The Android Automation Project

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
So several months back I decided that I was tired of having multiple remotes sitting around and wanted to centralize my control scheme. I started researching many, many different solutions. ADK Highlander and jostenmeat have been helpful in pointing me toward some of the offerings from URC. But these solutions are very costly and I just wasn't willing to spend $1k+ and still not have 2 way controls for some of my stuff. I also HATE IR, so I wanted to get away from this completely.

So I started looking around at other options and they are few and far between.....and it dawned on me that I must create my own Frankenstein. :)

Being very familiar with Android and fairly active in the Android modding community over the last 2 years I found that it would be the perfect platform for such a venture. I plan on making a simple front end (or adding buttons to XBMC remote) that just has source selection similar to what Log!tech offers with their "watch" buttons. My plan is to keep it as simple and clean as possible, I can always break out the OEM remotes if I need to configure something more complex.

The Hardware

I will be able to control everything with either my wife's or my Android phone. However this is not idea if others want to use the system, so the primary control will be either an Android Tablet or a Nook Color, I'm heavily favoring the Nook Color right now for cost and functionality purposes. The Nook Color will be running Cyanogen's Cyanogenmod rom and will be rooted so I have access to do whatever I want with the system.

Nook Color $250.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp?r=1&cm_mmc=Google Product Search-_-Q000000630-_-Test NOOK-_-9781400532650

This is what the XBMC remote front end looks like on the Nook Color.

But how will you control an IR device from a phone or tablet you ask? One of these little beauties. I plan on getting two of these, one for the bedroom and one for the living room. They are around $100 each and should serve my purposes perfectly as it will plug into the backbone of my internal network which is tied to my WIFI which is tied to my phones/Nook Color. They also have a POE model if you are in a tricky placement scenario which I am not.

http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2irspecs/

2 Custom built HTPC's. Yes I decided to move from my beloved Pocorn Hour devices back once again to HTPC's for my main source. The biggest reason is that HD Audio support is finally maturing and they ironed out some of the niggling thinks like DX support and flash stuff. The HTPC's are nothing too crazy, one is an overclocked C2D E6320@3Ghz with 2 9600GT's for the video (soon to be replaced by a single ATI HD5850) and 4GB of memory. I do some gaming on this machine so I do need a pretty capable video card. The bedroom system will consist of a dual core AMD machine with an HD4550 video card.

The Software
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for the OS

XBMC for the media center front end.

XBMC Remote for Android for the remote control application. This application has 2 way control functionality and fully supports cover art and rich content on the phone. You can browse the library on the phone and start/queue content or browse to it on the on screen GUI with the remote app.
http://xbmc.org/freezy3k/2010/07/13/official-xbmc-remote-for-android/

WoL - I plan on making a little script that uses the WoL feature of the PC's to turn them on as I want to completely eliminate any IR usage from my system whenever possible.

So my "to buy" list consists of a Nook Color, and 2 IP to IR modules. For under $500 total investment I should have amazing controls that will trounce anything from Crestron, URC, Logipoop, and any other solution that I have seen. Obviously doesn't have the complexity that some of the a fore mentioned companies can wield but the end user usability and overall look (sexiness) is what I'm going for.

I hope to get this project going in full swing in the next few weeks and have major progress withing the next few months.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice. I'm interested to watch this progress. Cool idea and it seems logical. I am a bit bummed you are leaving the popcornhour behind. You are my tech support so maybe you should keep one around just in case Warp and I need help.;):D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless you're krzywica or BoredSysAdmin I'd strongly suggest to wait till native ROM will be available for Nook Color. CyanogenMod should make one soon.
While Auto-Nooter is easy to do, the result isn't 100% smooth and easy to use. (Settings/Back button etc..)

I'm still not fully convinced regarding stand-up/sleep and power on on htpc - It's never fully 100% smooth ie: sleep the pc while you in middle of movie, after wake-up some functionality of app is usually hindered.
For power issues alone i'm considering hardware solution..

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Nice. I'm interested to watch this progress. Cool idea and it seems logical. I am a bit bummed you are leaving the popcornhour behind. You are my tech support so maybe you should keep one around just in case Warp and I need help.;):D
I will still be here and my PCH knowledge isn't going anywhere. :)
Unless you're krzywica or BoredSysAdmin I'd strongly suggest to wait till native ROM will be available for Nook Color. CyanogenMod should make one soon.
While Auto-Nooter is easy to do, the result isn't 100% smooth and easy to use. (Settings/Back button etc..)

I'm still not fully convinced regarding stand-up/sleep and power on on htpc - It's never fully 100% smooth ie: sleep the pc while you in middle of movie, after wake-up some functionality of app is usually hindered.
For power issues alone i'm considering hardware solution..
I have never, and will never use sleep mode for any system that I use. It has NEVER worked 100% properly on any OS I have ever seen. If you are too impatient to wait 30-45 seconds for your PC to boot then you need to have another drink! I have been using WOL for a LONG time and it works flawlessly. I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as any issues that this process would have?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are too impatient to wait 30-45 seconds for your PC to boot then you need to have another drink!
It doesn't help if my drink of choice is coffee :D

I have been using WOL for a LONG time and it works flawlessly. I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as any issues that this process would have?
ATOM Box, win7, Boxee Box software. After stand-by-> wake up I loose all cifs connections and have to restart the app :(

I use usb MCE IR receiver and power on wakes it up from standby, no need for wol.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It doesn't help if my drink of choice is coffee :D

ATOM Box, win7, Boxee Box software. After stand-by-> wake up I loose all cifs connections and have to restart the app :(

I use usb MCE IR receiver and power on wakes it up from standby, no need for wol.
Again, I want to completely eliminate IR from the signal path. I HATE IR and its a useless pile of crap ESPECIALLY when you are trying to do automation and relying on the command sequence to get to the device. I'm trying to create a truly bullet proof elegant solution here....not re-hash the crappy MCE remotes that have stayed the same for the last 10 years. :)
LAME !!!!!

You should buy an I-tampon to do this....

:D
Someone started early. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, I want to completely eliminate IR from the signal path. I HATE IR and its a useless pile of crap ESPECIALLY when you are trying to do automation and relying on the command sequence to get to the device. I'm trying to create a truly bullet proof elegant solution here....not re-hash the crappy MCE remotes that have stayed the same for the last 10 years.
I see. There are WoL apps for android, I wonder if anyone would add this feat into XBMC app itself

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I see. There are WoL apps for android, I wonder if anyone would add this feat into XBMC app itself
Unlikely.....XBMC remote is awesome because its so simple and easy to use.

Keep in mind I am going to either build an app that centralizes my control features, or modify the existing XBMC Remote app to suit my needs. This will be VERY custom and the goal is to not be fumbling through several apps just to get the PC on, A/V components powered on, A/V components sources selected properly, and have the XBMC remote at your fingertips automatically once the power on time period is reached (that I would define). Much like how Crestron programming works.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
This is my last update for this thread unless one of the mods changes the editing policy for these type of build/DIY project threads.

Ordered my GC IP2IR unit today and will start working on the code as soon as I get the device.

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Why so complex ;)

I just installed XBMC software to my new Lenovo Q150 and use my HTC EVO as a remote (sometimes) and just installed the XBMC software to control it all. :)

-End-

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Why so complex ;)

I just installed XBMC software to my new Lenovo Q150 and use my HTC EVO as a remote (sometimes) and just installed the XBMC software to control it all. :)

-End-
Wow really? Read the damn build plan. Of course im using xbmc remote with my droid 2 and my wifes htc eris. But xbmc remote can't control other devices, hence the IP2IR device. It will translate commands sent from the Android device over wifi to the end point devices like a receiver or tv, ect....

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Wow really? Read the damn build plan. Of course im using xbmc remote with my droid 2 and my wifes htc eris. But xbmc remote can't control other devices, hence the IP2IR device. It will translate commands sent from the Android device over wifi to the end point devices like a receiver or tv, ect....
Also use remote droid (free app), but I see that others want to see the cute pictures on their droid screen. Neato I guess.... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis