j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can use spoliler tags now!!!! duh.

It is a movie, not a documentary. It is presented as fiction, however it ISN'T. It is based in fact, though obviously they've changed the way things went down for the sake of making a film, but it doesn't come off as real to me at all. The ONLY scene were I felt like Renner was real was when he was talking to his son; the rest of the time he was a cartoon. They were trying to show that these guys were cracking under the pressure and each of them dealt with it in a different way while still being able to function as a team, but they still felt pretty one dimensional to me.

A buddy who was in the military for 14yrs said pretty much the same thing: not realistic in terms of what really happens out there, but not a bad movie. For me, it is 3 out of 5 stars. Good, not great.

The sound from this movie was absolutely through the roof too :eek: When they are doing detonations in the valley, the explosion rocked everything in the house.

Last edited:
G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
There are plenty of Renner like people in the Military and Law Enforcement make no mistake about it! I especially liked the sniper scene, it was very realistic to me based on my own experiences. No doubt that this movie was just that a movie, but it did have a certain feel about it that most movies of this genre fail to deliver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't watch the movie again. Whereas I saw Avatar twice in the theater and can't wait to buy the BD and watch it again.
Maybe you are a sci-fi junkie;):D like me.:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are plenty of Renner like people in the Military and Law Enforcement make no mistake about it! I especially liked the sniper scene, it was very realistic to me based on my own experiences. No doubt that this movie was just that a movie, but it did have a certain feel about it that most movies of this genre fail to deliver.
Yes, we already know snipper and spotter sit/lie in the same spot for hours/days at the time, but hitting moving target at over a mile and refusing to call for support - nothing realistic about neither them.

Yes, there are plenty of adrenalin junkies out there in the service, but there is huge difference b'ween adrenalin junkies and being completely reckless, total disregard of ANY procedures and how to.

In the real worlds, such "hero" would has a$$ shewed all the way.

Please stop referring this movie with words like "realistic". It's average military themed fiction flick with mediocre acting and good effects. lets just stop here.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Yes, we already know snipper and spotter sit/lie in the same spot for hours/days at the time, but hitting moving target at over a mile and refusing to call for support - nothing realistic about neither them.

Yes, there are plenty of adrenalin junkies out there in the service, but there is huge difference b'ween adrenalin junkies and being completely reckless, total disregard of ANY procedures and how to.

In the real worlds, such "hero" would has a$$ shewed all the way.

Please stop referring this movie with words like "realistic". It's average military themed fiction flick with mediocre acting and good effects. lets just stop here.

I stated my opinion, now you stated yours. We can just leave it as is :rolleyes:
BTW, you would be suprised at how far a rifle round will go and destroy its target. When the target is moving though, thats another story.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I stated my opinion, now you stated yours. We can just leave it as is :rolleyes:
BTW, you would be suprised at how far a rifle round will go and destroy its target. When the target is moving though, thats another story.
I'm glad we are on the same page and agree to disagree

Btw: Not really surprised the fact M107 .50 in round : max effective range is 2000 yards [max range 7450 yards] so yes, round will travel far, but as I said moving targets at that range = sci-fi.
http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/rifle/M107.html

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
This movie did not deserve to win best director or best film. Plot was weak at best. What was so amazing about the directing? The suspense build ups? With bombs about to go off, the director doesn't have to do anything to build up suspense. I think it was a joke that this film won so many awards. Inglorious was far and away a better film. The only reason this won is because it was about the Iraq war.

Not to be off topic, but has anyone seen The Blind Side? I only saw some clips but Sandra Bullock looked pretty over the top and cheesy and she won best female lead. I don't put much stock in these award shows.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gotta disagree with you there. Hurt Locker was ok, but nothing special. Just another war movie. The director did indeed do a good job of creating tension and helping to bring you into the world of an EOD tech. But I would even call that Kingdom movie with Jamie Foxx a better movie.

I wouldn't watch the movie again. Whereas I saw Avatar twice in the theater and can't wait to buy the BD and watch it again.
I agree 100%!!!

And which movie won best Picture last year?

Wasn't it "Slumdog Millionaire" or something?:eek:

What are those Oscar people smoking anyway?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This movie did not deserve to win best director or best film. Plot was weak at best. What was so amazing about the directing? The suspense build ups? With bombs about to go off, the director doesn't have to do anything to build up suspense. I think it was a joke that this film won so many awards. Inglorious was far and away a better film. The only reason this won is because it was about the Iraq war.

Not to be off topic, but has anyone seen The Blind Side? I only saw some clips but Sandra Bullock looked pretty over the top and cheesy and she won best female lead. I don't put much stock in these award shows.
I think most people watch the Oscars for a good comedy night with the comedians.:D

I thought Ben Steller was hilarious.:D

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I think most people watch the Oscars for a good comedy night with the comedians.:D
I agree. I never watch the Oscars but I did this year only because of Martin and Baldwin. They should have been used more. They were the only good part about the show.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
I'm glad we are on the same page and agree to disagree

Btw: Not really surprised the fact M107 .50 in round : max effective range is 2000 yards [max range 7450 yards] so yes, round will travel far, but as I said moving targets at that range = sci-fi.
http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/rifle/M107.html
There are multiple confirmed kills at 2250+ yards, longest being 2657 yards by Rob Furlong. Moving target is another story, even a still shot at 1.5 miles involves some chance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are multiple confirmed kills at 2250+ yards, longest being 2657 yards by Rob Furlong. Moving target is another story, even a still shot at 1.5 miles involves some chance.
The Rob Furlong shot was a moving target AFAIK. I saw it on Greatest Shots on The History Channel; they had an interview with him, so you hear it in his own words. The first shot was off and the targets began to flee; he compensated and got a hit at that distance!

Note in the movie, the Afghani sniper wasn't using a 50cal. and they are saying that he was hitting these guys with single shots? They did at least show that in the scope at that distance he could not see details, just movement and shape, but I think it is still a stretch that he was able to pull that off at that distance. The only shot that it looks like he missed was his last one.

Last edited:
tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
The Rob Furlong shot was a moving target AFAIK. I saw it on Greatest Shots on The History Channel. The first shot was off and the targets began to flee; he compensated and got a hit at that distance!
I think you're right with the moving target and I think his third shot was the hit. Even with a 16x scope, your target is still very small at 1.5 miles, it is an amazing shot.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
i just wasted 2 hours and 10 minutes of my life watching this movie. I'm glad i watched it at a friends house and didnt waste my electricity from my amps on it.

complete waste of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is a negative 5 stars I want my money back and i didnt pay to see it. and i'm sure hollywood is patting themselves on the back for this dud.

check out IMDB and check out the list of errors.. its the longest list i have ever seen on IMDB..

RaggaD

RaggaD

Audioholic Intern
I watched this about a month ago before all the Oscar buzz really started. Went in with on expectations at all and was blown away. Sure the character development could have been better and some of it was definitely over the top. But for the whole 2 hours I felt like I was in Iraq. Glad it won best picture over Avatar for sure

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
this is what hollywood wants us to believe Iraq is like.. its fiction and its exagerated to make the story more interesting.. which they failed at.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis