D

dcc

Enthusiast
I have a friend who is thinking of purchasing a Onkyo THX 7.1, and at $1200. can't help but think that his money might be better spent, but I honestly don't know that much about the system.

Is this system worth it, or would he be better off investing it in something like a mid priced refurbished Denon receiver and building from there?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dcc said:
I have a friend who is thinking of purchasing a Onkyo THX 7.1, and at $1200. can't help but think that his money might be better spent, but I honestly don't know that much about the system.

Is this system worth it, or would he be better off investing it in something like a mid priced refurbished Denon receiver and building from there?

Well, the answer is not that simple as much depends on it. I suppose he is setting up a home theater? Is it with what is in the subject line a set of speakers in a box from a big store? Room size? Listening habits? Volume levels, importance of sound quality? Music reproduction? Etc.

It is very possible that a less expensive unit would be sufficient as well.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
The only thing I know of Onkyo is that some people swear by them.

I did a google and came up with this link here where an Onkyo THX receiver is listed at $697.

One thing; "home theater in a box" is used to refer to an all in one system that includes a receiver, 5 speakers, a sub and all the cables.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
dcc said:

Tell your friend that he needs to pick his speakers first, and they will dictate what receiver he should get. No ands, ifs or buts about it. I have no specific information about that particular Onkyo, but in general I have not heard of owners having trouble with them and they are a decent brand.

Nick

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Despite everyone's opinion on THX

Onkyo went through the trouble to build a complete system to THX specs. You don't have to piece meal it together, it's all there and it represents the way a THX sound system is supposed to reproduce a certain sound.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
If it is that system then it looks like a pretty good deal to me - but I'm in expensive Europe and for me most things in the US look like a pretty good deal. :(

It probably won’t be able to get extremely loud with those speaker sensitivities though but otherwise, well, I've bought a lot worse in the past. :eek:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
THX system

I haven't seen any reviews, but the Onkyo THX is probably a pretty good entry level system. Some alternatives might be the SVS 5.1 system or the Onix X-LS speakers with a mid-fi receiver from Yamaha, Denon, HK, etc.

In the past, electronics manufactures like Onkyo, Yamaha, Panasonic, Sony, etc. have not been know to produce high perfromance speakers and subs, but this could be an exception.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis