Thoughts on internet based speaker companies.

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
What's your take on some of these companies & there speaker lines. To name a few: Axiom, Aperion, SVSound, Emotiva, Ascend Acoustics, AV123, Outlaw Audio, Ohm, Tyler Acoustics, Salk Sound, Lipinski Sound. Are there any others that you know of?.

All of them seem to have pretty darn good stuff, & they pretty much receive good reviews across the board. I was always curious about trying some of then out but just never got around to it.

Has anyone here tried any of them & if so what's your thoughts. Curiousity is creeping in. The new one from Aperion, the 6T looks like a killer!

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I love mine :). I've also owned JBL, Boston, Polk, and Klipsch. I tried a pair of Aperion Audio bookshelves and was hooked. Upgraded to towers, bought a center and bookshelf surrounds. Sounds nice, great company, excellent trade up policy, Aperion is a winner in my book.

C

ccotenj

Audioholic Intern
ascend acoustics owner here. i have the sierra-1's l/c/r, and htm-200's for surrounds. i've had the sierra's since they were introduced.

imo, it would be really tough to beat these speakers with any of the "store brands" for anywhere near the price. customer service is unbeatable. and if you don't like them, you can return them for the cost of shipping. a basic no-lose proposition.

fwiw, these replaced b&w 802 matrix l/r and an 805 matrix center... i don't miss them...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What's your take on some of these companies & there speaker lines. To name a few: Axiom, Aperion, SVSound, Emotiva, Ascend Acoustics, AV123, Outlaw Audio, Ohm, Tyler Acoustics, Salk Sound, Lipinski Sound. Are there any others that you know of?.

All of them seem to have pretty darn good stuff, & they pretty much receive good reviews across the board. I was always curious about trying some of then out but just never got around to it.

Has anyone here tried any of them & if so what's your thoughts!
This is a classic Flame War post.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
:p I had to log in just to thank Gus for his post.

Please tell us pearsall001, that you are really going to purchase ID.

ID is a great option that offers good value.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
...though I have to say, the best ID company ever is ... fftt, fftt, fftt... erg.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Hey pearsall001, how do you like your AAD? How did you end up with those?
They don't have local dealers near me, so I had contacted their online store to inquire about one of their lines. Found out they were 20% off, but they were clearancing them and wouldn't allow returns. I inquired about another line, but they stopped responding at that point, so I ended up not giving them a try.

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
Hey pearsall001, how do you like your AAD? How did you end up with those?
They don't have local dealers near me, so I had contacted their online store to inquire about one of their lines. Found out they were 20% off, but they were clearancing them and wouldn't allow returns. I inquired about another line, but they stopped responding at that point, so I ended up not giving them a try.
Man, I hope these guys are only kidding about this starting a flame war...geez, don't get your panties up in a bunch now fellows!!! :D

Now to answer your question. The AAD 2001 monitors that I have are absolutely incredible. But, after having them for over 3yrs now though I'm starting to get the "itch". And yes I would most certainly buy ID to do a comparison with the AAD's. Here's where I got mine...http://www.questforsound.com/

The owner, Stephen Monte is a super nice guy & a real pleasure to deal with. He is one of a few that strictly does two channel & does it right.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info on AAD. I had found a dealer online with some demo's for 40% off, but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger without hearing them first. They were originally like $2300 towers for about under $1400. If they performed as well as they say, it would have been a great deal, but just couldn't do it.

As far as your question, the whole brick and mortar vs ID is one of those subjects that tends to bring out the opinionated, or verbal, but anyway...

I've ordered from 3 ID companies so far, and all have gone well. A MWF-15 sub from AV123, Aperion 6T's and 5C, and Axiom M80's, M2's and QS8's.
I returned the M80's and went with the 6T's. I had them both at the same time for direct comparison. I liked both sets of speakers quite a bit actually.
I wanted to get another pair or two of other brands for comparison, but ended up not getting any more for various reasons.

I don't have the history or experience of some of the others guys on here, so I can't give a very good comparison of different brands which are better at what. Since there are not many dealers within 20-30 miles of me, I decided to go with what I could order online easily.

Below I copied some comments from other posts I've made. I've got a more detailed review of what we had listened to and differences we noticed if you're interested. Otherwise the below might give you an idea what I noticed in my comparisons. The return process was easy, so I would definitely recommend ordering speakers for auditioning if you're thinking about it, you don't have much to lose. I do have a post in the General forum too with pictures of the 6T's if your interested. Let me know and I can find the link.

Commence pasting of previous posts...

The Axioms dig a bit deeper still, and they do well all around imaging wise and with detail. They have a good size soundstage, and they do like power, but are an easy 4 ohm load. I had them up to 100db yesterday for a few minutes, and they didn't seem stressed at all and sounded great, though I will no longer listen at such levels any more anyway so it doesn't matter much to me. The Aperion's kind of got overbearing for me at 100db, and I wasn't sure I would dare go any higher with them. The Axioms seemed to beg for more. I might try this again later to see if anything has changed after more of a break in.

What the Aperions have going for them- wider soundstage, little more clarity and detail in the high end, a little better imaging, and looks- the cherry finish is nice. The Axioms have a rough edge or two. Also, the 6T's take a little more to drive I believe and might be less efficient (haven't double checked), or maybe it's it because the M80's are 4 ohm, but I have to turn the receiver up 4-6db to get the 6T's level with the M80's.

I decided to return the M80's and called Axiom up. It was very easy, no questions asked. They offered to send me shipping labels for $20 each for the towers, so I took that offer to save some money. They also offered to call the courier to schedule a pickup. So basically all I had to do was box them up and be home when the courier came back. A lot easier than I expected (I thought I'd have to take them in somewhere). As a bonus, I was never actually charged for return shipping and received a full refund. I don't know if this is common, or if it is because I did order a couple of other sets of speakers from them, but it was a nice surprise.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
All of them seem to have pretty darn good stuff, & they pretty much receive good reviews across the board.
I haven't tried any of those, but as far as speakers are concerned, there are some ID models that are good and some that are not so good, just like there are non ID models that are good and not so good; Internet only equals better product is highly specious reasoning, no matter what the reviewers say.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
ID companies

I have had good results with AV123 speakers and my SVS sub. Some of the companies including AV123 and Aperion offer a risk free trial of their speakers and most others have a pretty liberal trial/return policy so that you can demo them in your home.

Demoing several ID and/or B&M speakers and letting your ears decide is the best way to make a buying decision.

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
I have Swan Divas from theaudioinsder and waiting on a MFW from AV123, couldn't be happier. Best bang for the buck IMO. I had a long reply typed up for the same thread at AVS before it got deleted...don't feel like doing it again. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis