The Speaker Company TST2 Floorstanding Speaker Review

N

nick51

Audioholics Approved Vendor
TST2's are on the water

For those of you who have been waiting we have TST2's on the water headed for California. We expect them some time the middle of the month. These are identical to the last run with the exception of much improved cartons and internal packaging. Despite our increased cost for the packaging improvements for the moment the price is still $449.97 a pair.

A

ace0001a

Junior Audioholic
I placed an order for a set of TST3 Towers along with a TC2 Center Channel to start off replacement of my 11 year old Paradigm Monitor 7 based setup. My Paradigms are starting to show their age and I wanted some newer budget good quality speaker technology. When I got the Monitor 7s in the late '90s, I thought they were good sounding and good value speakers. After reading the review here of the TST2s, I decided to give them a try. So far the customer service has been excellent and I look forward to getting the speakers.

A

ace0001a

Junior Audioholic
This thread has been a little quiet lately. What happened to all the interest in these speakers? Those who already own TST2 and TST3 speakers, how long does it take to break in the speakers? Does the bass smooth out and sound better after breaking in? Has anyone here tried their T300 Sub? I'm really looking forward to getting my order...just hope I'm not dissapointed.

N

nick51

Audioholics Approved Vendor
TST2 beakin

I can tell you the TST2's break-in at about 40-60 hours depending on your idea of what breaking in is. You can find some comments on the T300 in the tsc and other forums out there.

H

hypeman

Enthusiast
I have a question what are the tst-1 comparable to and. Is their a review for them on this site.

A

ace0001a

Junior Audioholic
I have a question what are the tst-1 comparable to and. Is their a review for them on this site.
While I'm sure the TST1s are good speakers and quite comparable (if not better than) to any name brand pair from companies like Polk or JBL in the $500 price range. For the money, I'd rather spend the extra $100 for a pair of the TST2s instead. The review here for the TST2s is what first got my attention about TSC speakers and helped steer my choice to order a pair of the TST3s. I figured at these prices, I mine as well get the top of line model.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
I noticed in the article that it said that the tweeters broke up at high volumes. Could someone who has these speakers comment on if they keep their composure when watching movies with loud explosions? Do they break up in this case?

A

ace0001a

Junior Audioholic
I noticed in the article that it said that the tweeters broke up at high volumes. Could someone who has these speakers comment on if they keep their composure when watching movies with loud explosions? Do they break up in this case?
My interpretation of this from the review here and other customer responses here and elswhere is that it doesn't seem to be a major issue. Surely if it was, you'd read more complaints about it. I'm still waiting for my TST3s to arrive and have been told by TSC that they should be shipping them in the next week or so. I think it's safe to assume that the tweeter break up only happens infrequently and at fairly high volumes that is louder than what many people set theirs at when listening to music and movies...otherwise like said, you'd read more complaints about it. You've also got to keep in mind that in a review, it is necessary to be nitpicky and I'm sure the detail about the tweeters breaking up at high volumes goes along those lines. I currently own Paradigm Monitor 7 V1s that I bought over a decade ago that the TST3s will be replacing. I remember back in the early days when I first got the monitor 7s that I would occassionaly hear some tweeter breakup at high volumes. After using them for a while, I didn't hear it anymore and basically realized things like that can happen during the "break in" period. Also, this thread has been a bit quiet lately and I think those owners and others who posted earlier here have either lost interest or are really busy.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
untill they make them more stable I will not be buying any, three spikes is not enough

A

ace0001a

Junior Audioholic
untill they make them more stable I will not be buying any, three spikes is not enough
Yeah at first I really didn't think they would be stable, but they turn out to be more stable then you'd think. I too would prefer 4 outriggers, but it's actually fairly stable as it is with TSC's TST series of speakers.

If you even have a twinge of wanting these speakers, I highly recommend them. They definitely can't be beat for the price and with a 30-day trial, you really have nothing to lose.

mcghee33

mcghee33

Audioholic Intern
tst2 or tst3

Can anyone who has already purchased the 2's or 3's give me some feedback on them. Obviously the review by Tom gives me an idea of how the tst2's sound but I am curious as to weather the tst3's are worth the extra money. At the moment you can refurbished 3's for 30 dollars more than the 2's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis