Things they want me to believe

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
He needs to prove it as a fact, not hearsay, belief, or speculation that it is audible.
I hear ya , but if one 'believes' and in his or her mind they enjoy their music better for it, well to each there own. I understand your point though .......

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We may as well all wear the emperor's new clothes while we're at it then :)

ps Take that back, the idea of you guys sitting around nekkid listening to music is grossing me out.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
It took some time, but you've finally gotten to something specific, that the designer of your amp says they perform better when warm.

That may very well be true for that design and possibly his designs in general. But it only tells us that his design (or designs) work that way. It says nothing about solid state amps with different designs, or solid state amps in general. And it doesn't tell us whether the improved distortion levels he measured when the amps had warmed. were audibly noticeable.
If what the ss amp designer and Nelson Pass say is true, audable or not, would it apply to a DAC as well?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If what the ss amp designer and Nelson Pass say is true, audable or not, would it apply to a DAC as well?
The DAC does no amplification, so probably not.

When Nelson Pass was talking about 'warmed up' vs. cold distortion levels, I think he meant only the amplifier itself.

Is your DAC a stand alone unit? Or is it part of an amp or receiver?

W

Wildings

Audioholic
The DAC does no amplification, so probably not.

When Nelson Pass was talking about 'warmed up' vs. cold distortion levels, I think he meant only the amplifier itself.
Thank you.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
You're welcome :).

Is your DAC a stand-alone unit? Or is it part of an amp or receiver?
Stand alone..does not even have a USB to SPDIF converter, that is also a stand alone unit (Musical Fidelity V Link 192) which receives from computer.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Stand alone..does not even have a USB to SPDIF converter, that is also a stand alone unit (Musical Fidelity V Link 192) which receives from computer.
I just looked up the Music Fidelity V Link 192. It's the USB to SPDIF converter.
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/v-link192/4_VLiNK192_manual.pdf

It operates at low power, no higher than 5 volts and 160 mA, which it draws off of a computer. It will operate in accordance with it's specifications within a room temperature range of 5 to 45° C (41 to 113° F). So warm up is not an issue here.

What's the name of your DAC?

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I just looked up the Music Fidelity V Link 192. It's the USB to SPDIF converter.
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/v-link192/4_VLiNK192_manual.pdf

It operates at low power, no higher than 5 volts and 160 mA, which it draws off of a computer. It will operate in accordance with it's specifications within a room temperature range of 5 to 45° C (41 to 113° F). So warm up is not an issue here.

What's the name of your DAC?
The DAC is Musical Fidelity M1 DAC Upsampling D/A Converter

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The DAC is Musical Fidelity M1 DAC Upsampling D/A Converter
The M1 output stage is Op amps based according to Stereophile, I doubt it needs any more than a couple of minutes to warm up.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
The M1 output stage is Op amps based according to Stereophile, I doubt it needs any more than a couple of minutes to warm up.
Very good. Thank you for taking time to advise. I have been powering DAC and Burson headphone amp up before listening sessions, and occasionally leave on for couple days. Anyway, well ventilated. Used to plug into typical Home Depo power strip, but ceased on advice that would not protect from nearby lightning, and might degrade audio (somehow...beyond my understanding).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Very good. Thank you for taking time to advise. I have been powering DAC and Burson headphone amp up before listening sessions, and occasionally leave on for couple days. Anyway, well ventilated. Used to plug into typical Home Depo power strip, but ceased on advice that would not protect from nearby lightning, and might degrade audio (somehow...beyond my understanding).
The power strip is very unlikely to degrade the audio.

And, there are VERY FEW options that will protect against lightning, and no consumer grade power strip or surge protector will do that job. Whole-house surge protection is the only really effective protection against a lightning strike. Or, the best protection of all--Unplug Everything (and don't forget to unplug your cable co's coax cables too).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There's not much that can protect from lightning- either it will be self-sacrificial, or it will just pass the surge. The energy of lightning is incredibly high and a simple device or circuit can only do a limited amount to help. Some surge protectors can handle 6500 Joules- a bolt of lightning is around 5 Billion Joules, often more. You can think in terms of Watts/second for an equivalent amount of energy.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
There's not much that can protect from lightning- either it will be self-sacrificial, or it will just pass the surge. The energy of lightning is incredibly high and a simple device or circuit can only do a limited amount to help. Some surge protectors can handle 6500 Joules- a bolt of lightning is around 5 Billion Joules, often more. You can think in terms of Watts/second for an equivalent amount of energy.
Thank you. I do understand that my home circuit breakers are not fast enough to protect against lightning. Is there any reason other than convenience to use a typical $50 power strip?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Surge protection is not about direct lightning hits. But lightning strikes some distance away can generate many thousands of volts potential difference from one side of your property to the other.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you. I do understand that my home circuit breakers are not fast enough to protect against lightning. Is there any reason other than convenience to use a typical $50 power strip?
Circuit breakers are there to break the circuit if the rated current draw is exceeded. They have nothing to do with lightning protection.

Nope, a power strip is for convenience, any of those surge Joule ratings, I really don't trust much. Good luck trying to get a surge protector vendor to cover your lost gear.

I also like the power strips that have a single power button, so I can power on / off all of my gear with a single switch.

But, that's about all a power strip is really good for.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Circuit breakers are there to break the circuit if the rated current draw is exceeded. They have nothing to do with lightning protection.

Nope, a power strip is for convenience, any of those surge Joule ratings, I really don't trust much. Good luck trying to get a surge protector vendor to cover your lost gear.

I also like the power strips that have a single power button, so I can power on / off all of my gear with a single switch.

But, that's about all a power strip is really good for.
My power strip does have an on off switch....with off selected, would gear plugged in have much protection from a lightning storm nearby? I have heard of such devices actually catching on fire from a surge....mine is metal so slight benefit there. I stopped using it because an audio dealer told me it was degrading my sound....of which I was rightfully skeptical as I learned from this forum.

highfigh

highfigh

Surge protection is not about direct lightning hits. But lightning strikes some distance away can generate many thousands of volts potential difference from one side of your property to the other.
Read the comment that I replied to.

highfigh

highfigh

My power strip does have an on off switch....with off selected, would gear plugged in have much protection from a lightning storm nearby? I have heard of such devices actually catching on fire from a surge....mine is metal so slight benefit there. I stopped using it because an audio dealer told me it was degrading my sound....of which I was rightfully skeptical as I learned from this forum.
Not necessarily. Even if the bolt passes by, it can induce current at extremely high levels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis