Television as we know it is about to change!!

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
By law, full-power television stations nationwide must stop using the old method of transmitting TV signals known as analog and begin broadcasting exclusively in a digital format on February 17, 2009. Digital television (DTV) is an innovative type of broadcasting technology that will give you crystal-clear pictures and sound, and more programming choices than ever before.

Check out the site for more info:

Countdown is at 246 days and 10+ hours!!!

http://www.dtvanswers.com/

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I hope this isnt news to anyone here..........with all the info on the net and the national media blitz it would be scary to think its a new story. Order your converter coupons ASAP, it takes about 8 weeks to arrive and even if you dont think you need one I would advise folks to have one just in case of a unseen emergency that could arrise in the scary future.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
8-9 months? This has been known for at least 7-8 years. It was originally supposed to take effect in 2006.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I'm still wondering how the cable companies will handle this. I've tried their "tech support" and it was like talking to the living dead. At present, an analog signal comes from the cable and either directly into an NTSC tuner or a box for "digital" cable. If a TV has a QAM tuner built in will it be able to work without a box?

Mort (who may be aksing the question incorrectly)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought it was a requirement for everyone on this forum to have at least one HDTV?:D

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I'm still wondering how the cable companies will handle this. I've tried their "tech support" and it was like talking to the living dead. At present, an analog signal comes from the cable and either directly into an NTSC tuner or a box for "digital" cable. If a TV has a QAM tuner built in will it be able to work without a box?

Mort (who may be aksing the question incorrectly)
The cable companies have already handled this, its an analog signal feed that doesnt require the use of freqencies the Gov wants back for other use. There will be no change for those who have basic cable when the transition occurs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Moreso, I believe the cable companies are up in arms because they've been told (I believe) that they can't dump their analog channels when the transition occurs.

I believe the government is saying: "Hey, 100 million TVs out there are connected directly to YOUR cable lineup. 10% or so don't use cable boxes. You can't use this as an excuse to RENT them cable boxes when they are already paying for your cable service."

So, while cable companies are hoping for a new way to charge more customers, it looks like they won't be able to.

At least, that's what I've heard...

Here's the link to the proposal...
http://dtvfacts.com/latest/410/cable-local-stations/

And it does look like it is official with some ammendments for small cable companies...
http://dtvfacts.com/latest/527/dtv-small-cable/

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I think I get it. The incoming signal will likely remain the same so that a TV with an NTSC tuner will work as is with cable. When I replace the bedroom tube this year I guess I'll find out if the QAM tuner in a modern set will pick up the digital channels above 90 (or so) or if they're scrambled so that you have to rent the box. I guess I'll find out. Not williing to have a stupid box for a system that's used sparingly.

Mort

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Digital TV transmission.

The change to digital transmission only effects people who are picking up the Over the Air signal with an antenna. These users need a TV that includes an ATSC (digital) tuner or one of the free converter boxes.

There are no issues for current cable and satellite subscribers. However, there are a lot of CE companies who you to buy a new TV or other new electronics.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
You watch, it's gonna be like Y2K all over again. People stocking up on water, and batteries, and flashlights.......and plasmas and lcd's. Scary stuff. ;)

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
The convertor boxes aren't exactly "free". You can get two $20 coupons for them. Most of the boxes I've seen cost ~$60. You'll still have to pay taxes on the product...

If you're looking for one of the boxes, the sooner the better. I'd bet that the government runs out of funding for those coupons pretty fast once next year rolls around and people do freak out over the OTA signal thing.

-pat

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
8-9 months? This has been known for at least 7-8 years. It was originally supposed to take effect in 2006.
I was referring to the last thread I could recall on this forum regarding this topic and the now confirmed date next year. Perhaps this was discussed here previously, but it would have been before I came around. ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The convertor boxes aren't exactly "free". You can get two $20 coupons for them.
Pat, unless they've changed it, the coupons are $40/each (and you can get two of those). You can only apply one coupon per box. Wal-Mart was selling them for for about $50. So, $10+tax (even tax on $50) isn't too bad for a little slice of digital nirvana. :)

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Pat, unless they've changed it, the coupons are $40/each (and you can get two of those). You can only apply one coupon per box. Wal-Mart was selling them for for about $50. So, $10+tax (even tax on $50) isn't too bad for a little slice of digital nirvana. :)
You're right. I stand corrected. It's unfortunate that most people who get these boxes won't ever need them. If you have cable, there's no real need for the converter box. The cable companies will keep broadcasting the analog signal over the cable system. It just won't be broadcast over-the-air.

-pat

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
I have two old fashion TVs (in my spare bedrooms) who get their signals from antennas. I received my $40 coupons last month. I did some research and found good reviews for the Zenith DTT900 model digital to analog converter that Circuit City sells ($60 per box). So far I have been very impressed with their performance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis