The Crown XLS DriveCore Thread

M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Thanks jinjuku and Nestor. It was frustating for a bit, kind of lucked into the resetting after the Nexus prompted me. I just kept thinking surely a up to date av receiver in this price range would have more sound adjustment options. I'm very happy with the folded horn table tuba now. Hope to build it's mate here in a second. Only thing I'm thinking of doing electronics-wise now is possibly trading up from the Crown xls 1000 to the Crown xls 1500, comments I've seen around indicate it has better numbers as far as noise floor and s/n ratio. It is supposed to have 525 watts/channel at 4 ohms as opposed to the 350/channel for the xls 1000. Would that be detrimental to the jbl gto804, rated at 200 watts?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks jinjuku and Nestor. It was frustating for a bit, kind of lucked into the resetting after the Nexus prompted me. I just kept thinking surely a up to date av receiver in this price range would have more sound adjustment options. I'm very happy with the folded horn table tuba now. Hope to build it's mate here in a second. Only thing I'm thinking of doing electronics-wise now is possibly trading up from the Crown xls 1000 to the Crown xls 1500, comments I've seen around indicate it has better numbers as far as noise floor and s/n ratio. It is supposed to have 525 watts/channel at 4 ohms as opposed to the 350/channel for the xls 1000. Would that be detrimental to the jbl gto804, rated at 200 watts?
If that's your true reasoning for going from a 1000 to a 1500 you're wasting your money. The noise floor differences, if there indeed are any, will likely be inaudible, and the power difference is less than 2db.

Speaker power ratings are meaningless.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The folded horn subs are by virtue of design not going to need a lot of power. The 1000 should be more than adequate for most reasonable sized rooms.

M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Irv and jinjuku, I'll not mess with it!

L

Luvthefloyd

Audiophyte
Hi, i'm considering a couple of these for my system. Is there consensus on if there's a audible difference in sq between the 1000 and 1500? I know the spec is slightly different. It doesn't look like it has a trigger are most people just leaving them on? Sequencer? And lastly i keep reading about deals people seem to fund, what's my best bet? Thanks!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hi, i'm considering a couple of these for my system. Is there consensus on if there's a audible difference in sq between the 1000 and 1500? I know the spec is slightly different. It doesn't look like it has a trigger are most people just leaving them on? Sequencer? And lastly i keep reading about deals people seem to fund, what's my best bet? Thanks!
I doubt that there is an audible difference. However the 1500 on up differs slightly (I forget how) that makes them a bit more robust. There is no 12v trigger, but you can use a power strip that has a signal sense or an auto sequencer. Personally I use the power button.

L

Luvthefloyd

Audiophyte
I'll probably do the same, the sequencer options are pretty expensive.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I leave mine on all the time. No issues. I would prefer a sequencer however.

L

Luvthefloyd

Audiophyte
The cheapest option i've seen is the belkin pf60. I have one in my main system. Just not sure i'll have the rack space for it in this system.

W

weng

Enthusiast
hi,

is the crown XLS1500 input voltage user selectable? i plan to get one from amazon and use it overseas with 220 volts power outlet.

does it really need a samson or art cleanbox to level match the XLS input from the receiver? i am using an onkyo 818 and not sure if the sub pre-out has enough voltage to feed the XLS amp. i did not see a definite answer as some owners successfully run the XLS amp without it.

if ever the samson or art cleanbox is necessary, then i have to order it so it will arrive together with the XLS amp. otherwise i will be left hanging without the samson or art cleanbox to test my sub.

btw, i will be hooking one channel of the XLS amp to a JL12W7 sub in a simple kappa perfect box. don't know what to do with the other channel but idea comes in mind to build a sealed cabinet for the kappa perfects to be used for midbass powered by ch2 of the XLS amp.

what are your thoughts?

jinjuku

jinjuku

You will need to purchase a unit configured for your AC mains voltage. You will want to simply make your connections from source to amp and see how it does. You may not need a bump box.

You could always run the Crown bridged for your JL sub. Running the JL in a box designed around another driver may not yield you the desired results you want BTW.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
weng, you don't need an AC to AC converter. At the back of XLS clearly shows support for multiple voltages and frequencies
Since XLS accepts RCA unbalanced inputs you may not need bump boxes.
Running xls 1500 bridged into JL12W's 3 Ohm load at full blast (over 1500w) may damage the driver so be careful

jinjuku

jinjuku

weng, you don't need an AC to AC converter. At the back of XLS clearly shows support for multiple voltages and frequencies
Running xls 1500 bridged into JL12W's 3 Ohm load at full blast (over 1500w) may damage the driver so be careful
The XLS isn't a global power supply. That dot on the back is for factory setting indicator.

W

weng

Enthusiast
clarification: what i meant about input voltage is the MAINS, from the default 110 volts to 220 volts.

W

weng

Enthusiast
You will need to purchase a unit configured for your AC mains voltage. You will want to simply make your connections from source to amp and see how it does. You may not need a bump box.

You could always run the Crown bridged for your JL sub. Running the JL in a box designed around another driver may not yield you the desired results you want BTW.
the JL12W7 is a single 3-ohm sub hence, i will have to use 1 ch only as bridging the amp can go up to 4-ohm load only according to specs.

the W7 works perfectly in a Simple Kappa Box with slight modification to accommodate the taller driver. it even out-performs the kappa perfect.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/45528-simple-12-infinity-kappa-vq-midq-plans-44.html

W

weng

Enthusiast
good if it accepts RCA without issues. have read before that some owners experienced low output due to low input signal coming off the receiver's sub out.

what is the power requirement of an XLS1500 running at max load? i have a 3000 watts automatic voltage regulator (step down from 220 volts to 110 volts) used only by the Onkyo 818 (also a 110 volts unit). hope it can handle both the 818 and XL1500 without issues.

E

ekgajewski

Audiophyte
New Member Using 4 DriveCore Amps

I am using (3) 1500's (LCR bi-amp) and a 2500 on sub. I have very audible hiss/hum in my speakers.

I was using a Yamaha RX-V1065 to drive the amps. I debated between obtaining a "pro" processor like a DBX DriveRack, to give the amps a better input signal. I may still do this.

Instead, I jumped on a Sherbourn PT-7030 with balanced XLR outputs. Although the sound "quality" is noticeably better, the pre-amp output levels are about the same.

I am using Monster power centers on everything. I originally had it without them and thought they might help with the noise. They did nothing.

I am thinking about running a dedicated 40 amp circuit to the theater electronics.

Has anyone had a noise issue and successfully gotten rid of it?

One thing to note, I am using VERY high efficiency compression drivers with a horn. So, the noise floor is greatly exaggerated.

Another note... Since I needed 4 more channels of amplification, I am currently using the Behringer Europower 304. In case anyone was contemplating it, it sounds good, but the fan is VERY loud.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am using (3) 1500's (LCR bi-amp) and a 2500 on sub. I have very audible hiss/hum in my speakers.

I was using a Yamaha RX-V1065 to drive the amps. I debated between obtaining a "pro" processor like a DBX DriveRack, to give the amps a better input signal. I may still do this.

Instead, I jumped on a Sherbourn PT-7030 with balanced XLR outputs. Although the sound "quality" is noticeably better, the pre-amp output levels are about the same.

I am using Monster power centers on everything. I originally had it without them and thought they might help with the noise. They did nothing.

I am thinking about running a dedicated 40 amp circuit to the theater electronics.

Has anyone had a noise issue and successfully gotten rid of it?

One thing to note, I am using VERY high efficiency compression drivers with a horn. So, the noise floor is greatly exaggerated.

Another note... Since I needed 4 more channels of amplification, I am currently using the Behringer Europower 304. In case anyone was contemplating it, it sounds good, but the fan is VERY loud.
If using horns it can be an issue. What happens if you unplug the inputs into the Crown. So you are just power cable to the Crown, speaker cable to the speaker?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis