The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Dolby CatMos :D and the ohhhh, Auro3d wow 2 titles.

1.jpg

Oh forgot Cliffhanger isn't Dolby TrueHD Atmos, they pulled a fast one at the moment it was released.

GRAVITY still at the demo #1 position.

The Matrix, dreadful colour waste of my time rather watch the Laserdisc or first pressing DVD.

Terminator Genisy, demo but dreadful movie, hope they never make another one.

Blade Runner 2049 or 11 minutes to 9 O'clock :D okay demo.
Blade Runner 2049, 11 minutes to 9 O'clock again? Oh Auro3d not blown away with it.

Alien Covenant, demo, guilty pleasure. :D

Mission Impossible Rouge One :D Nation, Oh I thought it was a Star Wars movie?

Mad Max: Road Fury, demo.

2.jpg

Star Trek into Deafness is okay demo with voices sometimes overhead and across the screen channels with lots of "deafening" bangs crashes and explosions.

San Andreas okay demo but still deafening for most others on this forum. :D

Hacksaw Ridge, demo.

Superman and Batman, dreadful.

Unbroken, demo for only short while of the opening of the movie.

Oblivion, nah, okay demo.

Lucy, it didn't knock my socks off.

3.jpg

Red Tails and why wasn't jar, jar binks in it?

Underworld, demo better than Blood Wars.

Man of Steel enough said. I rather watch Superman the Movie theatrical original mix on Laserdisc.

Salt not bothered watching it again.

Sicario not all that great rather depressing at times to watch.

Deep Water Horizon, All I can remember about this movie was the underwater scenes belching as if the oil rig had indigestion and that is all I can remember? Oh and that disturbing scene with bird strike hitting the helicopter RIP bird. :(
Valerian, enough said.

4.jpg

The Equalizer okay demo but not the final word in Atmos.

The Magnificent Seven the showdown shootout okay demo with occasional voices now and then heard from different positions with horses running around and guns shooting with odd few explosions.

Mission Impossible and almost impossible to watch it again.

Everest, not really sure if it is a demo?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andyblackcat’s list of Atmos Reference Demo Blu-Ray Movies.

1. GRAVITY still at the demo #1 position
2. Terminator Genisy, demo
3. Alien Covenant, demo
4. Mad Max: Fury Road, demo.
5. Hacksaw Ridge, demo.
6. Underworld, demo
Folks, these 6 Atmos blu-rays must have really good Atmos effects to get Andyblackcat’s seal of approval!

Also note that both Auro3D blu-ray movies - Blade Runner 2049 and Red Tails - we’re not good in terms of Auro3D effects.

I agree that Andy’s list of blu-ray movies are demo-quality Atmos.

I am not anywhere near as critical as Andy is with his standards.

For me, to get the “Reference Demo” stamp, the Atmos movie just needs to have a lot of cool Atmos overhead sound effects - even if the effects are not completely realistic. :D

My list:
Gravity, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Equalizer, Underworld Blood Wars, Oblivion, The Great Wall.

I need to re-watch Hacksaw Ridge, Alient Covenant, and Mad Max Fury Road since they are on Andyblackcat’s list. :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
But I think you and I are a lot closer in our Atmos ratings than Andy. :D

I think you and I are more forgiving. We check reality at the door and just enjoy the heck out of the sound effects when possible. :D
Indeed, I have a friend who literally cannot watch the vast majority of my collection simply because he refuses to suspend disbelief. Last one I got him to like was Hidden Figures and even there he thought there were problems. Excellent film bye the way.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I need to re-watch Hacksaw Ridge, Alient Covenant, and Mad Max Fury Road since they are on Andyblackcat’s list. :D
I would go with Hacksaw and Fury Road. Not much to say about Covenant, mine is a bluray, so no Atmos other than it manages to be probably worse than Prometheus and Alien 3, quite an achievement. Life is a better alien movie than Covenant.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Andyblackcat’s list of Atmos Reference Demo Blu-Ray Movies.

Folks, these 6 Atmos blu-rays must have really good Atmos effects to get Andyblackcat’s seal of approval!

Also note that both Auro3D blu-ray movies - Blade Runner 2049 and Red Tails - we’re not good in terms of Auro3D effects.

I agree that Andy’s list of blu-ray movies are demo-quality Atmos.

I am not anywhere near as critical as Andy is with his standards.

For me, to get the “Reference Demo” stamp, the Atmos movie just needs to have a lot of cool Atmos overhead sound effects - even if the effects are not completely realistic. :D

My list:
Gravity, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Equalizer, Underworld Blood Wars, Oblivion, The Great Wall.

I need to re-watch Hacksaw Ridge, Alien Covenant, and Mad Max Fury Road since they are on Andyblackcat’s list. :D
Mad Max Road Fury. Listened to many times often same chapter for 2 hours repeated over and over. The chapter where everyone on motorbikes is chasing the truck.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I would go with Hacksaw and Fury Road. Not much to say about Covenant, mine is a bluray, so no Atmos other than it manages to be probably worse than Prometheus and Alien 3, quite an achievement. Life is a better alien movie than Covenant.
Only seen the ending on youtube it sort of reminded me of, "Species II" landing on Mars and later on with the liquid goo Alien slivering across the spacecraft fright deck floor then grabs some of the crew and alters their DNA.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I'm going to brace myself for further Mission Impossible fallout, torture late on in the day as there was so much Atmos wrong with that movie that I noticed.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Only seen the ending on youtube it sort of reminded me of, "Species II"
I found it very reminiscent of the first Alien. Admittedly the ending is a bit obvious, but otherwise it is quite well done for probably a fraction of the Covenant budget.

It was on Netflix or Prime but it looks like it's been pulled now.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I found it very reminiscent of the first Alien. Admittedly the ending is a bit obvious, but otherwise it is quite well done for probably a fraction of the Covenant budget.

It was on Netflix or Prime but it looks like it's been pulled now.
I shall see tomorrow when it arrives. 104 minutes, surely they couldn't be any worse than Species II.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I shall see tomorrow when it arrives. 104 minutes, surely they couldn't be any worse than Species II.
Story might be painful but the special effects for back then we're super cool on species II!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish they would do another Alien movie like James Cameron’s Aliens. Or just remake it with a new cast in 8K and Atmos. :D

Aliens is my favorite movie in the franchise, but I just hate the old look and sound. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I wish they would do another Alien movie like James Cameron’s Aliens. Or just remake it with a new cast in 8K and Atmos. :D

Aliens is my favorite movie in the franchise, but I just hate the old look and sound. :D
It definetly hasn't aged perfectly but I still like it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It definetly hasn't aged perfectly but I still like it!
I heard that Alien is headed for 4K UHD remastering, so hopefully all the Alien movies, especially Aliens, will also get remastered in 4K UHD Atmos.

As of now, Covenant is the only movie in the Alien franchise to feature Atmos.

Prometheus got 4K UHD, but not Atmos.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
"Get your ass to Mars" collection.
49519731_10156747833260149_6360097050633175040_n.jpg

I don't know where I placed Total Recall THX laserdisc so included the DVD/bluray versions.

Newest is LIFE (2017) another Mars drama horror sci-fi with exceptionally okay visual effects of weightless. A life form from Mars being tested on the international space station now threatens life on earth.

The Maritain (2015) Seemed to drag with very little exciting action just lots of annoying disco music.

Last Days On Mars (2013) was okay not a lot of action but the drama was tense and the music end credits was cool.

Mission To Mars (2000) not a lot of action more drama but very slow with okay visual effects at the time.

Red Planet (2000) a bit of action but mostly drama with some iffy visual effects.

Total Recall (1990) A whole Mars Ass Kicking Action enough said.

Total Recall (2012) A lot of action but Colin Farrell, didn't have his ass anywhere near Mars a bit of disappointment.

Mars Attacks! (1996) A lot of action blended with dark humor comedy.

Species II (1998) Aliens come from Mars so they can have lots of sex on Earth.

Did I mention the sound? That comes later.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I heard that Alien is headed for 4K UHD remastering, so hopefully all the Alien movies, especially Aliens, will also get remastered in 4K UHD Atmos.

As of now, Covenant is the only movie in the Alien franchise to feature Atmos.

Prometheus got 4K UHD, but not Atmos.
Prometheus was meh and the sound wasn't that great IMHO. I used DSU and didn't get much overhead.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
LIFE (2017)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

1.jpg

A life form from Mars travels back to Earth on probe spacecraft to be studied on the International Space Station when all goes wrong.

2.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
After careful consideration and listening this is one of these Brain Vessa sony near field re-mixes and with being said it gets thrown into the Cat Litter Box for worst dolby atmos of 2017.
49203489_10156751006425149_7061539229536354304_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
How come? No Atmos overhead effects at all?
Its a Brain Vessa, sony pictures near field mix that = Crap. Brain Vessa, can't help it. he's been at since 1998 so if this d)ck has crusade then so do I will throw his crap mixes into the Cat Litter Box without purse.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis