Thinking about changing my speakers from Adam A7Xs to RBH SX-61/r or Monitor GX100s...

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
The upgrade bug seems to have bit again, so I'm currently pondering whether or not I should swap my Adam A7X speakers, which I'm using for my computer, for something else. The two speakers I'm debating between are the RBH SX-61/R bookshelves, or the Monitor Audio GX100s. I have no idea which of the two would serve me better, or if they would represent a worthwhile upgrade from the Adams.

Anyway, I would be using an Emotiva XPA-2 as the amp, and am pairing the speakers with a Rythmik E15 subwoofer. Keep in mind that as these are computer speakers, I'd have them positioned pretty close to where I'm sitting, so I'm not sure if that's going to be a concern...

So what should I do here? Or should I be looking into buying something else entirely?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Only reason to upgrade is if you think the Adam speakers don't sound all that great or if they look ugly. :D

Save your money for something much bigger down the line. Start dreaming and saving. :)

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
Only reason to upgrade is if you think the Adam speakers don't sound all that great or if they look ugly. :D

Save your money for something much bigger down the line. Start dreaming and saving. :)
Lol, I'll be honest -- a lot of it is because the Adams are pretty ugly, and after being moved around a lot, they're kinda beat up. Figure that means there's no time like the present.

C

canelli

Audioholic
There are two speakers I would add to your list: Kef LS50, and Kef R300.

Kef has a program for in home trials and it was super easy when I auditioned their gear. I never felt pressured to buy and they were very responsive.

If I were looking at a near field computer monitor, the LS50 would at the first on my list. I am not sure if they do a in home trial with those speakers, but you could audition the R300. With a competent sub, I believe the LS50 would be very hard to beat for computer monitors.

I ended up chosing the R300 due to sitting distance (15ft away) and having to fill an entire room at high levels of listening without a sub.

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, I'll be honest -- a lot of it is because the Adams are pretty ugly, and after being moved around a lot, they're kinda beat up. Figure that means there's no time like the present.
Understandable. :D

Well, if I were to choose between those 2, I would choose the RBH Signature Reference.

Are you using subwoofers?

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
Understandable. :D

Well, if I were to choose between those 2, I would choose the RBH Signature Reference.

Are you using subwoofers?
Yeah, a Rythmik E15.

Why would you go for the RBH over the Monitor?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, a Rythmik E15.

Why would you go for the RBH over the Monitor?
Oh, yeah, you already said Rythmik. Man, I need to learn to read. :D

Well, I did not hear those exact 2 models you listed, so my opinion is just based on my past experience. And I just thought the RBH sounded better. The RBH T2 sounded great, so I assume the SX-61/R would also sound great.

Of course, actual audition is the preferred MO. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I really like the KEF suggestions for computer speakers. The distance makes the coaxials a great choice.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I really like the KEF suggestions for computer speakers. The distance makes the coaxials a great choice.
Are the KEFs really a huge upgrade (or an upgrade at all) over his Adams? If it's an aesthetics thing, then understandable. But if really looking for an upgrade, you have pretty good speakers to start with.

I didn't see any budget mentioned, so I'll throw another option out there
JBL LSR6328P Package | Sweetwater.com

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
Are the KEFs really a huge upgrade (or an upgrade at all) over his Adams? If it's an aesthetics thing, then understandable. But if really looking for an upgrade, you have pretty good speakers to start with.

I didn't see any budget mentioned, so I'll throw another option out there
JBL LSR6328P Package | Sweetwater.com
Heh, it really does look more and more like I'll probably just go for another set of active monitors... just makes so much more sense in a computer setting.

So how much of an upgrade would those be over my A7Xs in terms of sound quality? And how would they compare to other stuff in the same range, like the Event Opals or one of the Genelec offerings?

While the A7Xs have definitely served me well, it's that extra bit of clarity and... crispness, I guess, that I'm trying to get. I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with JBL's studio offerings -- the only stuff I've heard from them was the stuff they have at Best Buy, which wasn't particularly impressive. But then, obviously that's their low-end stuff.

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
What about the active Focal or Dynaudio monitors?

Like the Focal Solo6 Be. Beryllium tweeter for $2,700/PR. Probably the least expensive speaker you can buy with beryllium tweeters.

Focal Solo6 Be (6.5" Monitor) | Sweetwater.com

Dynaudio | Sweetwater.com
I did take note of the Focals, which are obviously the prettiest of the speakers (not that that's the most important thing, obviously, but it doesn't hurt.) Beryllium tweeter does sound promising, but I'm not sure how they'd compare to the ~$3000 range stuff from Event, Genelec, etc.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Heh, it really does look more and more like I'll probably just go for another set of active monitors... just makes so much more sense in a computer setting.

So how much of an upgrade would those be over my A7Xs in terms of sound quality? And how would they compare to other stuff in the same range, like the Event Opals or one of the Genelec offerings?

While the A7Xs have definitely served me well, it's that extra bit of clarity and... crispness, I guess, that I'm trying to get. I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with JBL's studio offerings -- the only stuff I've heard from them was the stuff they have at Best Buy, which wasn't particularly impressive. But then, obviously that's their low-end stuff.
I'm not sure, as I've never heard the Adams and that's where your own auditioning is important.

But I think I would expect the KEF LS50s to sound more balanced and resolving in the midrange than the Adams in a typical setup. Expect being the key word to note.

Since you mentioned Genelec, I'd also highly recommend looking into the 8260As. One of my most-wanted speakers :D

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
I'm not sure, as I've never heard the Adams and that's where your own auditioning is important.

But I think I would expect the KEF LS50s to sound more balanced and resolving in the midrange than the Adams in a typical setup. Expect being the key word to note.

Since you mentioned Genelec, I'd also highly recommend looking into the 8260As. One of my most-wanted speakers :D
Lol, yeah, the 8260As are nice, I'm sure... but that sure as **** ain't happening.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Are the KEFs really a huge upgrade (or an upgrade at all) over his Adams?

"The KEF LS50 may be relatively affordable, but it offers superb measured performance - John Atkinson"
However, the smooth integration of the decay of the tweeter step into the start of the woofer step implies optimal crossover design and correlates with the excellent integration of their outputs in the frequency domain seen in fig.3. The cumulative spectral-decay plot on the tweeter axis (fig.9) shows an astonishingly clean decay at all frequencies

ADAM A7X Badamy ADAMy A7X (recenzja) | Twój poziom odniesienia
adam_pasmo.jpg

LS50
1212KEF50fig3.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis