your other responses were useless, but this one really takes the cake.
LOL, one of my favorites is "Proper placement of the sub-woofer will surely get you the best quality sound you ever wanted. I think it is good to elevate your sub woofer overhead." but the one where he said Something about liking bose headphones because you can take them where ever you go, made me smile too... I just thought that maybe english was not his first language and something was getting lost {or found} in translation attempt...

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is KZAV rude? Has he called any names?

I get the impression KZ is NOT making any friends, which is too bad if he is a dealer. We expect dealers to have a lot more knowledge and a lot less snake oil? :D

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
I'm with AcuDef on this one. I think you'll most likely enjoy the 684's. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is would you rather spend that 600 bucks on a subwoofer (other than B&W) and pair it with the 685's you already have? (I'm assuming you are talking about using the 684's in the bedroom system you mentioned.)

kzaudiovideo cracks me up but in a good way haha. A little levity never hurts.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
kz is just a spammer making useless posts. notice the url in the signature field.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you go to the link and read the articles, you will see nothing is being sold as far as I can tell, so not really a violation. The site however, is about as bad as the posts.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If you go to the link and read the articles, you will see nothing is being sold as far as I can tell, so not really a violation. The site however, is about as bad as the posts.

He seems like a nice enough guy, and may know a lot about his business, but honestly if he does indeed know a lot about home audio he does a terrible job expressing it in text....

He comes off as someone trying to sound educated about a subject but really hasn't a clue or very little of one if any...

It seems like he wants to sound smart about HT and instead of just being quiet or adding useful information he says things like "follow your heart to the next intersection of life" and ends up sounding like a fortune cookie and confusing the sh!t out of me...

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Probably old news but I just realized the 68X series are being discontinued and replaced by a series 2. jthornton17 you may want to use that as leverage and try to get an even better price on the 684's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis