The Crown XLS DriveCore Thread

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
1V is a problem since it will take 1.4v to drive the Crown to it's full potential. Now the issue may lay in the Art Clean Box. I own one and it does work.

I think I may run into this problem. Is the Art Clean Box able to solve that problem, or at least is that what it is supposed to do? I have a music store close that has the Clean Box in stock, so I could snag one if it is needed.
Yup, the cleanbox pro will do that. I would verify that the receiver can't drive the amp to your desired levels first though.

wshuff

wshuff

Audioholic
Alright, poking around the Internet I've found that the Drive Core II models are supposed to be available on 6/15. So maybe I got a little overzealous and should have held off for a day or so before grabbing an XLS 1500. I should have it tomorrow and within a short time will know whether it works with my setup. If not, rather than spend time looking for a solution, it will be up on eBay and I'll snag the 1502 from Guitar Center. Which means somebody here could well get an XLS 1500 for cheap.

wshuff

wshuff

Audioholic
My XLS 1500 arrived earlier this week and I had a few hours to play around with it before I headed out of town again. Despite everything I've read, I still wasn't prepared for the size. I think it is only about 1/3 as deep as my curent 5-channel amp. Before it arrived I read an article all about gain structure to prepare myself for setting up the Drive Core, then I promptly forgot everything I'd read. I hooked it up, remembered reading something about maxing out the gain (although I couldn't recall if that was a do or a don't), so I did, then played some familiar music in stereo. I'd like to say that everything was different, that the sound grabbed me by the collar and punched me in the face with its dynamics, that the amp was so revealing I could tell what the conductor was thinking AND what he had for lunch, but the truth is . . . it just sounded like my system has always sounded. And I take that to be a good thing because for about half the price per channel, I've got more power in a smaller chassis that is more efficient. I call that win-win-win. And once I get my 5-channel amp fixed (until the XLS arrived I was using three of the four working channels in my 5-channel amp), I'll have 7 channels of power.

I will note that from my listening position I heard no noise, but with my ear a few inches from the speaker I heard some hiss/hum (hum seemed to be from the line of the woofers, hiss the line of tweeters), but backing off a few clicks on the gain rendered it silent. And, watching hockey and an episode of Marvels DareDevil, the 1500 seemed to have no trouble hitting the levels that I like and then some. So whether or not my Yamaha receiver actually has the juice to power the XLS 1500 to its full potentiail, it seems like it is close enough for me.

Last edited:
R

red71rum

Audiophyte
I found out about the Crowns on Avsforums and was wondering if they would benefit my l/c/r, Acoustic Research AR312HO's(4 ohm) and Acoustic Research AR2C center? I was going to hook up maybe an XLS 2000 and XLS 1500 to my Pioneer 1222-k, for the above speakers. If this a dumb question, I apologize in advance.

anomaly7

anomaly7

Audiophyte
I got a pair of the 2502's for use with my CBT36 line array speakers. I'd love to be able to compare them with my class AB amps, and I'll do so in the future, but at this point they get some big thumbs up for their bass and treble extension. The only quibbles I have with the system now is a bit of graininess on the highs at louder (very high, very loud) passages I have a feeling that's more a fault of the Behringer crossover than the Crown's. I'm going to end up modifying the Behringer and that will tell me a lot after that's done, but 440 wpc (775 peak) for $500 an amp was so cheap I had to give these a try. No detectable fan noise from a few inches away. I love the balanced inputs, and Speakon connectors for the speakers.
They're not pretty or audiophile looking but you don't see them where I've got them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis