The Batman - Spoiler Free

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My take on "The Batman".

I love it. I enjoy it a lot. I think it is very exciting so I don't feel like it was a "long 3hr movie".

I think Matt Reeves did a great job with the 3 Planet of the Apes movies and he did a great job with "The Batman".

I like the chemistry between Bruce - Selina, might be the best I've seen. There isn't much character development between them - maybe a 4 hour director's cut might show more. :D

I think my only gripe is with Alfred. I don't see a good "chemistry" between Bruce and Alfred in this movie.

I think Michael Caine - Christian Bale had great chemistry in the Dark Knight trilogy. I think Ben Affleck - Jeremy Irons had better chemistry than in this movie. I mean come on, how can they cast Gollum from Lord of the Rings as Alfred? :D :D

Tech Spec:
Video - The Batman was shot using 4.5K resolution Arri Alexa digital cameras, so the picture quality is very good. I was able to see all the dark scenes just fine, so no complaints from me.

Audio- Atmos was fantastic. I am putting this in my Atmos Reference List. I had to increase the volume by 6dB, but other than that, Atmos was wonderful and very active.
Easy now! I like Andy Serkis. I know you kid, but honestly he’s done a lot for motion capture.
Great movie. The Batman…
Edit: it’s Andy’s birthday today! Lmao.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I liked the movie and the cast. (Well didn’t really care for this version of Alfred but that’s just a minor thing). I liked the Riddler and his performance.

Felt like the movie was at least 40 min too long though. Maybe too many characters to deal with in one movie. For example the Penguin was cool but maybe give him his own movie.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I liked the movie and the cast. (Well didn’t really care for this version of Alfred but that’s just a minor thing). I liked the Riddler and his performance.

Felt like the movie was at least 40 min too long though. Maybe too many characters to deal with in one movie. For example the Penguin was cool but maybe give him his own movie.
There's a tv show in development for the Penguin/Colin Farrell https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/9/22969369/the-batman-hbo-max-series-penguin-colin-farrell

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Watched it 2 times now once just myself and then with the wife tonight . She actually liked most of it myself I think it’s very well done a different take and look . Would have liked a little more back story on Bruce Wayne would have been nice but all in all really cool take on the Bat Man story .

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I've watched it three times now. I like it a lot and I can't decide if it's better than The Dark Knight but it's definitely up there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
didn’t really care for this version of Alfred
See. I knew I couldn't be the only person to not like Alfed.

Alfred is pretty much Bruce's father figure since Alfred raised Bruce since he was a little kid. There should be major paternal "chemistry" between them. Yet, it felt very cold, distant, superficial, forced or unnatural to me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've watched it three times now. I like it a lot and I can't decide if it's better than The Dark Knight but it's definitely up there.
Same here. I’ve seen it twice now. Will watch it again on Blu-ray when it’s released.

“Batman Begins” had a lot more character development.

One thing I hated about Nolan’s Trilogy was that I felt he was a little preachy. For example, the scenes about the prison breakout and how I felt Nolan portrayed that humans can be “good” even if they are cold blooded killers? I hated that.

I also hated that Batman tried to save the Joker’s life. :D

Batman went from “I don’t have to save you” in “Batman Returns” to what? “I want to save the life of a mass serial killer who will kill many other people“? Pathetic IMO. :D

I didn’t feel the same “preachiness“ with Reeve’s version.

But if Reeve’s Batman ever tries to save these killers lives, I’m gonna hate it too. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s cool. I had no idea that was him when I watched the Batman. Despite liking some of his work, he’s always annoyed me just a little. The penguin was excellent imo.
I'm not the biggest Colin Farrell fan myself, but definitely disappeared in this role (even without the makeup to an extent). He's got a lot of hours in the makeup chair ahead of him....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There may be information ahead some would consider spoilers so proceed with caution.

Getting bored of these complete transformations of actors myself. You need to bring something of yourself to it so viewers get a bit of recognition and aren’t wasting time trying to figure out who the actor is and miss some information. The Penguin portrail, um portrayal, was a bit broad but not a disaster like Leto’s. No, not his Joker. That was sh#%t for sure, but his turn in “House of Gucci” was so awful it was both hilarious and offensive. What the f#%k was that? The porch rail does need a new coat of paint and has been on my mind.;)

They definitely went another way with the Alfred relationship and I get it. Think of this one as the Batman where the wounded boy Bruce never healed and grew up but rather sucked his thumb in a dark corner while the Batman took over. That little f#%ker would treat Alfred, or any guardian, like s#%t. I liked Andy in it. He’s tough enough to put up with the bulls#%t from this thankless little f#%k.

This sorta’ comes to Bruce’s attention when speaking to the Riddler. He’s been appealing to the Batman the whole time because he recognizes the similarities in them and views Bruce Wayne not as a person, but an object of contempt. By taking on the Batman personality Bruce has pretty much done the same.

Bruce Wayne cannot connect and have an actual relationship with anybody as Bruce Wayne. So, Alfred gets s#%t on and the Batman gets some pussy…cat. Bruce Wayne can’t handle the light of day so the Batman comes to life at night. There were no grandiose “I’m Batman” proclamations because this Bruce Wayne is not a smug prick indulging himself. He can't really stand himself so the Batman is practically a different being. I get the title after seeing it.

It was not perfect. I think they could have tightened it up without losing anything. I’d have preferred going all in on the film noir and setting it in the 1940’s for a change. I saw “Nightmare Alley” and thought the Batman should have gone that way. Though, del Toro is too obsessed with lighting and staging and it can overtake a scene if the material isn’t great. It was only ok in the end but looked good.

The Batman movie was entertaining enough but leaned into current issues like so many. Remember when we went to the movies to actually escape all of that s#%t? But, at least they didn’t call it “The Batman Comes Out At Twilight” and cast Kristen Stewart as Cat Woman and Taylor Lautner as Robin.:eek: They would have cleaned up, though.:D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
T

The Batman movie was entertaining enough but leaned into current issues like so many. Remember when we went to the movies to actually escape all of that s#%t? But, at least they didn’t call it “The Batman Comes Out At Twilight” and cast Kristen Stewart as Cat Woman and Taylor Lautner as Robin.:eek: They would have cleaned up, though.:D
That’s Fukkin hilarious! I can see a spoof like that with all of them cast as mentioned. Like a wayans brothers film. “A bat movie”.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sequel looks to be greenlit

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Excellent movie. There was not a lot for me to nitpick about this movie. I throughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I've seen it twice now, once in theatre and once in the home theater room. It was better the second time around, and I gave it a 9/10 the first time. I'd watch it again. DC needs more standalone gritty superhero movies like this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis