The exorcism of an IR ghost

T

talmazor

Junior Audioholic
So since I moved my HT, the satellite receiver has been going crazy. We'll be sitting in the room watching something on the DVR and suddenly it will rewind, then pause, then delete itself, then shutoff the box etc. It's been driving us crazy and we nicknamed it "the ghost".

Being anal and not liking the fact that something in my HT doesn't work the way I want it to, it went on a mission. I disassembled the rack, checked all the connections to the AV closet, thought the LCD was throwing interference, even unplugged the IR panel after we hit "play" on a show.

Finally today I remembered a neat trick, if you look at a room through a video camera you can see IR flashers in action. I checked out the entire closet, the room and NOTHING!!!

Then just as I was about to give up, my wife sits on the couch with her notebook computer, as she normally does, and on the camera shows up the IR port, which happens to be set to search for connections. "The Ghost" is actually her notebook computer. So after disabling the IR port, we've exorcised the ghost and all is good ..... for now.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting story!

I didn't know that video cameras could be used to see IR energy.

T

talmazor

Junior Audioholic
Yep. Take your video camera in nightshot mode and point your remote at it, you're see it flash like it had a flashlight on the end of it.

Neat little trick.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I use a cell phone camera as a remote tester every day. Just about any digital camera will work. It always wows the customer. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis