The Denon AVR-X7200W AV Receiver is Upgradeable

Which flagship Atmos AV Receiver do you want?

• Denon AVR-X7200W

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Yamaha RX-A3040

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Pioneer Elite SC-89

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Onkyo TX-NR3030

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon AVR-X7200W A/V Receiver Preview

The AVR-X7200W is Denon's newest flagship A/V receiver and its upgradeable. Priced at one dollar below $3k, this 9.2 channel receiver (expandable to 11.2) boasting 150W of power per channel, Audyssey MultEQ XT with SubEQ, HDMI 2.0, Dolby Atmos, and Auro-3D (optional upgrade). Denon also has one other important trick up their sleeve: they are promising a hardware upgrade next year which will make the AVR-X7200W HDCP 2.2 compliant while retaining full speed HDMI 2.0.

Read our Denon AVR-X7200W AV Receiver Preview

Do you want this AV Receiver or the similarly featured but less costly new Yamaha RX-A3040?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, yeah, naturally I would take this Denon over the Yamaha. :)

I can't speak for YPAO fans being loyal to YPAO, but I think Audyssey fans who love and use Audyssey every day would never buy a Yamaha unless they offer the same.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I prefer the Denon only because of Audyssey, otherwise Yamaha for sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer the Denon only because of Audyssey, otherwise Yamaha for sure.
Only for Audyssey?

If Yamaha has all the features that Denon has, I would still get Denon because I prefer the Denon aesthetic. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Only for Audyssey?

If Yamaha has all the features that Denon has, I would still get Denon because I prefer the Denon aesthetic. :)
Me too, but I have had a few Denon and Marantz already so for me it is time to try another Yamaha. The only one Yamaha product I own is a RX-V659 that is still working 100% in like new condition. I know it is not audible but I do prefer the slightly audio specs that Yamaha seem to offer, I mean the 3040 vs 7200. If you can believe in forum reports, Yamaha seems to be top in terms of reliability. Overall, a RX-A30X0 equipped with XT32/SubEQHT will more than make up for the lesser aesthetic, and we all know how subjective aesthetic is.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Nice AVR, but I will pony up the extra 500 and get the Marantz AV8802, don't want to see my Halos go to waste :) and I definitely prefer the aesthetic of Marantz over Denon

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice AVR, but I will pony up the extra 500 and get the Marantz AV8802, don't want to see my Halos go to waste :) and I definitely prefer the aesthetic of Marantz over Denon
Again, I like the aesthetic of Marantz a little more as well. Still, I will not hesitate to swap my 8801 with the 7200 just to have the added features to play with.:D I have never used the balanced I/O as I have absolutely no need for them. The 8802 is internally equivalent to the 7200 plus balanced I/O minus amp sections. With the 7200, I will have the choice of using it as a prepro only or selling my 8 channel power amp, keep the 2 channel for L/R and let the 7200 drive the other 5 speakers. By the way, I think the list price for the AV8802 will be $1,000 higher, not $500.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Again, I like the aesthetic of Marantz a little more as well. Still, I will not hesitate to swap my 8801 with the 7200 just to have the added features to play with.:D I have never used the balanced I/O as I have absolutely no need for them. The 8802 is internally equivalent to the 7200 plus balanced I/O minus amp sections. With the 7200, I will have the choice of using it as a prepro only or selling my 8 channel power amp, keep the 2 channel for L/R and let the 7200 drive the other 5 speakers. By the way, I think the list price for the AV8802 will be $1,000 higher, not $500.
I was talking to an online Marantz Dealer who said it was going to be around $3500, but I can see it being more. It's my understanding that it will already be HDCP 2.2. full bandwidth complaint upon launch (Feb/March). Factor the cost to send the 7200 back and forth to D&H and the cost to upgrade the HDCP, I figure they are closer in price than not. That and the fact that I am going to need some decent cable length to run from my HT setup to my equipment room, so I want to go with Balanced. Don't get me wrong though, if I already didn't own 2 A51s and a A21 It would definitely be a front runner.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Me too, but I have had a few Denon and Marantz already so for me it is time to try another Yamaha. The only one Yamaha product I own is a RX-V659 that is still working 100% in like new condition. I know it is not audible but I do prefer the slightly audio specs that Yamaha seem to offer, I mean the 3040 vs 7200. If you can believe in forum reports, Yamaha seems to be top in terms of reliability. Overall, a RX-A30X0 equipped with XT32/SubEQHT will more than make up for the lesser aesthetic, and we all know how subjective aesthetic is.
Yeah, aesthetic is purely subjective.

What's the odds of Yamaha switching to Audyssey? :)

Probably 1% especially if they are not hurting in sales. :)

Without Audyssey, Yamaha would have 0% of getting any businesses from guys like us who love Audyssey. But if their sales numbers are stellar, Yamaha won't care.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was talking to an online Marantz Dealer who said it was going to be around $3500, but I can see it being more. It's my understanding that it will already be HDCP 2.2. full bandwidth complaint upon launch (Feb/March). Factor the cost to send the 7200 back and forth to D&H and the cost to upgrade the HDCP, I figure they are closer in price than not. That and the fact that I am going to need some decent cable length to run from my HT setup to my equipment room, so I want to go with Balanced. Don't get me wrong though, if I already didn't own 2 A51s and a A21 It would definitely be a front runner.
Agree, for long cable length balanced is the way to go. I thought the HDCP 2.2 will be via firmware upgrade but that's just hearsay. I just found out the 8802/7200 will have different DACs than the 8801/4520. Apparently it will be the AK4490 that is slightly better in THD and slightly worse in dynamic range than the TI(BB)1795. All moot as the differences are theoretically indistinguishable by even golden ears.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, aesthetic is purely subjective.

What's the odds of Yamaha switching to Audyssey? :)

Probably 1% especially if they are not hurting in sales. :)

Without Audyssey, Yamaha would have 0% of getting any businesses from guys like us who love Audyssey. But if their sales numbers are stellar, Yamaha won't care.
Unfortunately I think you are correct, they have 0 reason to switch to Audyssey, even if Audyssey offer them for free.:D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Agree, for long cable length balanced is the way to go. I thought the HDCP 2.2 will be via firmware upgrade but that's just hearsay. I just found out the 8802/7200 will have different DACs than the 8801/4520. Apparently it will be the AK4490 that is slightly better in THD and slightly worse in dynamic range than the TI(BB)1795. All moot as the differences are theoretically indistinguishable by even golden ears.
Gene's post says hardware upgrade. I was talking to some guy who claimed to be a Marantz dealer on AVS forum and that went along with what he said. It's my understanding that right now its a two chip solution for full HDCP 2.2 and that the new revision is not going to be out until next year. That you would have to send your unit in for the upgrade, Not 100% sure, but makes sense since they are not going to launch the 8802 until Feb/March timeframe.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene's post says hardware upgrade. I was talking to some guy who claimed to be a Marantz dealer on AVS forum and that went along with what he said. It's my understanding that right now its a two chip solution for full HDCP 2.2 and that the new revision is not going to be out until next year. That you would have to send your unit in for the upgrade, Not 100% sure, but makes sense since they are not going to launch the 8802 until Feb/March timeframe.
So looks like if you buy it at launch it will be a hardware upgrade, if you buy it a little later it could become a firmware update and then if you buy it say 6 months after launch you will have it built in. Unless you don't care about that feature, there is little reason for not waiting for 6 months or longer to avoid the trouble and will most likely pay less by then.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately I think you are correct, they have 0 reason to switch to Audyssey, even if Audyssey offer them for free.:D
You think it's pride getting in the way? :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
So looks like if you buy it at launch it will be a hardware upgrade, if you buy it a little later it could become a firmware update and then if you buy it say 6 months after launch you will have it built in. Unless you don't care about that feature, there is little reason for not waiting for 6 months or longer to avoid the trouble and will most likely pay less by then.
I agree, I would assume in 6 months after release it would be included, in which case I would wait to buy it until then. After reflecting on my build, my amps will be close to my pre/pro and if there were a 1K difference in price I would definitely consider the Denon over the Marantz all things considered.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, I would assume in 6 months after release it would be included, in which case I would wait to buy it until then. After reflecting on my build, my amps will be close to my pre/pro and if there were a 1K difference in price I would definitely consider the Denon over the Marantz all things considered.
If your RCA leads can be kept to shorter than 2 to 3 meters there is no point using balanced. Almost every review I have seen showed balanced I/O actually yielded slightly worse noise numbers, no idea why but that's a fact and you can easily search for those bench tests results including AH's and see for yourself. I know ADTG will tell you the same because he frequent those bench tests sites too. I do love my 8801 but I honestly won't do it again as money is tighter now. Why pay for a Marantz AVP when I can get a Denon flag ship AVR of practically equivalent features and audio specs but $1000 less. The better look can hardly justify the extra cost. Besides, >$3,000 and just > a year later, I already feel my beloved 8801 outdated. If I had the 4520, my pain would have been 1/3 less.:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of all of my very humble HT components, somehow I feel my 7 year old AVR is the last item I expect to replace any time soon (as long it is fully functional)
I do feel a bit envy for Dynamic EQ for I constantly hear ADTG praises it, but otherwise, my 7 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 still holds it's own in my aspects which I care about.

Stuff like network management, streaming, atmos, 3d, wifi and bt - I easily live without and as for power, mine still packs a serious punch at 7x125wpc and weights like small tank about 50lbs. Maybe Dolby certification are indeed silly, but I do hope there is a good reason that is it was guaranteed to provide 85db sound level with 20db headroom in 3000 sqft rooms and distance of 12ft from screen.

If I had a bit more modern avr, which supported Dynamic EQ I would probably be even less inclined to replace it, if such is even possible.

That said, if the inevitable happens, the most likely candidate for replacement would be Denon

Onkyo was the value rebel, which I don't feel that they are any more, while Denon is very strong in this area in my option

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If your RCA leads can be kept to shorter than 2 to 3 meters there is no point using balanced. Almost every review I have seen showed balanced I/O actually yielded slightly worse noise numbers, no idea why but that's a fact and you can easily search for those bench tests results including AH's and see for yourself. I know ADTG will tell you the same because he frequent those bench tests sites too. I do love my 8801 but I honestly won't do it again as money is tighter now. Why pay for a Marantz AVP when I can get a Denon flag ship AVR of practically equivalent features and audio specs but $1000 less. The better look can hardly justify the extra cost. Besides, >$3,000 and just > a year later, I already feel my beloved 8801 outdated. If I had the 4520, my pain would have been 1/3 less.:D
Good points, I still have the 4520 I got from best buy in it's box until I move. It is going to replace the Integra in my bedroom. I keep going back an forth on selling it, but at 1K its such a dang good deal :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis