Tell me about your cylinder!

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
So for those of you that have an SVS Cylinder sub how do you like them?

I've been sitting on the fence for a sub upgrade for a while now and I like the smaller footprint of the cylinders. This is mainly for HT but will get used for some music as well.

So the big question is, what did you have before and what differences did you notice (positive or negative) when you went to the SVS cylinder?

Steve

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
One thing I'll note is that my PC12-NSD is fairly light, which caused an issue. I had it on a tile floor (before I redid my basement) and it would dance around. An isolation pad fixed the issue.

Other than that, in day to day listening I didn't notice any special sonic signature attributable to the cylinder versus the PB10-NSD that I had before.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I had a Sony 12" sub that I found on sale at Best Buy for $100 or so. It worked, that's about all I can say about it.

I have the PC12-NSD that I got about 3yrs ago. I really like it. It does stick out a bit decor wise. It sounds good though and fills about 1300sq ft of open floor plan decently enough, at least compared to what I had before. It's not bone rattling, but I imagine that's mainly due to the sheer volume of air it has to move given our floor plan (also have 9ft ceilings).

The sub is better for movies imo, but it's great for music too.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Oh dear, now that I know we're measuring I better change my order to the PC-13's!

I've heard nothing but good things about the cylinders, and have ordered two PC-12's, but delayed the shipping for another couple weeks.

Also, they are $100 off right now. Ordering two gets an additional 5%.

Sorry, no experience of my own yet, but I am quite confident in my purchase.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
You're a guy, right?

NTTAWWT:D
Thought that title would get a response. :)

I had thought it would be Adam bragging about his cylinder "Plus"! :eek:

Steve

Edit: Ahhh that's why, Adam is offline! Figures ... the two times a year he goes offline and I hit one of them with a new thread expecting a response from him.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The cylinders are awesome, the boxes are awesome, svs subs are just plain awesome in general. As the owner of a PB13-Ultra, and a couple cylinder subs, I would reccomend going with the cylinders over the boxes, just because the cylinders are so much easier to move around.

B

BM1

Audioholic Intern
I had a PC12-NSD and did not like it one bit. I returned it very shortly after listening to it. It lacked punch and extension compared to my ported box subs.

Room acoustics and placement play a big part, so I'm sure they work great for some people. They just didn't for my particular arrangment.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
So for those of you that have an SVS Cylinder sub how do you like them?

I've been sitting on the fence for a sub upgrade for a while now and I like the smaller footprint of the cylinders. This is mainly for HT but will get used for some music as well.

So the big question is, what did you have before and what differences did you notice (positive or negative) when you went to the SVS cylinder?

Steve
I like my SVS cylinders. I've though about upgrading to different subs but I think I might stay with SVS and cylinders. I had the 25-31pci's since 2007 or 2008 can't remember and have put them through hell and they just keep on going and sounds good too.

I don't think there is any subs out there that take up so little space and perform like the SVS Cylinders.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Steve - your timing actually isn't bad at all. I just got from being gone all week. :) Thing is, I'm kinda wiped out right now...but I'll say this for now - I love my PC13-Ultra. Smaller footprint and lighter weight than the PB13-Ultra, and (from what I've read) very similar performance. It's a great sub. I'll try to expand on that later.

Now that I'm back home, I hope to spend most of the weekend comparing the SB13-Ultra to the PC13. You'll get to see what I think in my review next Wednesday. :)

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Hi, Steve - your timing actually isn't bad at all. I just got from being gone all week. :) Thing is, I'm kinda wiped out right now...but I'll say this for now - I love my PC13-Ultra. Smaller footprint and lighter weight than the PB13-Ultra, and (from what I've read) very similar performance. It's a great sub. I'll try to expand on that later.

Now that I'm back home, I hope to spend most of the weekend comparing the SB13-Ultra to the PC13. You'll get to see what I think in my review next Wednesday. :)
Wow, you've got both 13's ... awesome! I'm definitely looking forward to your review. I'd also like to know how the PC13 compared against any previous subs you've owned.

Steve

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Does SVS make sealed cylinders?
Will there be an SC13-Ultra?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My previous, and only other, sub was a B&W ASW1000. The PC13, to put it mildly, crushed it. It did cost twice as much, though.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
I recently purchased the PC12 NSD and it has proved to be an excellent addition to the collection. I feel that it's good for both music and movies (although I think it better performs as a home theater/movie sub). I run it in tandem with the Hsu and that's where the limitations arise. In some rare instances of playing movie material below 20hz, I get port noise whereas the Hsu is still kicking with no issues whatsoever.

All in all, it's a great subwoofer.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
My previous, and only other, sub was a B&W ASW1000. The PC13, to put it mildly, crushed it. It did cost twice as much, though.
I'm just trying to get a feeling for what I'd get for the upgrade to a PC12/13. I currently have a Velo DPS12 and I'm pretty happy with it for HT. We watched Hunger Games last night, which has some good LFE parts, and I wondered how much better it would be with a bigger sub. The Velo has more than enough output at about 28 Hz and up to shake/rattle anything loose so I guess the only benefit would be in the lower frequencies. So how much does one gain (or lose by not having) in the HT experience by having output in the 18-28 Hz range for most movies?

Steve

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Steve. That's a great question. I went with the PC13 because I wanted subsonic bass and was fortunately in a position that I could afford it. I knew if I went with a lower sub, I'd always wonder. I honestly don't know if the added enjoyment was from lower frequencies or just better output in the mid-bass, but I had both subs calibrated and level set, so I don't think it was simply raw volume that made the SVS sound better. The difference in watching some movies was staggering, while in others it wasn't. I don't know if I'll be able to get as much done with the PC13/SB13 comparison as I want, but I'm going to try to get something for Wednesday.

Here is a thread that contains lists of some movies with waterfall charts and/or notes about the frequency of the bass.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I'm sure it's not an easy question to answer and highly subjective to our own preferences of what LFE should "feel" like. I'm also unclear on what "masking effects" occur (if any) in the low Hz ranges. Does one really notice a difference between a 30Hz thump vs a 22+30Hz thump?

Steve

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I can't remember - have you measured the response of your sub/system (i.e. SPL as a function of frequency)?

C

canelli

Audioholic
I tried the PC12-NSD for a few weeks. The cylinder made it much easier to place and move around. It did stand out from the decor and my wife wasn't very found of the look.

Overall the SVS sub was fun and I enjoyed it. It did sound a tad different from my JL sub, but I didn't get the chance to do an A/B comparison.

The sub was in a 18x14 room and did a fantastic job of filling every inch with deep bass.

SVS made audition their subs extremely easy with no pressure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis