tekton - the next big thing?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to Audioholics. What's your job title over at Tekton?
LOL, hes in New England far from tekton... well not walking distance anyway...

I know how he feels though, I would also invite anyone over to hear my lores that are non believers... A few of the tekton line are really nice {all I have heard anyway}... My father in law bought a set of the 81 bookshelfs and is in love with them, this is coming from someone who in my oppinion is super audio picky, but he heard my lores and wanted to try something from the company, he powers them with a tripath and he loves them... I believe his neighbors bought a set of mlores after hearing his bookshelfs, they havent come yet, I think he has a week or so left on the wait...
Don't shut these speakers down with out hearing them... they are something special...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As an actual owner maybe you can provide some measurements of your speakers to finally give some objective data to the debate. All these subjective reviews are, IMO useless without some objective data to compare it to. Since you are one of the few owners to be hanging around, you're in a prime position to back up your claims with hard evidence. I know I'd be interested in seeing those graphs :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
As an actual owner maybe you can provide some measurements of your speakers to finally give some objective data to the debate. All these subjective reviews are, IMO useless without some objective data to compare it to. Since you are one of the few owners to be hanging around, you're in a prime position to back up your claims with hard evidence. I know I'd be interested in seeing those graphs :D
I have no idea how to make a graph or what equipment I would need, is it easy?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's really not that bad, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

You can get a measurement system like the one from dayton or XTZ, they are more expensive than the option listed below, but easier to use.

Then there is REW which is free software and all you need is a mic or mic+soundcard. Somewhat more complicated to use IMO, but with a great support community over on home theater shack that will answer all your questions and tell you what you need in terms of soundcards and mics.

Personally I use REW with a calibrated behringer ECM8000 mic and my new soundcard should be to me by tuesday (Avid fast track M600). I had a fast track pro before, but it was buggy and wouldn't calibrate on REW so back it went. I definitely did not go the least expensive route, but I had other reasons as well (the fast track M600 can instantly switch between two sets of speakers). I still may buy the XTZ system anyways just so I can compare them and have a portable system, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with REW.

I think that anyone who is serious about this hobby should have some sort of measurement system because you really get a wealth of data and information back from it.

Anywho, if you should decide to give it a go there are a ton of guys on here and HTS who can help you get it all set up and what positions to have the mic at etc etc.

Cheers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it is more difficult to compete with other speaker companies if you do not have more measurements of your speakers either from 3rd party or in-house. And this goes with any company including JTR, Seaton, not just Tekton.

But since they seem to be doing okay financially, I guess they have absolutely no motivation to change?

And some of us also have absolutely no motivation to recommend their speakers? :D

As a speaker designer/builder/manufacturer, what is the disadvantage of providing measurements of your own speakers?

I assume in order to design/build speakers, these manufacturers (Seaton, JTR, Tekton, etc.) must have measured their speakers already? Surely they can't just blindly put drivers, crossovers, & cabinets together without some kind of measurements, right? :eek:

So if they have already measured their speakers, what is the harm in showing people those measurements?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that anyone who is serious about this hobby should have some sort of measurement system because you really get a wealth of data and information back from it.
The only thing I'm serious about with my gears is keeping my in-laws' damn dirty hands off my speakers and electronics. :eek: :D

I may have one or two speakers laying around, but I guess I don't consider myself all that "serious". :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The only thing I'm serious about with my gears is keeping my in-laws' damn dirty hands off my speakers and electronics. :eek: :D
Fortunately my in-laws are rather indifferent to my speakers.

My son OTOH seems enamored with attacking my new subwoofer, dumping toys into the gap between the grill and the front baffle, etc... Goodbye resale value.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Fortunately my in-laws are rather indifferent to my speakers.

My son OTOH seems enamored with attacking my new subwoofer, dumping toys into the gap between the grill and the front baffle, etc... Goodbye resale value.
No, Hello really tight highchair, lol... My boys were 2 years apart and just as one started to calm down with the destructive phase the other was getting into it, we went through 4 puppies and a handfull of kittens in 5 years... thats a joke, it was only 2 puppies and 1 only lost a tail but the door had a really strong automatic closer on it...

thats another joke...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

I may have one or two speakers laying around, but I guess I don't consider myself all that "serious". :D
I don't think anyone would consider the self proclaimed "collector" serious :p:D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Well I don't collect stamps but the muscle car collecting is getting pretty expense within the last 9 months. ;)
Same here, I have to make choices and speakers come in fourth to my safe full of guns and my garages full of motorcycles and hotrods..

I am on the verge of buying a 1970 Superbee convertible, just working out the kinks in the transaction {buyer is at 98 Im thinking 88K}, but that will be my new baby soon enough....

Although my current baby is my 39 ford, {full rod, original build was 85K, I scored the car for well under that and added a FI crate engine and 200r4 gnx tranny}

Also I just bought a Berretta UNICO {pick it up tomorrow}, so although I like speakers my real passions are motorcycles hotrods and guns... Its winter so I wont mention the motorcyles, although today I may start winterizing them...

I couldnt imagine buying a $100K set of speakers, but Im a couple of days from spending that on a 40 year old car.... I can not imagine $10K on a speaker- The 113" S&S motor for my black chopper was only $7K and that is an engine... If Im spending that kind of money it better be able to kill a deer, blow sideways, or do a wheelie {I couldnt wheelie my chopper, its over 9ft long and has a 330mm rear tire, lol...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
It's surely tempting. As it is, I'm getting better in the art of distraction. If I see him toddling towards the sub, a well aimed sock usually does the trick. If I wanted to be cruel, I could use some of these:

RedHead® Lifetime Guarantee All-Purpose Socks for Men - 1 Pair | Bass Pro Shops

:D
LOL with a bar of roll of quarters inside them, well that may be a littel much maybe just a bar of soap :D

I found the waterbottle works well, just spray them in the face and say "NO" "HOT" and they will stay away from the audio equipment... But may need expensive therapy later in life...

Luckily my kids never did much damage when they were younger, although now I cath them using my stuff, that may be worse, finding a Snap-on ratchet and socket set that cost me around $700 in the grass covred in rust, really sucks...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I don't collect stamps but the muscle car collecting is getting pretty expense within the last 9 months. ;)
Same here, I have to make choices and speakers come in fourth to my safe full of guns and my garages full of motorcycles and hotrods..

I am on the verge of buying a 1970 Superbee convertible, just working out the kinks in the transaction {buyer is at 98 Im thinking 88K}, but that will be my new baby soon enough....

Although my current baby is my 39 ford, {full rod, original build was 85K, I scored the car for well under that and added a FI crate engine and 200r4 gnx tranny}

Also I just bought a Berretta UNICO {pick it up tomorrow}, so although I like speakers my real passions are motorcycles hotrods and guns... Its winter so I wont mention the motorcyles, although today I may start winterizing them...

I couldnt imagine buying a $100K set of speakers, but Im a couple of days from spending that on a 40 year old car.... I can not imagine $10K on a speaker- The 113" S&S motor for my black chopper was only $7K and that is an engine... If Im spending that kind of money it better be able to kill a deer, blow sideways, or do a wheelie {I couldnt wheelie my chopper, its over 9ft long and has a 330mm rear tire, lol...
Yes, but do they sound good next to each other? Make sure you measure your garage. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, but do they sound good next to each other? Make sure you measure your garage. :D
Yeah, I have to say they do, you can be def and still enjoy a hot rod... Nothing like something made over 70 years ago and still all metal with a touch of new technology and style fuel injection, a/c, automatic, leather interior, disc brakes, shaved door handles frenched lic plate, ect, ect, ect, ect.... Or having one of the only convertible 440 six pack convertibles left in existence... Or having a rifle capable of letting you knock down pie plates at over 1000 yards {just too bad I'm only good for around 700:( }...

I think speakers are one of them things you can get away with spending a lot less on and getting such a close match to something that costs 10 times more {almost like vanity comes into play with the expensive systems:)}, but with stuff like guns, If I buy a $100 rifle scope it is NOTHING like my $2000 nightforce, or if I buy a mossy 12 ga for $400, it wouldnt have a shot of hanging with my $4000 Citori.. But with speakers my cheap wharfedales sound just as good as most of the higher end stuff I auditioned... I would honestly have to go up to about 5 times the cost to warrant spending any more money, and that difference wouldn't warrant 5 times the cost.. {that probably doesnt make sense...}
But anyway these are hobbies, stuff that helps make life worth living and help us get up and go to work in the morning, I find most of the people on this forum are very similar, we like nice STUFF, I see in the pictures that people post, there are a lot of members here with nice homes, I know I dont have super expensive speakers, but this is mostly because Im cheap :D ...

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
The thread is alive again with some jokes LOL

we all collect one thing or another

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I have to say they do, you can be def and still enjoy a hot rod... Nothing like something made over 70 years ago and still all metal with a touch of new technology and style fuel injection, a/c, automatic, leather interior, disc brakes, shaved door handles frenched lic plate, ect, ect, ect, ect.... Or having one of the only convertible 440 six pack convertibles left in existence... Or having a rifle capable of letting you knock down pie plates at over 1000 yards {just too bad I'm only good for around 700:( }...

I think speakers are one of them things you can get away with spending a lot less on and getting such a close match to something that costs 10 times more {almost like vanity comes into play with the expensive systems:)}, but with stuff like guns, If I buy a $100 rifle scope it is NOTHING like my $2000 nightforce, or if I buy a mossy 12 ga for $400, it wouldnt have a shot of hanging with my $4000 Citori.. But with speakers my cheap wharfedales sound just as good as most of the higher end stuff I auditioned... I would honestly have to go up to about 5 times the cost to warrant spending any more money, and that difference wouldn't warrant 5 times the cost.. {that probably doesnt make sense...}
But anyway these are hobbies, stuff that helps make life worth living and help us get up and go to work in the morning, I find most of the people on this forum are very similar, we like nice STUFF, I see in the pictures that people post, there are a lot of members here with nice homes, I know I dont have super expensive speakers, but this is mostly because Im cheap :D ...
I think you will find another similarity of people on this forum...bang for the buck. Even though some have higher HT budgets than others, most are all about getting the 95% of high end performance for 50% of the price.

And, paying close attention to what money goes where. I recall some posts about how most of us are cheapskates when it comes to looking for free shipping or waiting months for something just because you know a certain electronics company will hold a sale at a certain time of year.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
***If you are like me and want to hear it at it's best buy the capacitor upgrade I have we'll over 5 Years experience with Mundorf capacitors of every model they make in various modification builds,They make every instrument,part of the performance much more real.
Credibility officially lost.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
question and advce

Since I will be holdiong out till next year for my new mains, I am looking for surrounds. i am looking for another pair of monitor audio rs8's, also i have auditioned today Revel Concentra Series F12 3 Way Floor Standing Speaker or PSB Stratus Golldi.

which would you guys go with? The F12 sounded really good today its for $700 i can probably get it for $600, I am in negotians for MArs8 for $650 and the psb i can probably get for $650

also Kef Q500 for $775 which one guys? remeber next year i will get new mains and my other speaker will be used for surrounds. Also if you guys do say the revel ones are theybetter than MARS8's maybe i can use the new ones depending what everyone advises.

thank you

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis