Thoughts on my next subs....

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you all know I will have my hands full this fall with my Hot Tub install...

But as of late I have been kicking around some different idea's of what I might/should do for new subs in my HT room...

I really love the performance of my current subs (Plus/2 - Plus), but with the new ultra's 13's coming out Im looking forward to the reviews of how much they will outperform what I have now...

I have also been kicking around different Ideas of doing

A) Infinite Baffle installation, like this installed in my attic. http://www.garagehobbies.com/ib.aspx?Section=Install

B) Building my own downfiring dual subs, something like this guys did (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7425200&&#post7425200) with wicked 15" drivers like this... with a single driver in a ported box...
15" LMS-5400 MSRP:
$775 each.

But anything that I do, will have to be extremely attractive looking, If I build 2 sub boxes, they will have to remain the attractive sexy looking subs that I currently have that SVS makes... I have the room in my house, to have big sub boxes, and it wouldn't be a problem, as long as they look extraordinarily beautiful...

What do you guys think.... Money is no object here, just results...

Warp

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I think if you really want to step up and above your already impressive setup, IB is the way to go.

6x TC-2000 15" in an IB. would be something else. Power them with a few Behringer 2500.

http://www.tcsounds.com/tc2000.htm

http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=eng
I have read that an IB should be at the front of the room, and thats impossible here... If I was going to get Subs from TC sounds, I would spend the money on LMS-5400 drivers...

Im looking for 10hz and above response here... or at least an impressive mid teens response here...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Come on. A little contact paper and it will look fine. Sexy as ever. :D

Dammit mazer.... I was drinking when I saw that... that almost came out of my nose...

Thats just pee in the pants funny...

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
I have an IB, and it is quite impressive. I used relatively cheap drivers with an excellent result.

I also like the hidden look that it provides. I have the room for big subs in my room, but just really like the stealth-ness of IB.

If you can't get it in the front of your room, then it might not be best. However, I have read of people doing it with success (or claimed success).

Either way, good luck!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
That JL is more then I will agree to pay for a sub... but it is beautifull...
I do have a mortgage to pay here... :mad:

I'll have to see what kind of pics I can dig up for ya mike....

I was afraid of the IB above and behind the LP, so Im not sure here on that.. I won't be doing a Ceiling mounted IB... I would rather just build some boxes then...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
You could always build a cylinder sub like J_garcia's his looks great and it doesn't take up a bit of space. Plus you might be able to get the carpet tube for cheap from home depot or lowes as I have heard they give them away. It would keep with the SVS looks and well you could get a 15 inch driver to fit in a cylinder ;).

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you know what I'd like to see on a sub?

piano gloss WHITE!

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not only does the Gotham look very impressive, but I also think it has the coolest name in the sub-market.

Maybe when Bale suits up for his 2nd batman movie, he'll have a few Gotham sub woofers in his HT:D

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
That looks like someone took a subwoofer and glued a cutting board to the top! I need that in my kitchen it can replace my butcher block :D.
Best... sounding... cutting board... ever! :D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Warp; I think you have lost your mind and need help. I think before all this is said and done; you and Mike C will try to bind your houses together so there is enough room for all of your subs.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well its looking more and more like an IB sub wont work very well with my layout.. Above and behind the listening position is a no no for IB arrays...

To bad, as I have the space up there for this.... :(

Anyways, Im just thinking into the future, and was wondering if a DIY would be better then the Ultra 13 coming out, and I will see how that looks... and how the reviews end up coming out on it... I was interested in something that was a bit tighter in the bass department... and maybe more power...

I Have the access to a CNC machine to carve out boxes and structure and it would make this a top notch way to go... but I would need help on the design part. Also Looking for ideas as to implementation here... sealed with 15" drivers and passive radiators seems like the new way to go...

I really like the idea of a down firing woofer, like SVS has done... as it gives the box a really nice clean look.. I love the SVS plus and Plus/2 design, and I think it can be achieved here, I just have to figure it all out, or say piss on it, and pull the trigger on the new Dual Ultra's but I figured I would pass some time putting this in the design stage while I build my Hot Tub Deck... :)

Guess Im just a busy minded individual... What do you think guys, Im putting in 75-80 hours a week at work, dating a couple of chics, building a Hot Tub Deck, designing my next BAD A$$ subs as well as the rest of the day to day crap I got going on... Think I have a little A.D.D... :)

Warp

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis