R

redhearts

Audiophyte
Great site... i've been coming here for quite some time to check reviews etc.

I currently have an A/V setup consisting Energy Ref Conn. (RC-70, RC-LRC, RC-10) and a Velodyne Accoustics 15" Subwoofer (DLS-5000R) Powering this setup is a Yamaha RXV-1600 (2006). All components (HD FTA / DVD) are run through the RXV-1600 via HDMI then to 57" Epson Livingstation via DVI input. I've recently upgraded all speaker wire with 10 GAW including all banana clips. I am attempting to work towards a high end set up.

I am a little dissappointed with the Output from these high end speakers. They sound fantastic (clarity) but are just not loud enough. Is it recommended not to turn up the volume past the +/-0db level. I was told to keep it under the 0 mark. Will damage occur if i pass the 0 mark?

I would like to power the Energy speaker setup with the most ideal component (amplifier), if i continue to power the speakers with the RXV 1600 i'm afraid i will damage the speakers by not delerving the "cleanest" or "proper" wattage. I just compare my house setup to my car audio setup, you'd never run you speakers off the deck power if your looking for the best possibile output.

What do you reccommend i do to increase the output from these speakers. I have been researching the reviews on the seperate amps and do not know what type or style would suit my current setup best. I guess what i am asking is "will any home theater amp work" i just don't want to invest money in something that i will not be happy with.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond,

Justin

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Justin,

I would suggest adding a separate multi-channel power amplifier from a company such as Emotiva or Outlaw. These Internet companies produce some great amps at great prices (some of which are reviewed on this Site).

If you want to get an amp and be done with things, I would suggest getting one with 200 Watts per channel or better. A lower powered amp will still get the job done, but may leave you wanting an upgrade in the future.

R

redhearts

Audiophyte
7 min. reply..... this site kicks ***! I'll check out your recommendations. Thanks alot. Anyone that is familiar with my RXV and Energy setup, that can recommend a 200 watt plus amp will be much appreciated!

Justin

R

redhearts

Audiophyte
Additional question.....

My subwoofer (Velodyne Accoustics 15" Subwoofer DLS-5000R) specs are 1000 watts can this be run through a multi channell power amplifier or a mono block amplifier to get more power? My initial thought is "no" but similar to my concerns about my Energy 5.1 setup the sub just doesn't seem to have the power or low end bass that i would have expected.

I have (8) 10" subs in my car (i know a lil overboard) can this Velodyne Subwoofer put out the bass i am looking for? Considering this is a recent purchase i'm sure i can return it if you guys recommend something better?

Thanks again,

Justin

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Justin,

I would recommend the Emotiva MPS-1 configured with 5 channels (it is on backorder right now) or the Outlaw 7200 amp but you would have an additional two channels of amplification not being used with your current 5.1 setup.

If used is more along your lines, check out Audiogon.

With a 1000 Watt sub, you should not need any more amplification. If the sub is passive (has an external amp) you can replace the external amp with one with more power. However, if the amp is built into the enclosure (sounds like your situation) you can't really do it without taking apart the enclosure and finding another amp that will fit in the sub chasis (would not recommend unless it came from the same manufacturer and was the same size).

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Don't know how the Thumbs Down icon ended up in my last post...did not mean for it to be there...sorry!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Let's start over.

There is no value in the statement about not turning your volume control past '0'. The zero means absolutely nothing until you have calibrated your system and you know what reference your volume display holds. Many of us choose to calibrate our systems to where '0' = 75db (via SPL meter) or Dolby reference level.

Have you calibrated your system? Do you have all your speakers set to small and the crossover set properly?

R

redhearts

Audiophyte
Thank you Greg and Doug,

With my RXV-1600 it allows you to calibrate the speaker set up via YPAO i have run this setup which checks distance etc. (should i be calibrating it differently)

I have set all my speakers to small and crossover to 80hz (THX)

How do i figure out what my reference my volume dispaly holds (i don't think i know what this means)

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
To calibrate the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of your speakers measured in dB (Decibels), you would need to buy a SPL meter. They have them at RatShack for about $40. YPAO will do a decent job of setting all the speaker levels to the same volume, but without knowing how many decibels you are hitting when the unit's volume is at "0" it is hard for us to know exactly how loud things really are.

I would leave your cross-overs where they are at 80Hz.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Doug has it right. It seems you have done a proper cal with the YPAO and that should have you pretty close. I think you are just afraid to turn that baby up to where you want it. Your speakers are very efficient and the 1600 has plenty of power so dont be afraid. Crank it up and if you ever hear anything funny or all the sudden the speaker sounds different; turn it down as fast as you can. The Velodyne sub should have plenty of power unless your room is really large. Remember, your sub should just be an extension of your speakers and should not "stand out". The only time I notice my sub is when I turn it off.

By the way; I have a 8000 cubic ft room and I power my system with an entry level Yamaha and it has plenty of power.

R

redhearts

Audiophyte
Very informative Doug, when i purchase the SPL meter and trun the volume up: what is the max DB level the speakers should be running at? I think this is the question i have. Am i on the right track?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Set your master volume to "0" and then using your speaker levels, adjust each speaker to read 75 db on the SPL. You can use the internal test tones on your AVR but a cal disc is better (I use Avia). After you have done this play some music and a movie at "0" and see how loud it is. Mine is very loud at "0" and +5 is unbearable.

R

redhearts

Audiophyte
Awesome... you guys rock, i'm on my way to Radio shack to get a SPL meter. In my area it is difficult to get tech help from our local stores so Thanks alot for the great info. Justin

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
That depends on several factors. Frist, what is the sensitivity rating of your speakers? I use Klipsch speakers which have a sensitivity rating of 95dB. This means if a microphone is placed one meter in front of the speaker it will produce 95 decibels of sound while drawing 1 watt of power.

My speakers would easily hit a volume level of 100 dB without any worries. If someone has speakers with a sensitivity of 85dB they will require more power to hit a volume level of 100dB. For each 3dB gain in volume level you require twice the amount of power. So the person above would require a little over 8 watts to hit 100dB.

Second, I honestly rarely listen to movies at anything over 75db (reference level) and many times I listen at 5-10dB under reference level. This is a matter of personal taste. You shouldn't listen at louder tahn reference often or for long periods of time as it will actually damage your hearing.

If you crank things up and you are at a volume level that is still too quiet for you and start hearing distortion then you may want to turn things down and consider getting an amp.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Anechoic Sensitivity 92dB

That depends on several factors. Frist, what is the sensitivity rating of your speakers? I use Klipsch speakers which have a sensitivity rating of 95dB. This means if a microphone is placed one meter in front of the speaker it will produce 95 decibels of sound while drawing 1 watt of power.

My speakers would easily hit a volume level of 100 dB without any worries. If someone has speakers with a sensitivity of 85dB they will require more power to hit a volume level of 100dB. For each 3dB gain in volume level you require twice the amount of power. So the person above would require a little over 8 watts to hit 100dB.

Second, I honestly rarely listen to movies at anything over 75db (reference level) and many times I listen at 5-10dB under reference level. This is a matter of personal taste. You shouldn't listen at louder tahn reference often or for long periods of time as it will actually damage your hearing.

If you crank things up and you are at a volume level that is still too quiet for you and start hearing distortion then you may want to turn things down and consider getting an amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If the RX-V1600 is calibrated and setup correctly, it should be able to make your speakers sound loud enough for you unless your room is really large and you are sitting 25 ft or further away from your speakers. Your 15" 1000W sub should get your lots of bass. If not, again, it could be a setup issue.

You definitely should check it out with a SPL meter and see what you are really getting with the volume at 0. It would help too if you let us know the approx. dimensions of the room.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Hmmmmm. Redhearts mentioned he has 6, or 8? 10" woofers in his vehicle.
I wonder if he is looking for that car shaking bass in his home system?

R

redhearts

Audiophyte
Hey Guys, well last night i had some trouble finding an SPL meter. I found the brand "Scosch SPL 1000" but they were out of stock. So i'll be buying one as soon as they come in. Thanks

Peng my room layout is about 20'x15'.

It's funny David, the 8 - 10" are from my younger years, just couldn't give up the wow factor. Not looking to duplicate inside

I worked with some Speaker Level settings (very pleased) couldn't get the amp past +3 on the volume scale (very loud) at one point the speakers sounded fine but i tripped a breaker. Is there anything available to get constant power to the amp? I have noticed that the display with flicker at times as well.

Justin

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis