M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I am going to use a Leviton QuickPort wall plate with a Cat5e jack to change the current phone jack into a network jack. I went ahead and bought a 110 punchdown tool to make it easier, but it is the non impact type. I now see that the more expensive models can be set to low impact or high impact and Leviton recommends using the low impact setting.

For those of you who have done this, do you think it is necessary to go get the tool with adjustable impact settings or would the non impact version work fine considering it won't take much force to seat the wires into the contacts anyway?

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
I ran ethernet throught my new home and used the same ports as you. The ports come with a cheap tool that is probably usuable if you're only doing a couple. I had to terminate about 40, though. Luckily, my bro is in IT, and gave me a punch down tool, of the adjustable type. I used the low setting. It was very hard to punch down on the high setting. Also, it has a reversible tip. I didn't realize until I had done 2/3 of the ports that the end with the longer side that is pointed will also trim the excess wire after it is punched down. This yielded a much cleaner install. Prior to that I was using scissors, and still had ~2-3 mm of wire proutiding out the side. But as it is in the wall, no matter.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It was harder to use the high impact setting? I figured high impact would punch down with more force and thus be easier to use, but maybe use too much force and possibly damage the connector.

I decided to buy a punchdown tool precisely for that cutting tip to hopefully do a clean punch and cut. I'm just second guessing myself now because I bought the non impact (ie. cheaper) version because I only have to do a few jacks. I'm sure it will be easier than using the little plastic tool that is included so maybe it wasn't a total waste of money.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
I found my punch down tool AFTER completing all the networking and phone lines :( Used the cheap tool for a few, then used a small screwdriver. It was tedious work, but it worked.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Fwiw...

...the impact settings are for different gauge wiring...the non-loaded tools are OK for use by a hobbyist, however it gets old when you do it for a living.

jimHJJ(...talk to me after a hundred or so...)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I did about 20 in my home using a non-impact (re: cheap) style. All the wires just needed to be pressed into place and once they were there I used a sharp knife to trim all excess wire off.

Slow going, a total pain, but I don't do that for a living so once it was done, it was done. Zero failures on any of the jacks makes me think that there is no problem at all doing it this way and that while a nice tool is always pleasant to own, sometimes it is just a waste of money.

I won't be buying a impact punch down tool anytime soon.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to do it tonight. I'm finally free of work and plan to get the network setup over the holiday break.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis