Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
Saw your gear on AVS.... The color that you have matches partial blacks well IMO. Looks good.

How do you like your sound coming from the enzo's in movies? Also, what about the bass?
I would say they have been very surprising and one of the best I have had for movies.
They are dynamic and are easier on my ears than some ribbon and magneplanar speakers I have. When the volume goes up they sound great. With maggies and ribbons they tend to make me wince a lot when there is a lot of action, special effects happening.
The bass is great for my room but my room does seem to have a lot of bass. Had some Wilson Benesch ACT speakers that I did take around to quite a few other people's places and they always had quite a bit more bass in my room. The room 8m x 5m, Brick with a tin roof. (That would be 26ft x 16ft for you guys:)
Also have a SVS sealed 13" sub I use in moves.

Also I did read a post about my experience earlier in this thread someone posted about me changing amps, cables over and hearing a big improvement.
Well the Italian amp was cutting out the level channel a bit and is in for warranty repair. Not sure if they may change the sound at all. Could be just cold joints on where the XLR cables plug in.

My room is not the best (might be a little dead) and hope to start eq-ing when finally the XMC-1 is in my hands. Got myself a good mike and will learn REW as well down the track.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-e...

What ribbon speakers have you heard? What mic do you have? Will you be taking some quasi anechoic measurements?

I would say they have been very surprising and one of the best I have had for movies.
They are dynamic and are easier on my ears than some ribbon and magneplanar speakers I have. When the volume goes up they sound great. With maggies and ribbons they tend to make me wince a lot when there is a lot of action, special effects happening.
The bass is great for my room but my room does seem to have a lot of bass. Had some Wilson Benesch ACT speakers that I did take around to quite a few other people's places and they always had quite a bit more bass in my room. The room 8m x 5m, Brick with a tin roof. (That would be 26ft x 16ft for you guys:)
Also have a SVS sealed 13" sub I use in moves.

Also I did read a post about my experience earlier in this thread someone posted about me changing amps, cables over and hearing a big improvement.
Well the Italian amp was cutting out the level channel a bit and is in for warranty repair. Not sure if they may change the sound at all. Could be just cold joints on where the XLR cables plug in.

My room is not the best (might be a little dead) and hope to start eq-ing when finally the XMC-1 is in my hands. Got myself a good mike and will learn REW as well down the track.

R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
What ribbon speakers have you heard? What mic do you have? Will you be taking some quasi anechoic measurements?
Aurum Cantus and some made to order floorstanders with Scanspeak drivers and a fountek ribbon. Also some Adam Tensor Delta bookshelfs.

I brought a calibrated Behringer ecm8000 to use to hopefully get my room in check a little better.
"quasi anechoic measurements?" - will have to read up on what that actually is.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-e...

It basically means doing your measurement sweeps from 1 m away and gating the measurement to negate room effects

Aurum Cantus and some made to order floorstanders with Scanspeak drivers and a fountek ribbon. Also some Adam Tensor Delta bookshelfs.

I brought a calibrated Behringer ecm8000 to use to hopefully get my room in check a little better.
"quasi anechoic measurements?" - will have to read up on what that actually is.

R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
It basically means doing your measurement sweeps from 1 m away and gating the measurement to negate room effects
Thanks, I actually did something similar when I was playing around with my custom made speakers. I was trying to play around a little with the crossovers.
Got some advice also to lay big doonars, fluffy pilows on the ground and above to the side when I measuring them.
Sold the laptop a while ago I used then but may still have some snaps.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As long as you're about 1m away and the measurement is gated correctly the pillows are unnecessary because the gating will close the door before the sound can reflect off of the floor or side walls. I think everyone would be interested in seeing the on and off axis measurements of the enzos if you're got the time and inclination. I know I would.

Thanks, I actually did something similar when I was playing around with my custom made speakers. I was trying to play around a little with the crossovers.
Got some advice also to lay big doonars, fluffy pilows on the ground and above to the side when I measuring them.
Sold the laptop a while ago I used then but may still have some snaps.

R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
I brought a HP Pavilion dm1-4306AU refurbished lappy with Win8. Under $200. Its not very fast. Would that be ok to use REW on?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A pic of the crossover in my Enzo speakers. Seems to be a series crossover?

I think we have mentioned this on here before (I think it was TLS). Those inductors seem to be mis-aligned. Someone else, please chime in here.

Shouldn't those inductors be lined up with the axes at right angle to each other, to avoid flux induction on each other?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think we have mentioned this on here before (I think it was TLS). Those inductors seem to be mis-aligned. Someone else, please chime in here.

Shouldn't those inductors be lined up with the axes at right angle to each other, to avoid flux induction on each other?
It's not ideal but that's acceptable if there's decent distance between them, which I can't really guage without a scale.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Yes. Even at a distance up to 10cm it can have an effect and those appear to be way closer than 10cm.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's not ideal but that's acceptable if there's decent distance between them, which I can't really guage without a scale.
Fair enough, but it's so easy to re-orient them, why would he choose to not do it in the generally accepted manner? At least as an insurance policy.

That is a HUGE RED FLAG to me. Move along.

Edit: Maybe you get them oriented correctly when you get the SIO cap upgrades :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I brought a HP Pavilion dm1-4306AU refurbished lappy with Win8. Under $200. Its not very fast. Would that be ok to use REW on?
Processor wise it should be fine, although you may want to invest in an external sound card. If you don't already have a phantom power supply for the behringer then you have to get one or at least a shure x2u.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that was brought up before. If Eric has so much experience and knowledge, why would he make such a seemingly novice mistake?

Fair enough, but it's so easy to re-orient them, why would he choose to not do it in the generally accepted manner? At least as an insurance policy.

That is a HUGE RED FLAG to me. Move along.

Edit: Maybe you get them oriented correctly when you get the SIO cap upgrades :D

R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
Would it only change the value of the coils and I would think when voicing the speaker it would be adjusted for were they are now.
So if I were to flip them now, would I also be changing the coil values and the how the crossover is voiced?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Would it only change the value of the coils and I would think when voicing the speaker it would be adjusted for were they are now.
So if I were to flip them now, would I also be changing the coil values and the crossover points?
I think that is a question for the designer of the speaker.

But, it should not change the physical values of the inductors (mH or whatever units). It is mutual inductance that is the problem, magnetic flux lines from one inductor "polluting" the inductance of the other.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Like slippery said, you should ask Eric. It really depends on how close they are and how much that distance is causing them to deviate from their measured values, which I'm guessing is what he designed the crossover for (their measured values).

Placement of coils in crossover networks

So if I were to flip them now, would I also be changing the coil values and the how the crossover is voiced?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Like slippery said, you should ask Eric. It really depends on how close they are and how much that distance is causing them to deviate from their measured values, which I'm guessing is what he designed the crossover for (their measured values).

Placement of coils in crossover networks
I would think that it would be tough to design a crossover by trying to take into account the mutual inductance? I would think all crossovers should be designed according to measured values?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Who really knows what Eric does :p :D

but yes measured values is what you design with.

I would think that it would be tough to design a crossover by trying to take into account the mutual inductance? I would think all crossovers should be designed according to measured values?

D

daxriggs

Enthusiast
I really wish there a Tekton owner close to me who would have me over.
Where are you located?I live in the Baton Rouge, LA area and have a set of Pendragons with the matching sub. Would be cool to have a fellow audiophile over for a listen to see what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis