skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I saw this one Friday and am ambivalent. While it's not a bad drama, and somewhat follows the Facebook story on a factual level, its Jesse Eisenberg portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg (berg playing a berg?) is downright nasty. Fast talking was his main asset. On the other hand, I liked Justin Timberlake as Sean Parker. I have no regard for his music, but this and his Saturday Night Live appearences make me like him as a comedic actor. I was entertained, but not enlightened.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
i seen a few preivews for this and thought, this looks stupid, a movie about facebook..., but then after a bit more time and reading about it in the paper, im kind of interested in it, but get the mixed feeling its either going to be alright, or just plain dumb. would you say it was worth seeing, or it wasent really worth it, more of a rent it if you cant really find something else to watch type movie?

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

i seen a few preivews for this and thought, this looks stupid, a movie about facebook..., but then after a bit more time and reading about it in the paper, im kind of interested in it, but get the mixed feeling its either going to be alright, or just plain dumb. would you say it was worth seeing, or it wasent really worth it, more of a rent it if you cant really find something else to watch type movie?
It's in between. Bear in mind that the guy who wrote the script had to look up what Facebook was before he started writing and you realize that it's a story about characters with not much insight into the social network phenomenon. Truthfully he could have been writing about a greedy dweeb who was stealing/inventing anything.

That said, The Social Network is entertaining if you want to go to a movie and don't have something else in mind. Some of the audience was acting as though wisdom was being delivered (kinda like the people who analyze every word from Steve Jobs) or as though there ought to be a cool-test to determine who got to go into the theater. I just thought it was good enough that I didn't feel dirty when I left, but not good enough that I'll see it again.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I didn't know that about the script writer, although I find that kind of surprising. Not knowing what Facebook is by the time this movie was in production must have been a writer using a type-writer.

I've heard a lot of the story wasn't exactly non-fiction, which I kind of felt the movie led on to being. I'm cool with that, but, sort of believe that it should say in the beginning of the movie something like "Based on a true story." ... which tells me "There is a real story, and now I'm going to make a movie that uses that to entertain you...so spare me the grief of nit-picking my facts."

That said, the picture quality and sound were pristine. It shows Red One cameras don't have to be used only for crazy-techno editing. Welcome to the digital age (heh)

Trent Renzor's soundtrack is almost instantly recognizable, even without waiting for the credit. What style.

Oh, speaking of musicians, Justin Timberlake was good in this too!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I thought it was a good movie, definitely worth a rent.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Now that the video is out, we are being subjected to an ad campaign that quotes "critics" as saying that this flick redefines cinema as we know it. I know it's been a couple months since I saw this in the theater, but as I recall, it was a fairly standard bio-pic. I guess to those that have been hiding under a rock, it did introduce the audience to Facebook, but I recall it as being like those movies in the early 90's that introduced us to cell phones as though they were Revealed Wisdom. Was I missing something? Is this really Great Cinema? It was OK as I recall, but nothing earth shaking.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
What do you guys really like then??? I thought it was a pretty solid movie, you can definitely tell some time was spent planning the entire showcase. I did have to "Google" the facts after, but was impressed that most of the story was spot on. The PQ, well it was standard, but the music was what really drew me in. I made the comment several times throughout that music can either make or break a movie, and it definitely made this one. Whether the story was actually groundbreaking or not, the music drew me in and kept me interested throughout. Trent Reznor knows his sh*t, and if he wrote the score to more movies I'm sure they'd be successful. I'm just sayin... the music really carried the flick! What I like about how well music can mix with a film is like how music videos are portrayed these days... Music videos are almost non-existent right? Well, I felt like I was watching a music video throughout this film, just with a great story and many videos back to back. In the end though, good stuff!

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I didn't think it was a bad movie, just a reasonably decent bioflick. The promo stuff is trying to portray it as a revolution in cinema but it's not. What I liked about the movie was mostly about how fast Jesse Eisenberg can talk and that Justin Timberlake was pretty good and that it was a decent portrayal of the egoistic and amoral culture that Facebook came out of. The script writer seemed to have some experience in litigation, even if he was ignorant of Facebook. I was somewhat troubled by the fact that Harvard didn't look at all like Harvard. It looked like Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, which in fact, it was. The don't have big Magnolia trees in Boston and Harvard isn't a colonial styled campus. It was pretty good, but not ground-breaking.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
Right on man. And let me note, the last movie the Mrs. made us watch was "Easy A" so after watching that, the Social Network probably appeared better than it was to me ;)

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Right on man. And let me note, the last movie the Mrs. made us watch was "Easy A" so after watching that, the Social Network probably appeared better than it was to me ;)
Not fair...Easy A makes almost any other flick look good. My wife had that on yesterday night and I wanted to make the electricity go out.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Just to clear this up, the script was based of a book or something. Someone wrote a more fun story about how facebook came to be, and the movie was based off that. It has some true elements, and some fake. It's got enough in line for it to be based on a true story.

Personally, I though this movie rocked.

SheepStar

L

lmyers

Enthusiast
This moview has gotten better every viewing; what a sparkling,quick script from Aaron Sorkin; if he doesn't win the Oscar, the voters are not paying attention...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Every viewing? Once was enough. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I was hoping for. It had some good elements, but others not so much. The opening scene felt like I was watching gilmore girls to the point where I almost turned it off; I detest that style of dialog (and hate gilmore girls). People don't actually talk like that. Overall, it was pretty well done though and was interesting. I saw the documentary on him and there's a lot more to the story.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The best thing about this movie was the soundtrack by Trent Reznor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis