Third Speaker channel

R

Rorschach138

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha R-S700 stereo receiver with a set of mains in the living room and some smaller speakers in an adjacent office. Was wondering if there was any way to run a third set of (very) small speakers to the kitchen. The Yamaha does have second zone capabilities, but it seems like overkill as the second amp would be just feet away from the main.

If I did go with the second zone, can anyone recommend a decent compact amp sub $200US?

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That S700 has B terminals so you can run a separate set of speakers from it. As long as you don't go crazy with the volume and the second set of speakers aren't a heavy load, it should be fine. You'll be able to select between A and B, just be careful not to crank it when both sets of them are on.

R

Rorschach138

Audiophyte
Thanks j_garcia,

Unfortunately, I'm already using both channels with B running the speakers in the office. I'm thinking now I'll probably need the second zone.

The user manual seems to indicate that the zone 2 amp needs to be a Yamaha component as well. Does anyone know if that's for real? I wouldn't be using the remote for the second zone or anything.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The zone 2 amp doesn't have to be a Yamaha. They're selling their product.

They sell "impedance matching selector switches" that allow you to add more speakers to an amplifier without harming it. Yes, it's not the most efficient thing out there but it prevents blowing up your amp.

If your amp can handle 5 ohms, then this can work.

http://www.parts-express.com/wired-home-ss4-speaker-selector-impedance-matching-1-in-4-out--300-970

Remember, you're already compromising your system by usilg both your A and B channels. You might want to consider connecting ALL your speakers to this.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Emotiva Mini X-A100. I've used a number of the cheap Chinese amps out there with mixed results, but have been very pleased with the Mini.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis