This is gonna go over real well with the Chinese.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
'NEW ORLEANS — Thousands of U.S. homes tainted by Chinese drywall should be gutted, according to new guidelines released Friday by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The guidelines say electrical wiring, outlets, circuit breakers, fire alarm systems, carbon monoxide alarms, fire sprinklers, gas pipes and drywall need to be removed.
U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., said now the question is who pays to gut the homes.

"The way I see it, homeowners didn't cause this. The manufacturers in China did," Nelson said. "That's why we've got to go after the Chinese government now."Southern members of Congress have sought to make it easier to sue Chinese manufacturers and to get the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help homeowners pay for costs not covered by insurance. They also say the U.S. needs to pressure the Chinese government, which allegedly ran some of the companies that made defective drywall.'

Wanna know how to say "fluck you" in Chinese? I think we're gonna find out real soon.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
'NEW ORLEANS — Thousands of U.S. homes tainted by Chinese drywall should be gutted, according to new guidelines released Friday by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The guidelines say electrical wiring, outlets, circuit breakers, fire alarm systems, carbon monoxide alarms, fire sprinklers, gas pipes and drywall need to be removed.
U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., said now the question is who pays to gut the homes.

"The way I see it, homeowners didn't cause this. The manufacturers in China did," Nelson said. "That's why we've got to go after the Chinese government now."Southern members of Congress have sought to make it easier to sue Chinese manufacturers and to get the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help homeowners pay for costs not covered by insurance. They also say the U.S. needs to pressure the Chinese government, which allegedly ran some of the companies that made defective drywall.'

Wanna know how to say "fluck you" in Chinese? I think we're gonna find out real soon.
We should never have got into bed with them in the first place, and we need to get out of bed with them. They still have a vile system of governance and that is a big issue with me.

J

jamie2112

Banned
WOW I am SOOOOOO suprised at this.What the HE** do you expect.China has been in the crap selling buisness for a long time now.We should not buy anything from China, EVER. Their way of smothering their people is horrible and their products suck! I feel no remorse for the stupid US company that sold the drywall and built the houses.They made a crapload of cash on the deal I am sure and now they will be into their profits hardcore.....Yeah suing the Chinese Gov ain't gonna work here.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
This freaks me out a bit as we are having a house built. But the article mentions mostly Eastern states.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This freaks me out a bit as we are having a house built. But the article mentions mostly Eastern states.
You can (and I would) specify that they use USG drywall and joint compound in your home. It's a weird brand preference thing with me ... I also insist on Sherwin Williams paint (Promar 200). I can't remember why anymore but there it is.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
We should never have got into bed with them in the first place, and we need to get out of bed with them. They still have a vile system of governance and that is a big issue with me.
Amen to that. Walmart, Harbor Freight, and similar companies have seduced a lot of Americans with their low prices (and usually poor quality), but what's the alternative? The Godless Commie Slavemasters have taken over a huge segment of manufacturing, and I don't see any viable competitors at the moment. :(

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
You can (and I would) specify that they use USG drywall and joint compound in your home. It's a weird brand preference thing with me ... I also insist on Sherwin Williams paint (Promar 200). I can't remember why anymore but there it is.
Unfortunately, buying USG drywall isn't 100% resilient towards this issue. USG has been noted as buying the Chinese drywall and putting their labels on the product. :(

http://www.millennialliving.com/content/problems-chinese-manufactured-drywall

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
it would be nice if we would make our own products, seriously, this is america and we are forking out wages to foreign countries instead of employing our own people and manufacturing the high quality products we are capable of.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Walmart, Harbor Freight, and similar companies have seduced a lot of Americans with their low prices (and usually poor quality), but what's the alternative?
Poor quality at Walmart, dunno about that, but for Harbor Freight certainly. I bought a couple minor items at Harbor Freight once on someone's recommendation and learned quickly that they really are the house of You Get What You Pay For. Totally crap products that are not even worth the ridiculously low prices. The only way I'd take their products now is for free.

it would be nice if we would make our own products, seriously, this is america and we are forking out wages to foreign countries instead of employing our own people and manufacturing the high quality products we are capable of.
The dollar speaks louder than the convictions of the average American. Loyalty has a pricetag. I'm not such a person, but plenty are and we all know others that are if we're not.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
The dollar speaks louder than the convictions of the average American. Loyalty has a pricetag. I'm not such a person, but plenty are and we all know others that are if we're not.
You sure about that? Check your sig "e-Great EG-M34A NMT". :)

Made in China round eye!!:p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Poor quality at Walmart, dunno about that, but for Harbor Freight certainly. I bought a couple minor items at Harbor Freight once on someone's recommendation and learned quickly that they really are the house of You Get What You Pay For. Totally crap products that are not even worth the ridiculously low prices. The only way I'd take their products now is for free.

I'm pretty sure that either the administration, or Congress will declare the Chinese currency manipulators within the next few months, may be within a month.

That will put a 70% tariff on all Chinese goods immediately. I reckon that will slightly more than double the cost of a lot of HT gear, certainly most receivers, pre/pros. amps and players.

Nemo128

Nemo128

You sure about that? Check your sig "e-Great EG-M34A NMT". :)

Made in China round eye!!:p
No NMT is made in America with American parts. Maybe I'm mistaken, and if so, show me the product and I'll get one. Not my fault we don't produce the product I want. :p

And don't say WD. They don't use American parts, even if their plant in TX produces them (it doesn't).

Nemo128

Nemo128

I reckon that will slightly more than double the cost of a lot of HT gear, certainly most receivers, pre/pros. amps and players.
That's what I'm wondering, how many of these products are actually made in America with American labor and American components? Do those companies even exist?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Was any of this drywall sold in countries other than the US?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
No NMT is made in America with American parts. Maybe I'm mistaken, and if so, show me the product and I'll get one. Not my fault we don't produce the product I want. :p

And don't say WD. They don't use American parts, even if their plant in TX produces them (it doesn't).
I know....my comments are in jest. I have 2 Egreat's and a Popcorn Hour. :p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's what I'm wondering, how many of these products are actually made in America with American labor and American components? Do those companies even exist?
We have not made a TV in the US since the early seventies. The Zenith factory was the last one standing. Apart form speakers pretty much everything else is from the Far East. There is some high end gear from the US and Europe and Japan. Pretty much nothing of the equipment we discuss on these forums comes from the US or Europe, and precious little from Japan now.

By the way, this developing spat over currency with China was the dominant factor in the timing of my recent upgrade.

Nemo128

Nemo128

We have not made a TV in the US since the early seventies. The Zenith factory was the last one standing. Apart form speakers pretty much everything else is from the Far East. There is some high end gear from the US and Europe and Japan. Pretty much nothing of the equipment we discuss on these forums comes from the US or Europe, and precious little from Japan now.

By the way, this developing spat over currency with China was the dominant factor in the timing of my recent upgrade.
I have no problem with quality foreign products. Admittedly I would like to see US companies compete, but I drive an Acura for a reason. HOWEVER, I want it to be known that my next car may be a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 :cool::D

I have a serious problem with shoddy foreign products, and I wouldn't buy crappy foreign products over quality domestic products unless the cost is drastically unreasonable. Like, a $50 pair of US-made underwear. I think not. Whatever keeps my balls warm. :D

EDIT: I'm about to buy a new HPA tank for my paintball marker. A Crossfire built right in the good ole US of A in Kalamazoo. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have no problem with quality foreign products. Admittedly I would like to see US companies compete, but I drive an Acura for a reason. HOWEVER, I want it to be known that my next car may be a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 :cool::D

I have a serious problem with shoddy foreign products, and I wouldn't buy crappy foreign products over quality domestic products unless the cost is drastically unreasonable. Like, a $50 pair of US-made underwear. I think not. Whatever keeps my balls warm. :D
The question is what is competition. I think there is good data that the Yuan is at least 40% undervalued. If we allow that to go unchecked we will be ruined, and never get back to reasonable levels of unemployment.

So really if the Yuan was correctly valued, by the time the retailer gets his mark up, your Chinese pants and audio gear would be double the price, which sounds about right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis