The Witcher, Blood Origin - Even worse than the reviews make it out to be

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I knew what I was getting into when I went to Netflix at 5am.
  • This ranks as the top 1 or 2 WORST things ever put on TV - Netflix should pay me for time I spent watching it, albiet brief
  • I knew from the first 1 minute of the story, bad cinematography, terrible writing, this was going to suck
  • I have already gone on about this series, just Don't waste your time. The 13% on Rotten Tomatoes was generous. I got though most of the first episode, fell asleep, and will never look back. At least it help put me back to sleep.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One of the writers wrote 11 episodes of "Bosch" and 8 episodes of "Man in the High Castle".
One of the writers wrote 6 episodes of "Swamp Thing 2019".
One of the writers wrote 10 episodes of "Krypton 2019" and 10 episodes of "Snowpiercer".

So I am hoping that maybe episode ONE was written by some other dumb writer/director and the rest are written by these other writers. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One of the writers wrote 11 episodes of "Bosch" and 8 episodes of "Man in the High Castle".
One of the writers wrote 6 episodes of "Swamp Thing 2019".
One of the writers wrote 10 episodes of "Krypton 2019" and 10 episodes of "Snowpiercer".

So I am hoping that maybe episode ONE was written by some other dumb writer/director and the rest are written by these other writers. :D
I think I am correct on my prediction in that the writers probably did a good job with what they were given.

I am sure the directors and producers/production (NFLX) had a huge part in the CAST and how things went down. For example, the PQ looked great (NFLX uses awesome digital 4-8K resolution cameras), but that monster/CGI looked bad to me.

The main thing I always think about is whether the contents have any FACE-PALM moments. Are there any situations where the characters would do the dumbest things in the world that nobody in their gods loving minds would ever do? With Blood Origins, although the plot/story may not be believable, I don't think there are any Face-Palm moments.

In contrast, I think there are a lot of Face-Palm moments in The Witcher, especially season #1.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I am correct on my prediction in that the writers probably did a good job with what they were given.
What writers were given were bestselling books as a source. I know that the Witcher show while somewhat entertaining didn't really succeed at becoming the next GoT. In fact nowhere near it. It's a worst-kept secret that at least one (nerdy) actor did not care much for their writing and I agree.

I'm so much a fan of Witcher (video games) that I am downloading the latest (very recently major update) Witcher 3 (PC) game and will likely do yet another replay through it. I will also watch this TV spin-off, but it likely won't be on top of my list.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What writers were given were bestselling books as a source. I know that the Witcher show while somewhat entertaining didn't really succeed at becoming the next GoT. In fact nowhere near it. It's a worst-kept secret that at least one (nerdy) actor did not care much for their writing and I agree.
I was referring to the budget and time constraint - finish the entire season in 4 episodes.

Oh, yeah, I think the writing of "The Witcher" sucks. :D

If I had to choose between the writers of "Blood Origin" (who did Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Krypton) vs "The Witcher", I would choose the writers of "Blood Origin".

I don't really like the cast and CGI and overall "feel" of Blood Origin, but I think the writers did what they could to save it from being MUCH WORSE. The story was severely RUSHED and budget was mostly likely cut to death, so overall I feel like the writers saved a ship that was already sinking before the writing started. :D

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My brutal feedback
  • Special effects in Witcher BO makes Sharknado look like Industrial Light and Magic (acting is better to)
  • Michelle Yeoh was the only saving grace, every other actor was over dramatic with poor source material
  • You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop, and the writing was just that bad, no matter who directed
There is a reason that fans gave it a 10% (down 3% from my original post) rating on rotten tomatoes (besides being pissed about Henry C) It is that bad. If there is much worse, I really don't know what that is

It is pretty funny to read the reviews by fans on rotten tomatoes, that is much more entertaining than the actual mini series :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, felt that way the little I watched of the original series....had no intention of spending any more time on it and this is a nice confirmation, thanks.

That's a classic line that this makes Sharknado look like an ILM job....that's hard to imagine :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, felt that way the little I watched of the original series....had no intention of spending any more time on it and this is a nice confirmation, thanks.
I quit watching the original "Witcher" series about 10 times before forcing myself to finish - it was painful. And that was just season 1. :D

It's still not good, but I probably went into "Blood Origin" with a much more open mind than most people because I saw that the writing credits included writers from "Bosch" and "Man in the High Castle".

I would say this, if the writers of the original "Witcher" series had also written "Blood Origin", there's no way in hell I would have given "Blood Origin" 1 minute of my time. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I quit watching the original "Witcher" series about 10 times before forcing myself to finish - it was painful. And that was just season 1. :D

It's still not good, but I probably went into "Blood Origin" with a much more open mind than most people because I saw that the writing credits included writers from "Bosch" and "Man in the High Castle".

I would say this, if the writers of the original "Witcher" series had also written "Blood Origin", there's no way in hell I would have given "Blood Origin" 1 minute of my time. :D
Those particular writers perhaps are just hacks, playing around with real writers' works? That they are in three fairly different genres....might not have been an indication of expertise at all ? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those particular writers perhaps are just hacks, playing around with real writers' works? That they are in three fairly different genres....might not have been an indication of expertise at all ? :)
Or the writings might be good, but the directors and producers just butchered it. :D

We know what producers from Stars Wars can do, and NFLX producers might be the same. :D

But yeah, bottom line, it's not good. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Finished Blood Origin last night. Yikes, that was pretty bad. Writing was atrocious. Can't fault the Directors too much since they only have so much to work with. What a jumbled mess that was. To rush through what could've been an awesome story in 4 episodes was such a stupid idea. At least make it a 1 season 10 episode series. I give this show a 3/10 rating.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis