The Audio Path In Consumer-Grade Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
And feed forward or not, I have read enough to know now that integrated you have is a real keeper. It could well be among the best integrated ever made for under $5K (today's value). I probably won't trade it for my SC-7 and SM-7 simply because for 2 channel use, I generally prefer the flexibility offered by separate components. That's why I have only 1 integrated amp, so far.

Thank you for that. I knew what I had here and I trust my ears.

The funny thing is that I get hits from both ends. The high-end crowd (dealers et al.) think I'm crazy running my speakers with a "Chevy" (yes, one called it that :rolleyes:) and here on AH I've been called an "audiophool". You can't win. Whatever, who cares- I trust my ears and yes- this X1 sounds special. I wish you could hear it. IMO it sounds better than the TOTL Classe separates I heard my speakers on.

If I trusted strangers from the internet, I'd have you over for a listen.:)

Don't rule it out though. It really is like a power amp with controls. No loss in flexibility or performance to separates and I don't want to get roasted but to my ears it has a different sound signature than the Marantz units from the same era.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for that. I knew what I had here and trust my ears.

The funny thing is that I get hits from both ends. The high-end crowd (dealers et al.) think I'm crazy running my speakers with a "Chevy" (yes, one called it that :rolleyes:) and here on AH I've been called an "audiophool". Whatever, who cares- I trust my ears and yes- this X1 sounds special. I wish you could hear it. IMO it sounds better than the Classe separates I heard my speakers on.

If I trusted strangers from the internet, I'd have you over for a listen.:)

Don't rule it out though. It really is like a power amp with controls. No loss in flexibility or performance to separates.
The funny thing is, ADTG would have told you to drive them with a Denon AVR, then you will say things, then get "attacked".., and be told that he drove his with a 3312, and his 802d2 are hungrier.

No offence, you seem a little sensitive, if you tone down your reaction, focus on separating opinions, hearsay, marketing hypes from facts and verifiable specs then we'll all be happy and have more fun. It's just a hobby right? Oh, I don't think you have been "attacked" at all, just some antagonizing moments, and you might have created some of those moments without realizing it yourself.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
The funny thing is, ADTG would have told you to drive them with a Denon AVR, then you will say things, then get "attacked".., and be told that he drove his with a 3312, and his 802d2 are hungrier.

No offence, you seem a little sensitive, if you tone down your reaction, focus on separating opinions, hearsay, marketing hypes from facts and verifiable specs then we'll all be happy and have more fun. It's just a hobby right? Oh, I don't think you have been "attacked" at all, just some antagonizing moments, and you might have created some of those moments without realizing it yourself.
A little sensitive?? I thought I was being restrained. What if I told YOU throughout this thread that "You have a little issue with comprehension" or "Some of your replies make no sense to the point of babbling" or "Most of what I, or anyone else types just goes completely over your head" or "It's like trying to discuss logic with a religious fanatic" or "Another post that went completely over your head"? Don't you don't think you'd be fed up? Especially since that's just a sampling from one person who has admittedly said that he is not educated enough to partake in the discussion!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Verifiable facts are great, but then if you can verify the next line is usually- well we can't hear it anyway and that's what's important so you have to prove to me that you can hear it. It's a loosing proposition. Believe me, I've been on and supported both sides. Time and time again (not just here) I've seen the objectivists become subjectivists (and vice versa) at the drop of a hat when it suits them. We all approach this hobby in different ways. When I got back into audio (after a hiatus, like many of us) I bought my Denon-3803 based on specs. I thought it was the end all, especially for the price. This was in the early 2000's if I recall. Then as time went on I realized that I was never really satisfied with the way it sounded. Something was missing so I continued to audition and experiment. As many of you are, I'm at a place where I am satisfied with my sound but I remain curious and open minded. If I audition something that strikes me, I will dig deeper. If I hear something that sounds fantastic to me I seek out units that are similar. Hence, my interest in the AHB2.

I wish I could say my Denon sounds as good as my X1 but I can't. I also wish my vintage Yamaha CA-600 (which sounds very nice) would sound as good too, but it doesn't - at least to my ears. Just like no one can tell me that the base Philharmonic AA Monitors (with all due respect to Dennis Murphy- 100% respect) no matter how flat they measure sound as good as your LS-50s.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How come no one jumped all over Rich B's a$$ when in post #266 he implied that the AHB2 sounded different than what he was accustomed to on his Revels? I didn't hear anyone calling him an Audiophool or demanding a double blind test. Strange huh?

To continue with the Seinfeld theme, here's a review of the AHB2 with the Revels.

https://pooraudiophile.com/2015/07/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier-review-the-first-commercial-power-amp-with-thx-aaa-technology.html
Please post the referenced posts naming you audiophool or demanding a dbt. Strange?

Rich B is kinda weird IMHO when it comes to amplification so I wouldn't react to anything he posted any more but I probably called him an audiophool somewhere along the line. You I probably won't bother commenting much on as to what you extract out of the electronics either now that I've seen the extended discussion in this thread. You want to spend your time listening to electronics' differences in gain go for it, a waste of time IME. My .02 YMMV etc....

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Please post the referenced posts naming you audiophool or demanding a dbt. Strange?

Rich B is kinda weird IMHO when it comes to amplification so I wouldn't react to anything he posted any more but I probably called him an audiophool somewhere along the line. You I probably won't bother commenting much on as to what you extract out of the electronics either now that I've seen the extended discussion in this thread. You want to spend your time listening to electronics' differences in gain go for it, a waste of time IME. My .02 YMMV etc....
Easy, just read Pogre's posts in this thread. He mentions both directly. Or you can peruse the thread again, it's all there from others in basic form.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
And another thread has run its useful course... OP requested to just delete it outright, but since there's some positive discourse, I've cleaned up the end a bit and am leaving it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis