The Speaker Company T300 Subwoofer Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Overall the tSc T300 subwoofer has really impressed me. Usually, with an online retailer, a well performing sub is either huge in size or huge in price. The T300 manages to pack a lot of performance in a very small box. For a smaller to perhaps medium sized room, the T300 is too good of a deal to pass up. For larger rooms, you will most likely need to step up to a more powerful subwoofer or consider running two or four of these.

Discuss "The Speaker Company T300 Subwoofer Review" here. Read the article.

H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
Gene:

What would be your pick for the top sub for music. To match Salk SOngtowers or HT2-TL??? I would apreciate your view on top pick(s) and the best value pick.Let me try to narrow variables down some. Med- large room. Max cost of~$2500, lower if possible. Without expensive room traps. Easly placed and set-up.
Thanks

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Can we please see someone else's speakers reviewed?

Look, I know everyone needs to make a living, but it's getting sort of tiresome. Over the past five and a half months, you guys have reviewed 19 speakers (this is going back to some time in January).

Of those 19 reviews, over half of them have been for three manufacturers: Elemental Designs has been reviewed four times as has The Speaker Company. Infinity has been reviewed twice.

In case you're wondering, I didn't count the shoot out as each of those products got their own reviews; I counted the real reviews instead.

I know Elemental Designs and The Speaker Company advertise on your site pretty heavily, and so it's normal to expect some that they'd want something in return.

It's important to note that I'm NOT saying that their ad revenue is buying favorable reviews, but we live in a cynical world, and it's easy to see how someone might walk away with that impression.

And, FYI, if the economy ever turns around again, I'm considering making an Elemental Designs subwoofer (or an SVS subwoofer) my first AV purchase.

But come on, there has to be other speaker manufacturers out there introducing exciting new products to listen to out there beyond this narrow list.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The article jibes (minus the port chuffing) with my educated ear tests of my T250s. Perhaps the twin drivers are too much for the small box and limited size of the port. I've put one T250 in my home-office and another in my master bedroom. They do an admirable job in those environments where they aren't going to be pushed too hard by trying to fill too large a room to ridiculous volumes. That's the territory of larger and more expensive subs. The also seem to drop off too much really get a really tactile sub bass rumble and although I haven't measured yet I suspect the T250 falls off fairly drastically below 30hz. On the other hand they do justice to Marcus Miller's The Panther and Soul Ballet's Her Joyride right up to nearly painful volumes. Again these aren't huge rooms.

However they do fill an important niche or two. As I've mentioned they are ideal for a medium-sized bedroom or home-office sub. And because the T250 is front firing and front ported (as opposed to down firing/rear ported) they have the advantage of being a bit more neighbor friendly and working in crowded conditions. I imagine that the T300 would be a bit less neighbor/crowded room friendly.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Look, I know everyone needs to make a living, but it's getting sort of tiresome. Over the past five and a half months, you guys have reviewed 19 speakers (this is going back to some time in January).

Of those 19 reviews, over half of them have been for three manufacturers: Elemental Designs has been reviewed four times as has The Speaker Company. Infinity has been reviewed twice.

In case you're wondering, I didn't count the shoot out as each of those products got their own reviews; I counted the real reviews instead.

I know Elemental Designs and The Speaker Company advertise on your site pretty heavily, and so it's normal to expect some that they'd want something in return.

It's important to note that I'm NOT saying that their ad revenue is buying favorable reviews, but we live in a cynical world, and it's easy to see how someone might walk away with that impression.

And, FYI, if the economy ever turns around again, I'm considering making an Elemental Designs subwoofer (or an SVS subwoofer) my first AV purchase.

But come on, there has to be other speaker manufacturers out there introducing exciting new products to listen to out there beyond this narrow list.

I guess you must have missed our recent reviews for Dali, Thiel, Aperion Audio and MCM Electronics.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/

Please do your homework before criticizing the diveristy of our product reviews. Also since you have a relatively high post count, you should know by now that review threads need to stay on topic. Feel free to continue this discussion in the Steam Vent.

We review what is offered to us. In this economy, you would be surprised at how many companies have simply shut down their marketing department which is also responsible for arranging product reviews as they don't want to incur shipping expenses or opening new product to later sell them as B-stock.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Very pleased to see this review. While I'm many months away from setting up my new theatre, I'm always on the lookout for the gear that will eventually populate my new hide out :)

My theatre will be small, but acoustically treated. Due to the limited space, but my STRONG desire to have at least 2 subs, I've been researching physically smaller subs that still offer deep extension. Keeping the price reasonable is important too :)

The Speaker Company's subs caught my attention, but I'm thinking I will likely bite the bullet and spend a bit more for something like the SVSound SB12-Plus. I'm also VERY keen to see the eventual release of the Emotiva subs. They are LOOOOOONG over due, but will hopefully actually be available for sale by the time I am ready.

Audioholics certainly is no stranger to Emotiva, so I'm anticipating what I hope will be an inevitable review of those subs ;)

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
I was really hoping that this sub would the one to get. But after the review, I'll be saving my money and go towards an SVS sub.
How about reviewing the t250. I don't want to spend more than 250 on a sub.
Oh, idea... Polk audio's psw505, even though old and discontinued, is still being sold for $249.. Can you guys review that sub and compare it to the Tsc t250 and t300 or any the popular subs at that price range.

Thanks.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
the negative comments are way out of line. and should be deleted.

i'm sure it perfoms well for its price range.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Unlike some cranky people, I'm thrilled to see this - TSC is still a relative unknown in many ways, and it helps to get a good sampling of their various products. I especially wasn't willing to generalize from speaker reviews to their subs, or from their bottom-of-the-line sub to a more expensive sub of a different design.

Great review, too.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I guess you must have missed our recent reviews for Dali, Thiel, Aperion Audio and MCM Electronics.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/

Please do your homework before criticizing the diveristy of our product reviews. Also since you have a relatively high post count, you should know by now that review threads need to stay on topic. Feel free to continue this discussion in the Steam Vent.
Actually, Gene, I did do my homework. After seeing the latest TSC review, it felt like they'd been getting boatloads of attention lately.

Please, don't misunderstand me, I love your reviews as I think you guys do a great job of providing both objective and subjective content in your reviews. Besides, I really enjoy Tom Andry's snarky sense of humor. He writes well, and he writes in a way that connects with me.

I'm not saying you're not reviewing other products. It's just that three manufacturers, two really, seem to be getting a lot of attention. I happen to like this site a lot. I've learned a boatload of cool stuff here. I'm constantly referring my friends and my sons to cool articles I find here.

But back to the homework thing. My methodology was simple: I went to your Speaker review section (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/), and started copying basic information about the reviews listed there into a spreadsheet (with columns that included Date, Manufacturer, Model, Reviewer, Review Type (e.g. Pro or First Look).

This spreadsheet is on my home PC (yeah, and the dog ate my homework), but, if you'd like to see it, I'll shoot you a copy of it when I get home tonight.

Anyhow, I was able to copy information from the 19 most recent reviews listed on that page before my wife got irritated with what I was doing (understandably).

I didn't count the shoot-out article because all those speakers also received their own individual reviews.

I'd just hate to see your objectivity called into question.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I must say this review is up to quality I expect from AH. Especially the nice shot into the interior of the sub. What I see is great potential internally.

Used for music with a 30hz high-pass filter I believe it would do very well.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
But back to the homework thing. My methodology was simple: I went to your Speaker review section (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/), and started copying basic information about the reviews listed there into a spreadsheet (with columns that included Date, Manufacturer, Model, Reviewer, Review Type (e.g. Pro or First Look).
You have way too much time on your hands, seriously.

I'd just hate to see your objectivity called into question.
Than stop posting these type of messages on our forums and adhere to our forum rules, especially regarding keeping review threads on topic.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/faq.php

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
It would have been interesting if Tom would have had a pair of these subs to test. His room is sort of comparable to mine. I'm always interested in hearing what smaller subs can do. While I really like my Hsu, some day I'd like to replace it with two smaller subs.

Jim

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Tsc

I've been eyeing TSC ever since I first read about them on Audioholics. I'm very pleased to have read a positive review on one of their subs. My room is medium sized so, whenever I get into the market, this sub will most definitely be on my list.

K

KlipschHead281

Junior Audioholic
Overall the tSc T300 subwoofer has really impressed me. Usually, with an online retailer, a well performing sub is either huge in size or huge in price. The T300 manages to pack a lot of performance in a very small box. For a smaller to perhaps medium sized room, the T300 is too good of a deal to pass up. For larger rooms, you will most likely need to step up to a more powerful subwoofer or consider running two or four of these.

Discuss "The Speaker Company T300 Subwoofer Review" here. Read the article.
I really liked the article and when I was doing research for buying a subwoofer for my bedroom HT this and the T250 were at the top of the list. I chanced on a UFW-10 without an amp so went that route.

I am going to recommend the T300 or the T250 to my friend as it meets his requirments and budget. Thanks for the great write up!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Another excellent review from Tom - Thanks!
My colleague bought this sub after my advice due to very high bang/buck ratio, but after a while was disappointed (sub was placed in large open space apartment) and it was replaced to more powerful polk sub.

As for me - I'm still waiting to finish other payments to get my hands on Tsc towers

S

septim

Audioholic
I'm kind of puzzled that a subwoofer that chuffs and has amp rattling issues and often bottoms out during movies gets a 4/5 review.

$379 is not that amazing a price for a small subwoofer anymore. You can get many highly regarded subs for around that same price.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
The T250 has the same issues as the T300

I had to return the T250 I bought because of the excessive port noise on the lower frequencies. I tested the sub with tones down to 17hz. From 17hz - 29hz, it was a port noise party.
My treated Yamaha HTIB sub (YST-SW011) (I added massive amount of fiberglass insulation - it sounds so much better) performed better than the T250 at the lower frequencies. The Yamaha cannot hit 20hz or below, it was ranging from 25 - 160 of good output. But for movies (the opening scene of Apocalypto), my Yamaha sounded cleaner than the T250.

I think TSC needs to redesign the cabinet and use larger ports (4inch ID) vs slots or add a limiter/fliter to the circuitry.

I will still buy from TSC, when move into a new apartment I may get their towers for the my fronts and move my polks to the rear.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
I'm kind of puzzled that a subwoofer that chuffs and has amp rattling issues and often bottoms out during movies gets a 4/5 review.

$379 is not that amazing a price for a small subwoofer anymore. You can get many highly regarded subs for around that same price.
IMHO....This sub seems to be a let down....I bought a HTD sub ?8? years ago that chuffed like crazy in movie watching and exhibited the same clean output at around 30hz. I got rid of it...I found a broken Acoustech H100(about 3yrs ago) for $50 and got it repaired for another $60 and it never chuffed, even down to 22-24hz. In the room I have it now and previous rooms it plays down to about 22hz without any problem(no chuffing at loud volumes)....There seems to be better buys elsewhere by the way it looks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis