Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Haven't been here in awhile. Thought I'd show you what I've been up to.

They're tham15 15" tapped horns. I sold off my old PA rig that was two 2x18 reflex bins and two 12" +1" CD tops. I was pretty much sold on the tham15 after I heard the one my buddy built. He had it loaded with a stepdown baffle and a 12". I tossed in a Dayton PA380 and was shocked by the performance and sound of the tham15.

It's a very musical sub and you can cross it quite high around 160hz but it has a huge dip at 170. I have a high pass on them at 38hz and they seem to do great with that.

I have to say this is the best sounding sub I've heard myself and I've heard a ton of PA subs. Night and day compared to my two selenium loaded 18" reflex bins. I don't have any measurement plots yet but I will post some when I get the chance to test them out. They should have their first hired run sometime in Feb.

The tops are a BFM design, the omnitop 12. However against his advice I put a 60x90 degree HF horn right smack in the center of the horn. I tried the piezo array in the plans but that just sounds awful as I expected. They take a bit of EQ'ing to get right and I'm really not all that satisfied with them.

I was skeptical going into the project. There's no way a horn that short could load the 12" down to even 100hz to meet the tham15. It loses horn loading at about 300hz.

I'm currently working on a prototype synergy horn, basically as close as I can get to the SH 50. There's a lot of documentation and DIY attempts on this horn and drivers are readily available. So far I have a basic MDF prototype made loading four 6" Pyle sealed woofers as other DIY'ers have had great success with this woofer and were pretty sure it's what is used in some of the danley horns. The HF driver is a Selenium D2500. I'm still fiddling with the xover point and delay but these things really do sound great.

The only challenge left is to implement the 2x12" woofers into the design. There was already pretty good documentation on the port depth and location in relation to the apex of the horn, something along the lines of 1/4 the wavelength of the xover point in reference to the horn apex. This makes sense for the mid woofer because that puts the port holes 3" from the apex. However with the 12" they will be playing much lower and 1/4 wavelength of the frequencies it will be producing are bigger than the cabinet in some cases. Challenge accepted.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
They look pretty good. The pics aren't too big, but it would be nice if we had the auto-resizing thingy here on the forums.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis