The Eagle has landed!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

wOOt! My speakers showed up today!:D I found a good deal on Audiogon on a pair of Monitor Audio Gold Ref 60's and decided to upgrade from my GR20's. Since I have 2 subs I didn't think the difference would be that great but my 20's are Cherry, probably my least favorite MA finish. The seller advertised them as 7/10 but they were seriously misrepresented...they were far better!:) Aside from some minor blems to the detachable plinths they're a solid 9/10, can't find a scuff or scratch on 'em.

I've only listened to them for about an hour, mostly just to make sure there was no shipping damage, etc. Again, since I have a pair of Hsu subs and high pass the mains I don't immediately notice a lot of difference between the 20's and the 60's. More listening will be required.:cool:

Matt34

Matt34

wOOt! My speakers showed up today!:D I found a good deal on Audiogon on a pair of Monitor Audio Gold Ref 60's and decided to upgrade from my GR20's. Since I have 2 subs I didn't think the difference would be that great but my 20's are Cherry, probably my least favorite MA finish. The seller advertised them as 7/10 but they were seriously misrepresented...they were far better!:) Aside from some minor blems to the detachable plinths they're a solid 9/10, can't find a scuff or scratch on 'em.

I've only listened to them for about an hour, mostly just to make sure there was no shipping damage, etc. Again, since I have a pair of Hsu subs and high pass the mains I don't immediately notice a lot of difference between the 20's and the 60's. More listening will be required.:cool:

Yeah.....we're going to need some pictures or it didn't happen.:p

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, I realized I'd catch h*ll for not having pics!:D My current listening space is less than ideal; hopefully I'll be moving within a few months (not that there's any guarantee that the next place will be better). But I'll try to get a few pics posted within a couple days.

majorloser

majorloser

Yeah, I realized I'd catch h*ll for not having pics!:D My current listening space is less than ideal; hopefully I'll be moving within a few months (not that there's any guarantee that the next place will be better). But I'll try to get a few pics posted within a couple days.
Yeah! No pics, no truth! :mad:

That's all right. I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures of the new Salk HT4's this October. By then you should be ready for another upgrade. :)

(Congrats on getting your dream speakers)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah! No pics, no truth! :mad:

That's all right. I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures of the new Salk HT4's this October. By then you should be ready for another upgrade. :)

(Congrats on getting your dream speakers)
Yikes! :D I can't wait to see what you think of the Salks. Truth be told they're probably my dream speakers, but I'll have to stick with my Gold Ref 60's til I finish school, I'm afraid. Maybe down the road I can swing MA Platinums or Salks.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
I really like to hear about them without the subs, for music. Do they have satisfying bass on their own?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My new plane arrived today. It came with 9 full time strippers.....

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
lol on the pictures comments.

congrats on the new mains!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Awright all youse wisearses, back off!:p I have a good reason for no pics yet- once I got them installed I had to cook dinner for a lady friend.;) Once I got home I had to study for a Linux test tomorrow (and I should be doing it now instead of posting this:eek:). Rest assured I'll get a few taken on Weds or Thurs. After my test I'm off til work on Tues and I won't get done til after midnite.

One reason I'm not in a rush to do an extended listening session immediately is that the sound is very similar to my previous speakers, the GR20's. I'd expect them to sound more open and be able to play louder with less distortion simply by virtue of having an extra driver, but I'd be surprised to have the fundamental sound be different. I've had many MA speakers over the years (a list: Silver 7i's, 8i's, Silver Center, FX/i surrounds, Bronze 2's, Bronze 3's, Bronze Center, Bronze B2's, Gold Ref Center, Gold Ref 10's, Gold Ref 20's and now Gold Ref 60's): one hallmark of the brand is very consistent voicing across a given product line. In other words, they have the Gold "house sound."

I will address this one though:

I really like to hear about them without the subs, for music. Do they have satisfying bass on their own?
I haven't tried yet, but my GR20's had some serious slam for their size. I did try them extensively with the sub on/off to compare and I often had to walk over to the sub and feel the driver to verify it wasn't playing. The GR20's were very satisfying with music, no sub really required. With one more driver and a larger cabinet the GR60's should do even better.

Bear in mind I have the Gold Reference series- they've been replaced by the Gold Signature series. The guy I bought my GR60's from 'upgraded' to GS60's. Basically he did so because his GF wanted a different finish. In his opinion the new GS line has maybe a bit better bass yet but he said if not for his GF he wouldn't have considered it worth it.

J

JLMEMT

Junior Audioholic
Awright all youse wisearses, back off!:p I have a good reason for no pics yet- once I got them installed I had to cook dinner for a lady friend.;) Once I got home I had to study for a Linux test tomorrow (and I should be doing it now instead of posting this:eek:). Rest assured I'll get a few taken on Weds or Thurs. After my test I'm off til work on Tues and I won't get done til after midnite.

One reason I'm not in a rush to do an extended listening session immediately is that the sound is very similar to my previous speakers, the GR20's. I'd expect them to sound more open and be able to play louder with less distortion simply by virtue of having an extra driver, but I'd be surprised to have the fundamental sound be different. I've had many MA speakers over the years (a list: Silver 7i's, 8i's, Silver Center, FX/i surrounds, Bronze 2's, Bronze 3's, Bronze Center, Bronze B2's, Gold Ref Center, Gold Ref 10's, Gold Ref 20's and now Gold Ref 60's): one hallmark of the brand is very consistent voicing across a given product line. In other words, they have the Gold "house sound."

I will address this one though:

I haven't tried yet, but my GR20's had some serious slam for their size. I did try them extensively with the sub on/off to compare and I often had to walk over to the sub and feel the driver to verify it wasn't playing. The GR20's were very satisfying with music, no sub really required. With one more driver and a larger cabinet the GR60's should do even better.

Bear in mind I have the Gold Reference series- they've been replaced by the Gold Signature series. The guy I bought my GR60's from 'upgraded' to GS60's. Basically he did so because his GF wanted a different finish. In his opinion the new GS line has maybe a bit better bass yet but he said if not for his GF he wouldn't have considered it worth it.

Darn women! Of course if you get new speakers out of it. :cool:

Congrats on yours!

I think I would like the cherry, but that is a guess.

Do you have pics of the "old ones"? Maybe a visual comparison is in order. ;)

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
First a post on new speakers with no pictures. Then a post about a lady friend to cover up the fact you have no pictures.

Now your going to have to get pictures of the speakers and you with the lady friend for us to be able to believe anything you say.:(

It might be a good idea to throw in a pic of your linux test's grade for good measure.

Maybe then you can be trusted again. :p

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
don't forget to include today's paper in those pics. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis