"The Moment of truth"

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
not sure if anyone else caught a glimpse of this new show, I guess the idea is they hook you up to a polygraph and ask you questions and if you dont lie you go on and win more. Like who wants to be a millionare except to win all you have to do is say yes or no.

Im sorry, But this is one of the dumbest show ideas out. All you have to do is tell the truth so who cares what anyone else thinks about you if you get the money. Secondly, If they ask something really bad and you lie, everyone knows, If you dont answer it everyone knows the answer already because you didnt want to say it yourself. So everyone knows. And if you just tell the truth and get the money everyone knows and you get the money. :confused:

I could go on there and win all the money no sweat. :confused: You would have to be a complete idiot to try and lie about something.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Agreed. Not to mention the "inadmissibility" of the polygraph test

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. Another stupid show. Ten seconds of the preview was enough for me to decide to stop watching the preview...let alone the show. :p That's an hour of your life you'll never get back Haoleb. :mad:

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I'd be there's also some pretty crazy editing going on to match some of the wild looks with different questions. Sometimes Fox is just too much for me....

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I refuse to watch that too even at my better-half request. I don't want her to turn the question to me...:D:D...

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Yep. Another stupid show. Ten seconds of the preview was enough for me to decide to stop watching the preview...let alone the show. :p That's an hour of your life you'll never get back Haoleb. :mad:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
That's prolly why u screen only crazy people for the show :)

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Just a thought- we could create this show Audioholics style. Each forum member is hooked up to the polygraph while their spouse quizzes them on how much the actually spent on new equipment in the last year, whether that 3rd subwoofer is really necessary, and if they can really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p to justify the purchase of a new tv. That's a show I would watch :D.

Any volunteers for first contestant?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I refuse to watch that too even at my better-half request. I don't want her to turn the question to me...:D:D...
Have you forgotten how to lie? If so, I can give you some pointers. Right after you hear the offensive question just ask your self what answer will serve you best. Fortunatly we are not hooked up to polygraphs. I was hooked up to one once. I lied. They knew that I lied. It didn't matter that I lied. The important thing is that I didn't tell the truth. :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Have you forgotten how to lie? If so, I can give you some pointers. Right after you hear the offensive question just ask your self what answer will serve you best. Fortunatly we are not hooked up to polygraphs. I was hooked up to one once. I lied. They knew that I lied. It didn't matter that I lied. The important thing is that I didn't tell the truth. :D
Well, that's rather dark Alex, don't you think? :(

My tip would be (not that I've ever been in that situation): Always (well, most always :p) tell the truth, and it is not a lie if you believe it. :p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
not sure if anyone else caught a glimpse of this new show, I guess the idea is they hook you up to a polygraph and ask you questions and if you dont lie you go on and win more. Like who wants to be a millionare except to win all you have to do is say yes or no.

Im sorry, But this is one of the dumbest show ideas out. All you have to do is tell the truth so who cares what anyone else thinks about you if you get the money. Secondly, If they ask something really bad and you lie, everyone knows, If you dont answer it everyone knows the answer already because you didnt want to say it yourself. So everyone knows. And if you just tell the truth and get the money everyone knows and you get the money. :confused:

I could go on there and win all the money no sweat. :confused: You would have to be a complete idiot to try and lie about something.
We are scraping the bottom of the barrel these days with television shows, aren't we? :confused:

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Polygraphs detect our body's physiologic changes when we answer questions. Do a search on google, there are bound to be ways to beat the polygraph testing.

Just some random thoughts.

You can delay your answer by a few seconds. In that interval, all the excitement you would normally go through with not giving a truthful answer will probably have subsided. Do this for all your questions, whether you intend to give the truthful answer or the not truthful answer.

Get uncomfortable even when you give truthful answers. This will confuse whoever is reading the polygraph. After all, the polygraph will only show changes compared to a baseline (established by your reactions when you give a bunch of truthful answers). When you seriously mess up that baseline, you mess up the entire polygraph test.

That's all I can think of right now.

But seriously, giving truthful answers is not as easy as you think. There are a lot of embarrassing questions that many people would rather not face up to.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Can't you just take a valium or something to keep yourself calm? Or is that a myth?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Can't you just take a valium or something to keep yourself calm? Or is that a myth?
Well, to some extent, yes. Why. Who's after you, and what have you done (now)? :)

Valium would serve to slow the heart rate, but not necessarily other physiological reactions that are largely involuntary. Therefore the reverse would be true to better mask reactions...coffee with a marathon. If your heart is already speeding, you're sweating, breathing is heavy, eye movement is rapid, and you're twitching...and that is the base, the norm, there is then no reaction to be had. And then there's false positives...

Ah, what do I know? (Just a little of many things, and not much on any one thing). It really doesn't matter since they're inadmissible, right cbraver? :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, that's rather dark Alex, don't you think? :(

My tip would be (not that I've ever been in that situation): Always (well, most always :p) tell the truth, and it is not a lie if you believe it. :p
It is dark and was intended to be funny yet useful. My story involves a rent a car company that I worked for trying to find out who the hell stole a handful of Lincoln Continental Town Cars. It really wasn't me. I just didn't want them to know that I liked being baked out of my gord while I serviced their busses at DFW. The truth would have cost me my job and would not have produced any stolen cars. That was 20 years ago. Nowadays I am able to do as I say and say as I do. It's a better life.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Nowadays I am able to do as I say and say as I do. It's a better life.
Good philosophy Alex. As it is to mean what you say, and say what you mean. And glad to hear that they're not after you. :)

Haoleb

Haoleb

Luckly I watched about 5 minutes of it just to see what it was until the dude lied on the thing and i was like wtf? are you that stupid? Turned the tv off and put on some music instead. :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Luckly I watched about 5 minutes of it just to see what it was until the dude lied on the thing and i was like wtf? are you that stupid? Turned the tv off and put on some music instead. :D
Sounds like a prudent choice Haoleb. Some good jams. I like that. :D

There are so many of those bubblegum nonsense television programs that are on the air now. Obviously, a combination of:

1) reality tv;
2) the writer's strike; and,
3) society's insatiable thirst for mindless entertainment. :mad:

Everyone needs down time (mindless entertainment) for a little while each day. Too much turns one's mind to mush.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis