Thking about picking up a new iMac? Think again!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
As noted by Other World Computing, Apple has implemented a new temperature sensor system on its latest iMac models that significantly hampers the ability of users to replace their original hard drives in the case of failure or a desire to upgrade. Without the custom 7-pin hard drive cable and proprietary firmware included on stock hard drives in the new machines, the new iMacs' fans spin to full speed and the machines fail to pass the Apple Hardware Test.

"For the main 3.5" SATA hard drive bay in the new 2011 machines, Apple has altered the SATA power connector itself from a standard 4-pin power configuration to a 7-pin configuration. Hard drive temperature control is regulated by a combination of this cable and Apple proprietary firmware on the hard drive itself. From our testing, we've found that removing this drive from the system, or even from that bay itself, causes the machine's hard drive fans to spin at maximum speed and replacing the drive with any non-Apple original drive will result in the iMac failing the Apple Hardware Test (AHT)."

As the report notes, the change does mean that anyone seeking to replace the hard drive in a new iMac will have to go through Apple, limiting options and increasing costs.

"It is not a matter of "if" but rather a matter of "when" your hard drive is going to fail. We preach this all the time in regards to having a proper backup strategy in place to prepare from when that failure happens. But it seems now, that when that happens to the main drive on your iMac, you're left with two options - buy a new drive from Apple and have them install it via one of their Authorized Service Centers, or enjoy the rather large Apple logoed paperweight on your desk. Want a 3.5" drive larger than 2TB? Too bad - Apple doesn't offer them."

Apple has not officially supported do-it-yourself hard drive replacements on the iMac for many years, but many users have still elected to take on the task themselves or have others not specifically authorized by Apple perform the swap for them.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/apple-restricts-hard-drive-replacements-on-new-imacs-2/

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Someone will address it and offer replacement drives that work or a software fix. It's only a matter of time. I don't see it as a big deal anyway. I have yet to ever fill up 500 gig drive as my main drive and with thunderbolt connection it is kind of a moot point. It does make you wonder why they did it though. Not sure I buy into the whole conspiracy thing of them wanting total control or not but it is weird.

I WILL get an extended warranty though if I get one.

Last edited:
Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
My question is, why the hell do you need a propriatary tempertaure sensor and control on a hard drive?

Edit: Jeff, fix his title, it's bothering my super ADD.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
On a side note....bulldozer is right around the corner!

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Dozer is out in June
Ivy is coming 1Q 2012

Bulldozer finally promises to be a true next gen arcitechture and not a carbon copy of K8 with more cores.

Which is ironic because they use silicon.....

ZING.

I love beer.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dozer is out in June
Ivy is coming 1Q 2012

Bulldozer finally promises to be a true next gen arcitechture and not a carbon copy of K8 with more cores.

Which is ironic because they use silicon.....

ZING.

I love beer.
Dozer hopes and dreams to catch up with SB and they probably will... at-least for a little while, but most likely in Q4 2011 (or early Q1 2012) shall be crushed by IB...

p.s: Bear in mind - My last CPU was K8 X2 3800+ .... just saying - i'm not anyone's fanboy

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Dozer hopes and dreams to catch up with SB and they probably will... at-least for a little while, but most likely in Q4 2011 (or early Q1 2012) shall be crushed by IB...

p.s: Bear in mind - My last CPU was K8 X2 3800+ .... just saying - i'm not anyone's fanboy
Yeah I go both ways too....ahh wait a second....

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General

Most likely

I tend to steer towards AMD simply because I don't like having a furnace in my room. I don't knock intel though, they definitely have the best performing CPU's out right now by a long shot.

But when it comes down to it, you place someone in front of an AMD PC and an Intel PC and they're not going to be able to tell the difference.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Most likely

I tend to steer towards AMD simply because I don't like having a furnace in my room. I don't knock intel though, they definitely have the best performing CPU's out right now by a long shot.

But when it comes down to it, you place someone in front of an AMD PC and an Intel PC and they're not going to be able to tell the difference.
I can always tell .....the OEM sticker on the front gives it away. :p

I also found some images that show the scale of the performance between the two (bigger is better). :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I also found some images that show the scale of the performance between the two (bigger is better). :)
:D
The main reason I picked SB over AMD was that AMD is really good in heavily multithreaded apps, but pretty much average or worse in single thread apps (aka most games)
SB's (at the time) unique capability to dynamically o/c single core on demand is what made SB cpu's attractive to me over amd as same price point - $200
I added extra $20 for K - unlocked processor to be able to have more fun with it later :)

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I know you're not one of those people who plaster their case with badges that list their entire rig in semi adhesive graphics. :)

:D
The main reason I picked SB over AMD was that AMD is really good in heavily multithreaded apps, but pretty much average or worse in single thread apps (aka most games)
SB's (at the time) unique capability to dynamically o/c single core on demand is what made SB cpu's attractive to me over amd as same price point - $200
I added extra $20 for K - unlocked processor to be able to have more fun with it later :)
Yeah I agree, and you should be able to get 4.2-4.3 easily out of that cpu.

However, as more and more games become highly threaded you'll quickly see single threaded performance fall to highly scalable chips. Hopefully Battlefield 3 will set a benchmark for highly threaded games. I think the worst advertising AMD has done in the last year is the "Their 4 or our 6" campaign. When your 6 core chip offers inferior performance to their 4 core why would you want to draw attention to it?

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I never cared of Apple / Mac or Mr. Jobs.

Ever since the clash of "Power Computing", I think he was scared that CEO Kong was going to make a better POS then his Mac, POS.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis