The VIZIO M801d-A3 80: 80 inches of LED goodness for $4k

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you are looking for a giant TV that isn't priced astronomically high, the VIZIO M801d-A3 80" Razor LED might not be a bad pick. However, we would warn you of uniformity and viewing angle issues with an LED this large.

Read the full VIZIO M801d-A3 80" 3D LED Smart TV Preview"

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Nice price for the size. I wish it was a little thicker so it could have a full array backlight, but I guess I'd need to see an actual review and measurements before I complain about it being edgelit :D

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
Nice price for the size. I wish it was a little thicker so it could have a full array backlight, but I guess I'd need to see an actual review and measurements before I complain about it being edgelit :D
I bet an actual review would find a number of little issues with the picture.

I can't stand seeing the backlight bleed through around the edges of edge-lit LEDs. And the viewing angle really erks me as well.

For $4k, you could get an amazing projector and screen for a theater. But, then again, I doubt people will use this TV in a theater anyway.

AVisualGeek

AVisualGeek

Enthusiast
Super Super Super Wow

We had been looking for a TV to for-fill our needs for awhile now but the prices were just far too high. We had our eyes on another brand who makes an 80 and 90 inch TV (I won't mention the brand out of respect to Vizio) but other brand's quality wasn't there in my opinion. Then came Vizio! They announced this 80 inch tv and we rushed to the store to see for ourselves as we have bought Vizio in the past and have been very happy. Sadly...none of the stores had them locally so we couldn't see it in person to test it out.

So we were stuck looking at reviews from various sites such as this one and others (like Review: VIZIO M801d-A3 80-Inch M-Series LED Smart TV | Poc Network - Tech Blog had a good one) that had a well-written take on it. After reading these reviews I got excited as what they described was what we needed. So we finally took a deep breath and bought Vizio yet again (online this time), adding this one to the collection. Absolutely WOW!!!! Compared to the competition, this tv has been both easier on your budget AND it looks superb. So much nicer than the other brands we were looking at. Now it has been movie night after movie night after movie night after movie night. Thanks Vizio!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Nice size but no way I'd pay $4,000 for a Vizio.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Vizio has gotten a LOT better than they used to be. That still doesn't put them at the top of the ladder though.

There's nothing wrong with edge lit on a quality display. I have zero issues with mine off axis even with 3D, but how often do you really sit far enough off axis for it to be an issue? Yes there are times when you might see the edge lighting on dark scenes, but on the whole, I don't see it as a big issue. If you see it obviously all the time, you likely have it turned up too high. A full array would drive the price up quite a bit IMO, so while it may be better, the downside is it probably wouldn't sell well either due to cost.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis