The Speaker Company,...R.I.P.

B

Blazer1

Audiophyte
For whom it matters, The Speaker Company closed their doors approximately 30 minutes ago,..for good.

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
Been a long time coming. Too bad. They're great speakers.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Wow, I had just placed another order with them today. I looked back at their site and sure enough all the "add to cart" buttons are gone. :eek:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, I had just placed another order with them today. I looked back at their site and sure enough all the "add to cart" buttons are gone. :eek:
Where were you a couple weeks ago when it was announced they wouldn't be able to fulfill orders?

It's sad though, D&M Holdings shut the division down because the profit margin wasn't high enough for them to justify keeping it up. IMO, it didn't get a chance to really show it's potential, however things might have been moving too slowly and D&M Holdings was probably justified in doing it to protect the company.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Where were you a couple weeks ago when it was announced they wouldn't be able to fulfill orders?
I was here for that, just didn't expect them to shut down so soon. I suppose inventory levels dropped low enough that there wasn't much logic in continuing to run the site.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I was just there and your right no add to cart, would have been nice also to include so sort of official notice as well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If i remember correctly Nick mentioned D&M will honor tSc warranties....
I sure hope so

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
so here is a question for everyone. if the speakers are so good, how much more would you have paid?

Also, is the general population getting so anti profit that we dont allow companies to make a fair profit? Are we forcing companies to go so thin they cant stay in business?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My speculation is that in these lean economic times the parent company looked at the performance of its divisions - Marantz, Denon, tSc, etc. and tSc was the obvious low hanging fruit.

B

Blazer1

Audiophyte
so here is a question for everyone. if the speakers are so good, how much more would you have paid?

Also, is the general population getting so anti profit that we don't allow companies to make a fair profit? Are we forcing companies to go so thin they cant stay in business?
I purchased a 4 TSB bookshelf speakers and a TC2 center from The Speaker Company for $210.00 to my door and I am very happy with them. My only reason for buying from TSC was price. If they had been priced more they would have joined so many other companies they would have been lost in the shuffle. There is no shortage of high priced speaker companies.

Speaking of profit how much more does it cost to build a $1500 center speaker than a $150 one? I think there are some consumers who make their decision on how a speaker sounds after finding out the price.

M

mudcat12

Enthusiast
I ordered from The Speaker Company a little over a month ago. After about a week, they e-mailed me back saying they couldn't fill my order and refunded my money. Then last week the exact same order popped up on the website as available for less than 50% of what my original order price was so I grabbed it.....again.

That's not my fault.

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
I ordered from The Speaker Company a little over a month ago. After about a week, they e-mailed me back saying they couldn't fill my order and refunded my money. Then last week the exact same order popped up on the website as available for less than 50% of what my original order price was so I grabbed it.....again.

That's not my fault.
Wow, you are lucky to get them on half price. They are decent speakers for average users on sound stuff. I got a pair of those for my bedroom sound system.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
I got a T-300 sub from them and for 227$ and am very happy. My first HT setup though so I could just not know what I'm missing.

I was sad when I decided I wanted to get my L/C/R from TSC and ordered Dec 27 only to find out a few days ago they over sold and were in the process of refunding.

RIP TSC

T

Tom Cecc

Audioholic Intern
That is sad. In my search for in-walls, I checked them out. It looked like they had some nice speakers.

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
Wow - I had a feeling in late Dec when I ordered a pair of dipole TSC speakers at the 40% price that either TSC was going to shut down or maybe relaunch a whole new line of speakers as the site looked to be so low on inventory and the prices were ridiculously low.

Over the past 6 months I ordered two TC2 center channels, one pair of 5.25 bookshelf surrounds, one pair of 6.5 bookshelfs for my workshop and the previously mentioned dipole speakers. I was really happy with the speakers and for the money they were an amazing value.

On a side note I also ordered a couple of different pairs of headphones from them which turned out to be great (especially the HDPro7) - it's a shame that TSC wasn't able to make it work out. I recommended them to many friends.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Also, is the general population getting so anti profit that we dont allow companies to make a fair profit? Are we forcing companies to go so thin they cant stay in business?
Remember all of those people who picketed companies and corporations with their 'People, Not Profits' signs?

People think it's OK for someone to make money, just not on them. That's why we have so many online sellers and buyers. Everyone wants the best price and will waste incredible amounts of time and gas, driving all over town to save a few bucks.

People have forced companies to fail for a long time. The answer you tour last question is 'Yes".

You ought to try competing against online sellers- it's a royal pain in the *** and a lot of people don't consider what it takes to be in business. Everyone wants to save money at the end of the month, after payday, right? Some of the ones who skrimp and save every penny for themselves are very vocal about not wanting to pay a fair price for goods and services but there's no difference between a person trying to save money and a company trying to make a profit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis