The upgrade itch is slowly happening

B

BRIAN E THOMAS

Audiophyte
Hello all,

As a long time audiophile seeing the recent sales and releases, i am starting to get the itch to upgrade my system. I managed to snag a.hell of a deal on a yamaha rx-a2080 a couple years ago, and now looking at what I should replace.

Current setup:
Yamaha rx-a2080 receiver
Klipsch rf-600 towers (special limited edition and not the r-600f)
Klipsch rc-52 ii center
Klipsch rs-52 ii surrounds
Dual Klipsch Sub-12 subwoofers

I listen to baout 70% shows, 20% movies and 10% music. Although music can vary where there is a lot 1 weekend. I started thinking about upgrading the center to something like the rp-504c, but then I started thinking that I should probably replace my towers to match. I saw the RP-8000f ver. 1 towers closing out around $350, but also read that the new line is better.
What are your guys thoughs on what I should upgrade to? I like the sound of the klipsch titanium horns, and heard other softer/warm sounding speakers that I didn't like. Sounded too muffled. Not sure if there is a reason to upgrade the subwoofers, but not enough experience to say yes or no.

Additional information: Since i purchased this system, I have moved into a more open area. The room is about 14x12x8, but it has 2 sides with open squared arches to a 12x10 dining room, and my open entry way/hallway.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

As a long time audiophile seeing the recent sales and releases, i am starting to get the itch to upgrade my system. I managed to snag a.hell of a deal on a yamaha rx-a2080 a couple years ago, and now looking at what I should replace.

Current setup:
Yamaha rx-a2080 receiver
Klipsch rc-52 ii center

I listen to baout 70% shows, 20% movies and 10% music. Although music can vary where there is a lot 1 weekend. I started thinking about upgrading the center to something like the rp-504c, but then I started thinking that I should probably replace my towers to match. I saw the RP-8000f ver. 1 towers closing out around $350, but also read that the new line is better.
What are your guys thoughs on what I should upgrade to? I like the sound of the klipsch titanium horns, and heard other softer/warm sounding speakers that I didn't like. Sounded too muffled. Not sure if there is a reason to upgrade the subwoofers, but not enough experience to say yes or no.

Additional information: Since i purchased this system, I have moved into a more open area. The room is about 14x12x8, but it has 2 sides with open squared arches to a 12x10 dining room, and my open entry way/hallway.
What don't you like about your current system? In general if you want to change and upgrade your system, it is generally, speakers, speakers and speakers.

I would say that open areas like you describe, present significant challenges for AV.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If you like the Klipsch sound stage, stay with Klipsch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Upgrade to what goal? Generally it'd be speakers, personally don't care for Klipsch all that much but the RP8000s do get pretty good comments so that might be a consideration. For center you might review this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1. The subs could be improved upon, especially if willing to go beyond Klipsch. Overall, though, if the system performs well for you, just enjoy it until you actually need something.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Brian, your current setup looks great. Keep it as is and enjoy the music.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Probably sounds good. I’d replace the subs personally. Then probably work on the LCR and get into the RP line if you like Klipsch,
Then move the old mains to surround duty until you replace them someday.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
From where you're at, most improvement would likely be to analyze the acoustic properties/capabilities of your room, if you never have. Many people have their systems set up for what their spouses or sense of aesthetics will let them get away with, more than what is optimal.

Perhaps upgrade your knowledge instead, into the measurement realm and some measuring equipment, if you don't have any. This can solve so many mysteries, besides teaching you what you are/aren't hearing and why.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello all,

Current setup:
Yamaha rx-a2080 receiver
Klipsch rc-52 ii center

1st, very good choice on the Yamaha AVR.

2nd, your relatively small room (I assume sitting 9-10 FT away from speakers) means you don’t need a lot of subs or speakers. As most people say, you likely don’t need to change.

3rd, if upgrading for upgraditis and you absolutely love Klipsch (just like how some absolutely love Polk, B&W, etc.), might as well go to their flagship RF7 towers and matching Center, Surround, and Sub. Go “big” or go home. :D I don’t see the point of getting something that’s about the same price class.

Or go audition other brand of speakers to see if you find something that sounds better.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
My take is perhaps you should look to upgrading your TV / Projector? Do you have a 4K Blu-ray player? Next would be probably Subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis