Testing Possible Dead Subwoofer

S

Schkotty

Audiophyte
I have a Klipsch Rebel KSS-3 set of speakers (2 front and 1 active subwoofer). These are probably 10 - 15 years old and have worked well until sometime recently.

I purchased a new receiver (Sony STR-DH540) as my old one died. It's been a while since I have watched a movie, so am wondering if the sub has been dead for a little while.

After getting everything hooked up and running the auto-config on the new receiver, everything worked except the subwoofer has no sound. This includes 2 rear surround and 1 center speaker in addition to the speakers mentioned above.

I had to manually tell the receiver that I had a subwoofer as it didn't detect it. The subwoofer is set to +10 dB on the receiver.

The subwoofer has an auto-on feature that I can't bypass but the light is sometimes coming on. I've also tried adjusting the gain level on the subwoofer and turned the lowpass adjustment up to its highest frequency.

As another test, I hooked my iphone up to it via an RCA cable and still get no sound.

I am thinking the subwoofer is dead. Do you suggest any other tests to verify that?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It sounds like it is dead. You should get sound from a direct connection if playing music that has bass below the crossover frequency. So if your iPhone connection works with a line level input on the receiver, you can be pretty sure that your subwoofer is at fault. Most likely, it is the amplifier that is dead, and not the actual woofer itself. (This guess is based upon experience and knowing that actual speakers tend to be the most reliable pieces of equipment one has. This is also reflected in many subwoofer warranties, where the amplifier is warranted for a shorter time than the actual woofer. Interestingly, subwoofer amplifiers tend to be less reliable than separate amplifiers, which is either explained by them vibrating from the woofer, or [most likely] because companies go cheap on built-in amplifiers.)

If you are "handy," you can test that by removing the amplifier and disconnecting the woofer from it and then hook up the speaker outputs of your receiver to the woofer and play some music. If you get sound that way, you will know that the woofer itself works. You can then consider whether you want to replace the amplifier, have it fixed, or just buy a totally new subwoofer (which obviously could be done without any further testing).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

When you directly connected your iPhone to the sub, did the LED on the sub turn on?

S

Schkotty

Audiophyte
The light on the sub would sometimes turn on, but not in a consistent way.

I ended up buying a new sub and all is well now. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis