tekton - the next big thing?

I

Impulse

Junior Audioholic
I would just like to say that I once had some speakers that came with my dell pc in 1997..and they didnt sound too bad...

anyways, resume the arguing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PD's are at the bottom of my list...
But you gotta have something that looks big, bad, and imposing? :D

I forgot, are you upgrading (selling) your entire Monitor Audio system to something else?

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
But you gotta have something that looks big, bad, and imposing? :D

I forgot, are you upgrading (selling) your entire Monitor Audio system to something else?
I am looking to get two new mains adding to my current system, i will keep the MA RS8 and get another pair of RS8's for rear surrounds.

Currently haggling a guy right now for his pair of RS8's he has for sale, with those i would have right now a 5.1 system. Then once i get my new mains a 7.1 systemand then down the road a 9.1 :eek::D

That will come when i get a new houes with a huge basement or a home with a hometheatre room already built in.

It slooking thou i might have to hold off on the speaker purchase right now anyhow th ewife is starting to ride me on saving for the new baby lol its funny we have not even started yet lol.

We will see but lots of options out there and who knows I know eric has read this thread as he msged me saying he read all the forums so now it depends on him if he will improve or prove what they can do... or Not!!!

Here is what i am looking at

Revel Utima Salon2
Kef 205/1 - depends how cheapy my hook up can get this for
Klipsch Palladium F38 & F39
Mordaunt Short Performance 6
WHARFEDALE - JADE 7
Paradigm Sig8 or the new line that is coming out. Yep a higher end line suppose to be even better than the sig8
Monitor Audo GX300 & PL300
Aerial Acoustics Model 9 - depends if i can get it local and audition it
Canton Refernce DC2.2 & DC2.3
Jamo R909
Legacy AUdio Focus SE
Pendragons last on the list.

I wont be paying retail it will be dealer cost or just below dealer cost. I did have focal on it but for the speakers mentioned above you would have to agree. B&W is not on it bcuz the only one i would want would be the 800 diamond not the 802D an i cant afford the 800 even with a hook up just out of my league.

This will be my last speaker upgrade so this is it if i want to stay married but which ever one i end up with should be my last ;)

R

ridikas

Banned
THAT'S the list that you have to work with and you're trolling the Pendragons?

This should not even need to be discussed. The Revel Ultima Salon2 will obliterate everything else COMBINED!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
THAT'S the list that you have to work with and you're trolling the Pendragons?

This should not even need to be discussed. The Revel Ultima Salon2 will obliterate everything else COMBINED!
For a change, I don't disagree at all. With a speaker like that at the top of the list, why bother with anything below? If those are what you are interested in and can seriously afford to buy why would you be looking at anything below?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Arent the Revels like $20,000 per pair???? So even dealer cost is going to be $18K... Why are you worried about shipping demo's, if your spending that kind of scratch fly out to a store like Natural sound, call them first and tell them what you want to hear, they will get it shipped in for you to demo, you pick your speakers and the factory ships you a new set that beats you home.....

I know when I bought my Blaser R8 custom {some may know what this is}, I flew out to Arizona held her in my hands and wrote a check, then we took a ride to the carrier and watched my boxed up Blaser leave our hands and it beat me home...
2 years ago I drive to Ohio {9 hrs} picked up my Babe Ruth ball {also bought a thurman ball while I was there, but told my wife I bught it 2 months later $4,000 for a PSA9+ how to you pass that up} and drove home the same day...
So plan a trip and go listen to what you think you will like...

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
Arent the Revels like $20,000 per pair???? So even dealer cost is going to be $18K... Why are you worried about shipping demo's, if your spending that kind of scratch fly out to a store like Natural sound, call them first and tell them what you want to hear, they will get it shipped in for you to demo, you pick your speakers and the factory ships you a new set that beats you home.....

I know when I bought my Blaser R8 custom {some may know what this is}, I flew out to Arizona held her in my hands and wrote a check, then we took a ride to the carrier and watched my boxed up Blaser leave our hands and it beat me home...
2 years ago I drive to Ohio {9 hrs} picked up my Babe Ruth ball {also bought a thurman ball while I was there, but told my wife I bught it 2 months later $4,000 for a PSA9+ how to you pass that up} and drove home the same day...
So plan a trip and go listen to what you think you will like...
I meant studio2 not ultima2 my bad, the reason i was looking at the pendragons was the price point and and again caught up in the reviews, the shear size and loved the look and was wishing that it was true so i can save $$$ and buy other stuff for my system

Actually i save anywhere from 40% to %60 off spekers are marked up alot, I gave an example when i purchased my RS8's retail was $2299 some places sold it for more, i paid i think $1067 i think cant remeber now but it was under $1100 my sub25 retailled over $5000 with tax close to $6000 i paid with the PBK kit I think it was $2200 either a bit less or a bit more cant remember.

The mark up is alot same goes for tv's the dealers have a great discount as well if they sell it to you at their cost they would make no $$$. Since i am not rich i have to save along time to buy anything. In a different forum a guy just purchased floor models fro paradigm the Sig8 and the centre the C5 for $4000:eek: i was like what wow thats a steal and a half. The sig8 sells for $9000 and the C5 sells for $4500 wow is all i have tro say he was there at the right time.

Always shop dealers online quotes and other dealers or people selling them used, you will be surprised what you can get.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think this post got a little crazy here...
I wouldn't say the reviews were not true {I read something about a sponsorship or something but that doesn't mean anything, the relationship could have been built after the review, and even if they had a relationship before, than it is up to you to either trust the reviewer or not based on his past reviews and how accurate his history is...}.

There are a lot of happy tekton customers, infact I have not heard from one person saying they didn't like them after the bought them??? Or even someone who heard them and said they were trash?? And I read in one post they are like white van speakers, lol.. C'mon...

Like I said I cant speak for the other models, But I own the Lores, and I can honestly say, I tried a lot of speakers on my Jolida and these sound the best, I tried speakers costing 3 times the price, and the Lores sound the best... Infact I have never heard a speaker sound as good with live music than these, my new evo-40's that were originally $2000 {i paid much less}, dont play live bands any where near as well as the Lores do.. The jolida doesnt push much power and it will make these speakers scream to uncomfortable levels very easily...
And as far as price, I know you can buy the speakers for $460 {I priced them with the part numbers- 2 tweets 2 drivers $460 total}, I paid $900 for the speakers so that means for $440 {I know he probably gets the speakers cheaper than I can get them} he makes the cabinet, that is very nice, well built, well coated, and clean {no imperfections}, the crossovers, assembles them and boxes them up... To me I feel good about that....

I hate to see one thread try to hurt someones business when very few people heard the product... And the guy answers the phone every time you call so if you have a question about the numbers call him and ask... But reading through this thread I get the feeling some people want to make them look like a scam... That is not the case, the guy has sold 1000's of speakers, and I hear no complaints.... That has to mean something...

If anyone is local to me, pm me, come on over and listen to my set and you will be sold, I don't know why they sound so good, they just do... I dont know about the crossovers or hz ratings but I know mine sound like $2000 speakers..I paid half that for, so Im happy...

If I were unhappy with spending almost $1000 on these, I would say it, I would be the first one to light the torch and get my pitchfork, but the things are beasts...
Listen to Glen Beck, lol {Im not a huge Glen Beck fan, not even a little one, but I found it interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWaUflZt0kc

This guy isn't begging for business, he is not trolling forums trying to sell his stuff, hes just a guy like me and you making a product, I wish I could play them for everyone here because you will be sold with one song... Blue Oyster Cult Live dont fear the reaper, everyone has heard it but everyone I play it for through the jolida and tektons, is in awe.. Im not exaggerating I play that one song, and everyone gets this focusing perplexed look in there face like they are concentrating, then the eyes close and they are impressed... you close your eyes and the speakers are gone, its just a wall of sound floating towards you from all directions...

Anyway I dont want to seem like a "fan boy" but I hate seeing something I own and love get a bad shake with out even getting heard... I had a pair of Klipsch that I tried with my Jolida, and they were $875 each, ABSOLUTE TRASH, so high and bright, and then you wouldnt dare play live tracks through them, the crowds cheers would be poking you in the forehead the entire time... Them speakers should be on the cross here..

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think one thing has been established - the Tekton speakers fit a certain niche

That said they do have some serious design issues keeping them from being something we can conciously "recommend".

Here at audioholics, we're just really critical. We're as critical of the B&W Diamond speakers as we are of Gene's favorite RBH monstrosities as we are of the Tektons. We don't want to deny anyone's subjective experience but we do try to help people get objectively good systems. We would probably not be the people to lead you in the direction of that Jolida amp for example. Fair enough if you like it, but again we get a lot of posters asking for advice and they get all sorts of crazy recommendations elswhere.

As far as the Tekton speakers and their designer, we do wish him the best. But it would be nice if his speakers could excel on a technical level like they seem to impress some people subjectively. And it would be especially nice if he weren't packing snake oil like Mundorf Silver in Oil Capacitors into his products as a claimed "upgrade".

Not trying to deny you your subjective experience or even say these speakers are some unlistenable trash - However the hyperbole associated with these speakers deserves to be addressed. They can't possibly hang with Revel Salons in any parameter except max output. And if max output equates to realism, then there are flat out better speakers with great max output.

As far as Klipsch - it's generally a foregone conclusion that we don't recommend them. Definitley no mystique around them - we know what they're selling and they make no pretense about being world-beaters.

TLS Guy designed his own speakers after basically decades of striving for that goal. He's a bit disheartened when people run around calling just anything a "reference speaker" - his speakers are actually in that rare echelon and took a lot more work to get right than three tweeters and a pair of eminence woofers.

I'm sure the Tektons are pleasant, unoffensive, and efficient/dynamic But the hyperbole has a guy ready to make a blind purchase with HUGE losses if they don't suit him. The measurements don't sure some sure fire bet like for example Philharmonic Audio.

R

ridikas

Banned
I disagree that Klipsch speakers are not recommended around here. I believe that Klipsch makes good to excellent engineered products and is an honest, world class, mass market and commercial loudspeaker manufacturer.

Some of the very best, state of the art movie theaters that I've been to and absolutely loved used Klipsch speakers.

The better designed Klipsch speakers would destroy the Tektons in every imaginable way.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipsch speakers are the boss. They are basically the only high sensitivity speaker that is widely available at stores. I can see why some might be turned off by them, but I have enjoyed them every time I have heard them. I'd love to get a pair of Klipshorns one day, or maybe some Palladiums if I win the lottery.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
all i ever hear are how good the palladiums sound, wonder which one is better the palladium P39F, kef 205/1 or the revel ultra salon2.

The kef 207/2 i have heard i have to say it might have even sounded better than the 800 diamond :eek: wait dont shoot The palladiums are huge too 56 inches

This weekend is the taves audio/video show, iw illbe auditionig some stuff there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
all i ever hear are how good the palladiums sound, wonder which one is better the palladium P39F, kef 205/1 or the revel ultra salon2.

The kef 207/2 i have heard i have to say it might have even sounded better than the 800 diamond :eek: wait dont shoot The palladiums are huge too 56 inches

This weekend is the taves audio/video show, iw illbe auditionig some stuff there.
Saying one sounds better than another is purely subjective and everyone will have a different opinion.

But you can see the difference in objective measurements. The KEF Reference probably has the best overall measurement of the ones you listed, follow by the Salon2, follow by the 800D2, follow by the Palladium.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
\ We would probably not be the people to lead you in the direction of that Jolida amp for example. Fair enough if you like it, but again we get a lot of posters asking for advice and they get all sorts of crazy recommendations elswhere.
I think the fact that the tektons still sound good with the Jolida is a positive, I have tried many speakers with this amp, and nothing was good, the tektons are... As far as the Jolida goes, the price was rite, the service {maryland} was very good, and it works...

Im not crazy about tube systems, but I wanted something a little different and it is that... I first bought a music angel and was going to get hammered shipping it in for a repair {it lasted a 3 months}, what a bad experience that was, it made more sense to sell it broken, and I wasn't impressed with its feeling {although very pretty} anyway, So then I bought a Yaqin, I ran it with a set of Polk Bookshelfs , then tried some Energy towers, then a few borrowed sets of speakers, then some different tubes, then I gave up, sold it on ebay and lost $200, Then I scored the Jolida and I paired it with the Lores for a good match... For the money the Jolida and Tektons are 5 stars.. I know there are tube amps SO MUCH better, but they are also SO MUCH more money...

The past couple days this thread caused me out of curiosity to look up what people are saying about tekton, and this is the only thread I could find speaking negative about them... The entire internet, and this one thread??? Thousands of speakers out there, and one thread full of people that not only don't own a pair but never even heard them, lol.... Weird:confused:

Throw the numbers away and get someone that owns or owned them on here saying they arent what 100% of the other owners are saying they are... Maybe on paper they dont make sence but niether did the V8 engine, and how did that work out... A lot of stuff doesnt make sense how about the nocebo effect and the MAGIC gamma ray telescope proved Einstien wrong about the speed of light???

Last edited:
gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Saying one sounds better than another is purely subjective and everyone will have a different opinion.

But you can see the difference in objective measurements. The KEF Reference probably has the best overall measurement of the ones you listed, follow by the Salon2, follow by the 800D2, follow by the Palladium.
I'm beginning to believe measurements are becoming less and less and important and just sitting back and listening is becoming much more important. As are user/owner reviews and impressions of the product.

Speaker sound is subjective and like you said everyone has a different opinion and taste in loudspeaker sound.

The better measuring loudspeaker isn't always the best sounding loudspeaker. Measurements are objective so if the Kef for example is the best measuring loudspeaker then shouldn't it also be the best sounding speaker? And if its not accepted as the best sounding speaker than doesn't that just prove we put to much faith in measurements and not enough in listening.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm beginning to believe measurements are becoming less and less and important and just sitting back and listening is becoming much more important. As are user/owner reviews and impressions of the product.

Speaker sound is subjective and like you said everyone has a different opinion and taste in loudspeaker sound.

The better measuring loudspeaker isn't always the best sounding loudspeaker. Measurements are objective so if the Kef for example is the best measuring loudspeaker then shouldn't it also be the best sounding speaker? And if its not accepted as the best sounding speaker than doesn't that just prove we put to much faith in measurements and not enough in listening.
Definitely a lot of factors including actual audition, measurement, aesthetic, price, reputation, etc. All of that affects perception and introduce bias.

Knowing the measurements in advance also introduce bias. :D

Yes, Harman International conducted DBT proving that most subjects preferred more accurate speakers. But it does not prove that EVERYONE prefers the more accurate "flat" measuring speakers.

We have to buy speakers that ground good to us. That is the bottom line.

Yes, if folks listen to the Tekton and love the sound quality, they should buy them. I just think they shouldn't be saying these Tekton sound better than B&W Diamond, Revel Ultima, or KEF Reference, etc. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis