The best true 5.1 setting on receiver

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Hey everyone, like the title says I'm just curious what is the best setting for 5.1 surround sound for movies, games, and music. I have a Pioneer VSX-823-K. I currently have it set to pro-logic II movie, but I currently read somewhere that Pro logic is not "real" 5.1 it's meant to take none 5.1 sound and convert it to 5.1. If this is true should I not be using a different setting for things that don't need to be converted, such as blu-ray, ps3 games, anything in HD really. I did play around with the settings but the problem is pro logic seems to be the only setting that plays on all 5 speakers, that doesn't seem right. the other settings either play only on the rear surround speakers and center speaker or on all but the center speaker. All speakers work correctly on the pro-logic setting. Anyways, any information given would be appreciated thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, DPL and Neo takes stereo sources and kerfutz with those two channels, what with phase information, delay, and various other things and somehow manage to get something different to come out of all your speakers. Yes, it's not "true" multi channel but if gives those who insist on getting sound out of every channel they paid for something to take home.

Basically, without these digital processing schemes, whatever you're playing through your system will only come from the channels it's recorded in. For instance, stereo music from CD, MP3, etc, is only supposed to come out of two speakers, not five.

Now, keep in mind that there is no "best" here. That is strictly a personal preference.

For movies, I prefer the sources original plain vanilla digital 5(or whatever).1, from either Dolby Digital or DTS with no added DSP. Even then, not all speakers are busy at all times. The surrounds make no noise for long stretches and that's intentional.

As for music, I prefer plain two-channel stereo with no fake DSP effects. I don't do games so I have no opinion. I do have a few 5 channel SACD's but that's a different animal. They were recorded that way and I play them as plain vanilla as well.

As for your wanting to add effects with the DSP modes your system offers, just keep playing around until you find the onethatsounds best to you. That's really all there is to it. That's kinda like asking for the best flavor ice cream. In my case, assuming it's a quality ice cream to begin with, I loves me some vamilla.

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
markw is pretty much on track, but I wanted to point out this for further comment from knowledgeable folks: "the other settings either play only on the rear surround speakers and center speaker or on all but the center speaker." What is that about?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For 5.1/6.1 audio, no processing at all would give you "true" surround, however you can still apply things like DPL to "expand" that to 7.1 and it will only simulate the two additional channels, not everything - if you have only a 5.1 system, then doing this buys you nothing IMO. I have only a 5.1 setup and use no post processing.

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
Hey everyone, like the title says I'm just curious what is the best setting for 5.1 surround sound for movies, games, and music. I have a Pioneer VSX-823-K. I currently have it set to pro-logic II movie, but I currently read somewhere that Pro logic is not "real" 5.1 it's meant to take none 5.1 sound and convert it to 5.1. If this is true should I not be using a different setting for things that don't need to be converted, such as blu-ray, ps3 games, anything in HD really. I did play around with the settings but the problem is pro logic seems to be the only setting that plays on all 5 speakers, that doesn't seem right. the other settings either play only on the rear surround speakers and center speaker or on all but the center speaker. All speakers work correctly on the pro-logic setting. Anyways, any information given would be appreciated thanks!
markw is pretty much on track, but I wanted to point out this for further comment from knowledgeable folks: "the other settings either play only on the rear surround speakers and center speaker or on all but the center speaker." What is that about?
Yeah that doesn't sound right, does your receiver have an "auto" mode?

That's the setting you want to use to get the native 5.1 soundtrack from Blu-Rays or other sources that are in 5.1 or 7.1.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Yeah that doesn't sound right, does your receiver have an "auto" mode?

That's the setting you want to use to get the native 5.1 soundtrack from Blu-Rays or other sources that are in 5.1 or 7.1.
Yes it does have an auto surround mode along with a couple different direct settings. I believe something is not right with with my receiver, in all honesty I have no idea what the problem might be. For example I just put in star trek on blu-ray, I tried my receiver on every setting it had. The auto surround mode only plays out of the front left and right speaker no sound comes out of any other speaker, it does not matter what is going on in the movie, for example I skipped to the 1st space fight in the beginning of the movie and still only played out of the front right and left speaker none of the others, the same is true with the direct modes.

Now when i switch to any Pro-Logic setting all speakers work. There are other settings under the advanced surround setting but the majority of those have an echoing effect. I'm not sure what the problem is, a setting? maybe i over looked, or could it be the fact that I do not have a sub-woofer yet? I don't think that should make a difference but who knows. If this problem continues maybe the receiver is broken? In which case I would want to take it back for a different one. I got this on 09/09/13 so I still got some time to take it back for an exchange or to get a different receiver all together. Any ideas or advice would be great, Thanks!

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
How do you have the receiver connected? Sounds like it isn't getting the sound data for the other speakers.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
How do you have the receiver connected? Sounds like it isn't getting the sound data for the other speakers.
I have my playstaion 3 hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable, I then have my TV connected to my receiver by optical cable. Something else that I'm going to go ahead and mention is just within the past few days I've been getting these crackling sounds from my front speakers, that may include my center speaker as well, its hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. Something really odd is when I am using my ps3 it crackles, but when I use the airplay option on the receiver, with my Iphone for music, I do not notice any crackling. I do have a different thread for this problem, but thought I'd mention it just in case it could be related to this threads problem. Of course I doubt it does, because the crackling just started but this setting issue has been a problem since i hooked it all up.

Thanks for your help

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The connection setup is almost certainly your problem. Many TVs only pass through stereo sound.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
The connection setup is almost certainly your problem. Many TVs only pass through stereo sound.
Ok so what setup would you suggest? One hdmi from ps3 to receiver then 1 hdmi from receiver to tv?

Thanks for your help

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Why do you have your ps3 connected to the tv anyway? Remove the optical cable as well if your hdmi cable supports ARC. Then take an hdmi cable connect your ps3 straight to your receiver and have the receiver hdmi out go to your tv.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you have your ps3 connected to the tv anyway? Remove the optical cable as well if your hdmi cable supports ARC. Then take an hdmi cable connect your ps3 straight to your receiver and have the receiver hdmi out go to your tv.
This ^ If the receiver does not have ARC then you need to go the other direction and go through the receiver first, but your issue is DEFINITELY how you have it connected. Even if your TV will pass multichannel audio over optical, you will STILL won't get DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD over it.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
This ^ If the receiver does not have ARC then you need to go the other direction and go through the receiver first, but your issue is DEFINITELY how you have it connected.
Alright I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and pick up another hdmi cable, Ill post if this fixes the problem. Do you guys think for any reason this could fix the crackling I've been getting?

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Crackling could be due to a few things...speaker connections...speaker cable...bad optical cable? Just buy a few hdmi cables for like $5 bucks from home depot or something.

G

Grador

The cracking could be the TV doing a lousy job of downmixing multi-channel to stereo. Though I wouldn't care to bet, there's a chance that the cracking sound will go away when you go HDMI to receiver.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Well I hope the new hdmi cord fixes all the probs lol.. Thanks for everyone's help I'll post after I test the new cord.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Hey everyone, so I changed the setup to the following- ps3 to receiver hdmi, receiver out to tv with hdmi, tv to receiver with optical cable. But I'm still having the same issue, the only setting that uses all the speakers as if it were surround sound is the pro logic setting. The auto surround and direct settings still only play out of the front left and front right speakers.

Any help would be great thanks!

G

Grador

Open up the audio settings on your PS3, make sure that all the output types are checked and that it's set to 5.1

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I dont understand the optical from the tv back to receiver, I would just run hdmi from ps3 to tv/panel for your hd viewing and then take that optical and run that from the ps3 to your receiver for your awesome 5.1 surround sound done deal. Now if you want your cable programs to go through your receiver as well then get a second optical and run from cable box to another optical input on your receiver, i think that would work pretty good for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis