The Pan-American Highway: The Longest Road in the World

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Fascinating history/geography of the said Pan-American Highway or the Auto-Piste Americana.

Has anyone on the site here traveled this highway? I had always daydreamed of one day doing a section of the road.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nope. Never did my road trip across the US yet either. Most I ever did was southern CA to Port Angeles WA, ferry to Victoria, drove up to Nanaimo for a ferry to Vancouver and made my way back down to southern CA. Lots of stops in both directions. The beauty of the pacific northwest can't be overstated. Guess I need to try South America some time.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Nope. Never did my road trip across the US yet either. Most I ever did was southern CA to Port Angeles WA, ferry to Victoria, drove up to Nanaimo for a ferry to Vancouver and made my way back down to southern CA. Lots of stops in both directions. The beauty of the pacific northwest can't be overstated. Guess I need to try South America some time.
Best do it fast if this scenario comes to fruition.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't had enough coffee yet to worry about that s#%t.
I wonder if that's the same thing people will say in Seattle, Vancouver, Oregon, et all, when this actually happens one day. :p I'm not trying to be combative here with you by any stretch. More of a 'just saying' attitude.

It's something we should be planning for, by FEMA or some other governmental agency in tandem, and be prepared to deal with. I imagine ... or I hope so o_O ... that there is a plan in place.

Prior to this video, or anything I've read, I'd never heard about the possibility of this Cascadia Earthquake, outside of the San Andres Fault line, on the West Coast.

I look back at Katrina and the lack of planning there and the devastation it wrought, even though the Army Corps of Engineers and other environmental scientists had been warning for years that such a storm was coming and that our current levees or city building codes were not up to the task ... and they're still not. :mad:

Us humans have this annoying built-in habit of 'whistling pass the graveyard', procrastinating whenever some scientists give us the heads up about the probability of such catastrophes, like the current corona virus, and either ignore the heads up, to our own detriment, or ignore it altogether, like it will just go away on it's own in due time.

That's not how viruses work ... or earthquakes for that matter.

I apologize beforehand if I'm coming across as preachy, that is not my intention.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No worries. Laziness and arrogance are responsible for more tragedies than the planet's cycles. I don't worry as much about the actual quake as much as what might happen to all of the Nuclear Plants on the west coast. Fukushima killed the Pacific and anybody who lives on the west coast knows it. When pelicans congregate around watering holes in Kern County, you know somethin' seriously wrong out there. Maybe killed is too strong a word but I expect a Kaiju to take out the Santa Monica pier any day now.:p

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Best do it fast if this scenario comes to fruition.

I lived in Oregon for over a decade, and the Cascadia threat is real, though people don't obsess about it. I had a house on a hillside, and it's the only home I ever carried earthquake insurance for. And I chose an independent company which had very little PNW exposure. If you want to see what a subduction zone quake aftermath looks like:

And the Alaska quake was only Richter 9.2. Many experts I've heard think Cascadia might be worse. I wish my two children who live in Portland would move, but that's not happening.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I lived in Oregon for over a decade, and the Cascadia threat is real, though people don't obsess about it. I had a house on a hillside, and it's the only home I ever carried earthquake insurance for. And I chose an independent company which had very little PNW exposure. If you want to see what a subduction zone quake aftermath looks like:

And the Alaska quake was only Richter 9.2. Many experts I've heard think Cascadia might be worse. I wish my two children who live in Portland would move, but that's not happening.
o_O

Wow!!!

Only half-way thru this documentary Irv and the sheer destructive power is ... scary.

Must watch TV folks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Can we get back to the joys of the open road you f#%kin' Debbie Downers?:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis