The receiver decision thread

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Ok so it is finally time to get a new receiver and I have finally narrowed it down to 2 receivers but here is the dilemma. It is between the Onkyo TX-SR605 and the Yamaha RX-V661.

So this is the thing. After finding out that the PS3 will never be able to output bitstream through hdmi and with the supposed DTS-HD firmware upgrade coming it won't matter anyway. So I know most of you will pick the Onkyo over the Yamaha because of the built-in decoding but that means absolutely nothing to me since I will not be buying a new BD player so I have no use for it. So basically here are the comparisons between the two that matter:

Onkyo 605
HDMI video upconversion
Audessy

Yamaha RX-V661
Burr-Brown DAC
YPAO
Pre-outs

Both receivers weight the same and both are rated at 90w per channel so I don't know which one would have the better amp. So it basically boils down to having just one hdmi cable going to the tv from the receiver with the onkyo or 1 hdmi and 1 component with the yamaha.

So with these things in mind I don't know which one you guys would pick. I have read popping problems with the onkyo and complaints that some get pretty hot whereas with the yamaha I haven't heard of any problems at all. I currently have a Yamaha receiver and it has been working rock solid for years (friend lend it to me after he got his new Denon receiver). Once again I have no need for the built-in TrueHD, DTS-HD decoding in the onkyo since I can't use it.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Tough decision. To me it comes down to the choice of pre-outs and Audessy.
From what I've gathered, Audessy blows away YPAO. But the pre-outs on the Yamaha are IMO are more important that the internal EQ features of Audessy.

Given your two limited choices, My vote is the Yamaha.

FWIW.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Onkyo transcodes all video inputs to one HDMI output, the Yamaha does not. Yamaha can only do up to 5.1 LPCM over HDMI.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Onkyo transcodes all video inputs to one HDMI output, the Yamaha does not. Yamaha can only do up to 5.1 LPCM over HDMI.
Yeah I know about the transcoding to one HDMI output. That's why I said I have to connect one set of component cables to the TV but it is not a big deal.

I only have 5.1 right now and my living room is too small for 7.1. But I read at avsforum that the Yamaha can do 7.1 through 5.1 MPCM with Dolby IIx.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
My vote is for the Yamaha. I've been looking at new receivers for several months, myself. The new Onkyos have a lot of features and are probably the best bang for the buck. However! The heat issue is a big negative to me. I don't have much room above where the receiver has to go, so high heat is a deal (and probably receiver) killer for me. Couple that with the fact that it's really hard to find anything negative about the Yammies, and my decision was made. It also helped for me that the Yamaha had an extra HDMI input vs the Onkyos. I went with the 3800.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually prefer component video so my vote is for the RX-V657 or 659. Their prices will be lower if you can find them. They also have better numbers according to lab measurements by S&V. If you must have the latest feature then go for the 661.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I actually prefer component video so my vote is for the RX-V657 or 659. Their prices will be lower if you can find them. They also have better numbers according to lab measurements by S&V. If you must have the latest feature then go for the 661.
Yeah I want the MPCM from my PS3 and A3. I want to taste TrueHD, Uncompressed, Dolby Digital Plus :)

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Then I would just go with the yamah RX-V661
Yeah I think I am going to go with the Yamaha. Amazon has the 605 for $430 with free shipping and BB has the 661 also on sale for $449. I was reading the 605 thread at avs and the Onkyo seems to have lip sync and popping issues. No ongoing problems with the 661 though.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I would go with the Yamaha too. Having said that, I own the Rx-v2700 and I have to say that YAPO is not the best thing ever. Would definitely want to do manual calibration once I get my paws on a SPL meter :p

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I would go with the Yamaha too. Having said that, I own the Rx-v2700 and I have to say that YAPO is not the best thing ever. Would definitely want to do manual calibration once I get my paws on a SPL meter :p
Yeah my friend has an SPL meter so it won't be a problem to manually calibrate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis