Thoughts on Bic Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Can someone please advise your thoughts on the BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub. Main use 90% sports and HT and 10% music.
Also has anyone purchased anything from sounddistributors.com?

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Try a search. There are literally thousands of reviews and recommendations for that sub. On a budget, it should be fine.

E

espanarules

Audioholic Intern
Like it a lot for the sub sonic bass...but the CSX-12 Mark II is better over all....I have had both.

E

espanarules

Audioholic Intern
and??? The question wasn't can they hit 20 Hz...you guys need to chill....lol

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Like it a lot for the sub sonic bass...but the CSX-12 Mark II is better over all....I have had both.
Neither of them is capable of even 20Hz performance.
and??? The question wasn't can they hit 20 Hz...you guys need to chill....lol
First, you used subsonic incorrectly, again. Secondly, by saying that you are claiming it can hit those low frequencies. So yea, the issue of 20hz was brought up.

Last edited:
E

espanarules

Audioholic Intern
how is it you have all this time??? Oh...you have no life....you're just amusing me now...done with my lesson plans for the week...have to work on my students IEPs...I'm sure you're aware of what those are...right...kinda like the SVS....kinda like ESE and ESOL...you know?... :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
how is it you have all this time??? Oh...you have no life....you're just amusing me now...done with my lesson plans for the week...have to work on my students IEPs...I'm sure you're aware of what those are...right...kinda like the SVS....kinda like ESE and ESOL...you know?... :)
Actually IEP's are pretty easy (Individualized Education Program), but as for the ESE's (Exceptional Student Education) and the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) I'm guessing your down south because we have different acronyms up here in the North. What I find much more irritating are the conflicting goals of the Common Core Standards and the high stakes testing, not to mention the meaningless paperwork I now have to fill out. I mean if I make my own pre-test/post test and that's part of what I'm evaluated on, in addition to the pass rate of the state tests, how can you not always do well? I find it hard to believe that helps weed out bad teachers. Furthermore, the requirements on administrators to observe every teacher in their building 3 times before the end of the year in addition to all their regular duties is asking a bit much.

But I guess you already know about that stuff.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yawn...........
Yea talking teaching always brings out a yawn. Kinda like first day back meetings where your eyes just glaze over from utter boredom...............what were we talking about?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Subwoofers :)
Good call. I still think building your own can yield much more performance/dollar than buying, but you also have to weigh a lot of other factors. Cost of tools being a biggie. Then again, if you can find someone else to build or put together a kit for you it can definitely even things out.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Here are my thoughts on the kits and Dayton in general. ShadyJ has also recommended these kits as good value for the money. I have to say that I must disagree. I've helped someone build two subwoofer kits from Dayton, I've also built a two-way bookshelf using Dayton prefinished cabinets for myself, I've used Dayton resistors, banana plugs, etc. And I think they are one of the worst audio manufacturers around. Do they offer inexpensive parts? Sure. Are they of even the most basic acceptable quality? Mostly not.

The MDF they use is super cheap and brittle. The vinyl, or painted finishes are just simply bad. The paint on the front baffles wears of by the time you screw in the drivers. The vinyl bubbles and splits in corners. Their banana connectors are cast from cheap brittle metal. Even the screw threads are cast. They strip and crack even if hand tightened with a small plastic handle watch screwdriver. Most of their designs are blatantly stolen from Scan-Speak, WBT, etc. And they pride themselves for doing it. Both Usher and Dayton have publicly said that they stole designs from Scan-Speak. And these people don't care.

The prefinished subwoofer cabinets are extremely flimsy. They vibrate, creak, crackle, etc. The subwoofer amps have such cheap parts that they are not even labeled (capacitors for example). Most certainly cheap, fake components from China. There are many reports of these amps humming, failing, etc. Although the ones I've helped built are still working after 2 years.

Now let's take the budget SVS subwoofers in comparison. They too look like they have been built on a small budget, but the basic design is done extremely well. The cabinets are solid where they need to be. Braced where they need to be. The drivers are Peerless based. The amps have decent quality parts in them and there's hardly any reports on them failing. The finish is vinyl, but flawlessly applied. It's all these little things that add up and make for a very solid product, even though it was built inexpensively. I like that.

There are many drivers (Peerless, TC Sounds, Scan-Speak, Dayton, etc.) and amps one can buy for a DIY project, but by the time a half decent box with a half decent finish is built, we are now in the mid HSU/Outlaw/SVS price range.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The only experience I have with Dayton drivers/kits is a Titanic kit my GF's Dad has and I can't say it lacks in build quality or performance. It's not a monster of a sub, but it gives pretty darn good performance, especially for the price paid.

And if that box, amp, and driver, are properly modeled and constructed, they can usually outperform similarly priced commercial offerings. If you want to put in the effort.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
FWIW, in looking at some sub-$500 subs, I can't say I found the 10" Titanic kit all that appealing at $400. The performance modeling I did doesn't suggest it'll outperform the $499 SVS SB-1000, and things like the 1 year warranty on the amp and slow response I'm getting to some pretty straightforward questions aren't very reassuring. I shot Dayton a query for info this past weekend along with Hsu & SVS. Got full responses from Hsu & SVS on Monday morning, and an initial reply with no answers from Dayton yesterday.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can someone please advise your thoughts on the BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub. Main use 90% sports and HT and 10% music.
Also has anyone purchased anything from sounddistributors.com?
Yes. I did. I paid about $275 shipped. It will definitely shake and rattle your walls. Won't be as accurate and tight as higher end subs, but for $275, what can you expect? :D It can output 110dB @ 50Hz from 2m distance. Not bad for a $275 sub.
2m output @ 20Hz, 25Hz, 32Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz: 84/
96.2/
102.5/
107.7/
110.4/
108.1/
106.5/

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
FWIW, in looking at some sub-$500 subs, I can't say I found the 10" Titanic kit all that appealing at $400. The performance modeling I did doesn't suggest it'll outperform the $499 SVS SB-1000, and things like the 1 year warranty on the amp and slow response I'm getting to some pretty straightforward questions aren't very reassuring. I shot Dayton a query for info this past weekend along with Hsu & SVS. Got full responses from Hsu & SVS on Monday morning, and an initial reply with no answers from Dayton yesterday.
Are Dayton and PE different? The one time I had an issue (not with a Dayton product, but with a PE order) PE got back quickly and resolved things pretty well. That doesn't sound reassuring though, I hope they're not a company that moves enough product to not care about losing a customer here and there. That's one thing that is hard to beat when you buy a sub from HSU, SVS, PSA, etc, the excellent customer service. When you take that into account building your own almost seems like you're a glutton for punishment :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It can output 110dB @ 50Hz from 2m distance. Not bad for a $275 sub.
But with what distortion? :p Other than that, no argument :D

I forget is it 30% that is the threshold for a useable measurement for CEA?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis