TEAC AH01 Stereo Amplifier with Digital to Analog Converter Silver

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That is one cool product.

The only issue is it makes me want to sell off my 3 piece setup I have in my office and go with one of those. It even has a sub out! I will have to go read the manual and check out what kind of crossover control it gives you.

I've seen these TEAC products posted by Seth and I owned a TEAC receiver as a kid but have not seen anything from them locally in years.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

The only issue is it makes me want to sell of my 3 piece setup I have in my office and go with one of those. It even has a sub out! I will have to go read the manual and check out what kind of crossover control it gives you.

I've seen these TEAC products posted by Seth and I owned a TEAC receiver as a kid but have not seen anything from them locally in years.
I don't see any mention of it in the manual.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

The only issue is it makes me want to sell of my 3 piece setup I have in my office and go with one of those. It even has a sub out! I will have to go read the manual and check out what kind of crossover control it gives you.

Checked the manual and there is no mention of any crossover, I'd guess it's probably full range... still good, but not great :)
Honestly, I didn't even noticed the sub out then looked at it before :eek:

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
It even has a sub out! I will have to go read the manual and check out what kind of crossover control it gives you.
From the manual:
If you want to use a subwoofer, connect it to this terminal.
Real helpful :rolleyes:

Looks like a nice unit. I just don't know anything about Teac though, which makes me kind of weary. Does anyone have experience with modern Teac products?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From the manual:

Real helpful :rolleyes:

Looks like a nice unit. I just don't know anything about Teac though, which makes me kind of weary. Does anyone have experience with modern Teac products?
Seth=L has posted a fair amount about Teac. They have had their name on some horrible crap, but I believe their Reference series has always been pretty decent. The B&O ice amps certainly have a good reputation. But definitely do more research to be sure.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I just e-mailed tech support out of curiosity.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I've been thinking of picking up one for a while for a desktop set up. It's clean and has all the inputs you'd want for a computer based playback system. There are other all in one units but they tend to cost a heck of a lot more; this is a decent deal even at the "regular" price of $499 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Teac-AH01-B-Amplifier-Digital-Converter/dp/B006I6FXDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344609445&sr=8-1&keywords=TEAC+AH01. My only hesitation is I haven't found the specs for the headphone amp. I'd like something that can drive my Beyer DT880s that are 250 ohm and headphone amps, in my experience, are at best an afterthought in most products.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
By the way, this is the 2d (!) dac that BSA has recommended (in less than a week I think) that costs more than his beloved Behringer uca202s that run $30 from Amazon. This has got to be a real sea change for this site, :D. I'm glad to see that BSA has finally seen the (dac) light. . . .

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
By the way, this is the 2d (!) dac that BSA has recommended (in less than a week I think) that costs more than his beloved Behringer uca202s that run $30 from Amazon. This has got to be a real sea change for this site, :D. I'm glad to see that BSA has finally seen the (dac) light. . . .
Let me repeat just for you: I bought dac, not to improve SQ, but simply to isolate audio RF interference - I could go other way as in UPS, new power supply, new video card etc... External DAC with Toslink inputs made more sense for me to guarantee isolation from PC interferences

Am I glad I finally got hardware volume control and more than decent headphone amp - heck yea, but you'd never hear me comparing DAC based their performance.... I could've use UCA-202, but lack of spdif input and crappy headphone amp stopped me

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

The only issue is it makes me want to sell off my 3 piece setup I have in my office and go with one of those. It even has a sub out! I will have to go read the manual and check out what kind of crossover control it gives you.

I don't see any mention of it in the manual.
I just e-mailed tech support out of curiosity.

Got an e-mail right before midnight last night saying that they had to check into it because the specifications didn't say... Yeah, I knew that.:)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The unit does look cool and I've thought about pulling the trigger on one when it first came out. There are alternatives. Onkyo makes a stereo receiver with multiple digital inputs (but no usb) for significantly less at $279: Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver (Black): Electronics. I suspect that more units like this will begin to pop up as people increasingly digitize their music collections.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Got an e-mail right before midnight last night saying that they had to check into it because the specifications didn't say... Yeah, I knew that.:)

Received this response tonight.

Doug,

We still have not received an official response.
General listening tests seem to indicate the the sub-woofer output is not a full range signal.
There is no crossover frequency adjustment.

Thank you for your interest in TEAC products.

So fixed crossover at a mystery frequency.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If there's any common sense in the design the crossover point is probably over 100hz because I, as the manufacturer, would assume that users would want to use a satellite speaker arrangement with a subwoofer.

I see the Onkyo was mentioned as a substitute. I would agree that it's a more practical solution for a more demanding system. What makes the Teac special is it's size and unique feature set. It weighs a mere 4 pounds, so you can imagine just how small this amplifier would be. Basically imagine the sonicT amp, but on steroids wearing a nice dress.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
If there's any common sense in the design the crossover point is probably over 100hz because I, as the manufacturer, would assume that users would want to use a satellite speaker arrangement with a subwoofer.

I see the Onkyo was mentioned as a substitute. I would agree that it's a more practical solution for a more demanding system. What makes the Teac special is it's size and unique feature set. It weighs a mere 4 pounds, so you can imagine just how small this amplifier would be. Basically imagine the sonicT amp, but on steroids wearing a nice dress.
Agreed. I was guessing the crossover would be something like 150hz but would not be surprised if it was 200hz. Micro 2ways with a 3.25" - 4" midwoofer and a 6"-8" sub would be the primary target here.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Agreed. I was guessing the crossover would be something like 150hz but would not be surprised if it was 200hz. Micro 2ways with a 3.25" - 4" midwoofer and a 6"-8" sub would be the primary target here.
I had one. I resold it because of two rather puzzling ergonomic flaws: there is no on/standby button on the remote, and one cannot dim the blue lights.

Also, the build quality in person is unexceptional, with bad color matching between the plastic and metal parts, etc. Fair for the price, mind, but not the baby-Classé promised in pictures.

On the plus side, that ICEpower 50ASX2 module is deceptively powerful, and does not sound like it has high output impedance. I didn't do a rigorous comparison, but after matching levels it sounded identical to my Meridian 551, using the analog inputs.

No idea about the sub crossover.

For more of my thoughts on the A-H01, see here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis