The Death of My PrePro!?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
:eek:

I have this friend......
Some of you may remember his quest for the Acurus A250 amps. Well, he tore down the whole rig, vacumed behind the whole thing, cleaned the rack, dusted all the units, made new speaker wires for the biamping, and then carefully put the rig all back together................no sound.
He spent many hours reconnecting everything. He put the system back to its original one amp setup. No sound. When he set the pre amp to bybass he could hear a faint sound of music through the speaks, but the volume control had no effect on that. So he took his cheapo Denon AVR 1801 and put in place of the pre pro and using the pre outs for the Acurus biamp set up and presto the rig worked fine, just as advertised, witht the A250 really delivering the goods.
He checked the fuse in the power cord plug in and put a new one in there just to be safe. The unit isn't muted through the mute button. The muting is off. Is is possible the A250's were too much power through the pre pro? He doesn't know what the relationship between the pre and the amps are re power and current. The fact that the Denon 1801 handles it fine would seem to say that wasn't the issue.
He will try to put it back in the system one more time before sending it to Canada for servicing! Any thoughts before he packs it up would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance. D2T

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
Is there a tape monitor/external eq switch on the unit. It sounds like it might be engaged and the sound you hear is 'leakage' n the system.

DSA

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Is there a tape monitor/external eq switch on the unit. It sounds like it might be engaged and the sound you hear is 'leakage' n the system.

DSA
That was good thinking, I have had this happen a few times.;)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Wow, I thought my thread was dead! Thanks for the heads up.....

My prepro is sitting......and I was gonna try hooking it up once more before I shipped it to Canada for service.

I will check this out and report back to you. Thanks again!:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, I thought my thread was dead! Thanks for the heads up.....

My prepro is sitting......and I was gonna try hooking it up once more before I shipped it to Canada for service.

I will check this out and report back to you. Thanks again!:D
Two to Three days is a slow responce, but not death.:D I hope you get lucky with the Tape Loop thing.:)

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
davidtwotrees

I just noticed your equipment listed in your sig and if you are talking about the Pre2DSP, then this is the same pre-pro that I own, check for a green led to the left of the main display; if it is on, then the tape monitor is engaged. This is the only indication that it is on.

It is easy to accidentally engage this as the button sits directly above the input selector the remote.

There is also a small button on the underside of the unit which engages the tape loop input, try pushing it in than out and see if that helps.

I hope that this is all that it turns out to be. Keep us posted.

DSA

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Sweet Judy Blue Eyes and the Two Deaf Audiophiles!
I really like this prepro and would hate to have a problem with it!
....well, I was dying to figure this out and so hooked up a quik system in my defunct bedroom set up. Got the ole rotel 956 six channel out....
well, the tape loop wasn't on, and I had pressed the secret yellow button on the bottom.......but I did it again and now I am listening to two channel in my bedroom., so I am getting sound where before there was none!
I will get this back in the big system and give it a go! (but man that's a pain to pull the receiver and put the prepro back in)
Thanks all! I will keep you posted.........

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
If your unit does not have the latest updates, then it may be worth sending it in to have it upgraded and cleaned up at the same time.

It is a quirky little processor and may not have all of the latest bells and whistles, but to me its idiosyncrasies are worth it for the sonic widow it opens up before me.

DSA

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis