TC Sounds LMS-18 Ultra 5400 first impressions

Matt34

Matt34

So after everything that's been going on the past few months I finally got things sorted out and have the LMS-18 back in my system.

I'm using a custom built eD enclosure with a quad front baffle and a Behringer EP 4000 with a fan swap to power it.

First impressions, it has every bit of output as the dual HSU VTF-15 but the sub-sonics are 10 fold better (While Amp limited). When I start seeing the clip lights flicker on the Behringer (which is about -8.0db below reference depending on the material) it feels like a full body massage. I am only running 3db hot as opposed to the dual HSU which I was running closer to 6db after running Audyessy XT32.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said about this driver already. I'm a believer of all the hype that has surrounded it for the past few years. I'll get another next year along with a bigger amp but for now this sub/amp combo will do.

Attachments

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Pictures would be awesome. Also, curious about the specs of the enclosure? Size, etc...

Matt34

Matt34

Pics added, rat nest of wires and all.:rolleyes:

Enclosure measures: 25h x 20d x 22w

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, that is awesome... What are those mains? Do you like them?

Matt34

Matt34

Yep, that is awesome... What are those mains? Do you like them?
They are eD[c]12's with the upgraded B&C DE250 compression driver and the matte finish. I'm really enjoying them so far, easy to drive, loud, clear and dynamic. Haven't had a lot of time to listen to them yet but I haven't heard them do anything bad so far.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Wow... looks like you have some serious headroom all the way around. Thats awesome. Even if you are a huskers fan. :p Curious- your setup is built more around HT? I know you've had a lot of different gear, but do they stack up well musically? Sorry for the interrogation... I'm trying to wrap my brain around musically inclined speakers vs HT? Trying to make some decisions myself.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
damn that's a mean sub.

would a higher powered amp give better performance that a second similar setup won't get you?
just thought that a significantly higher powered amp would cost big bucks ... enough to consider a second set.
unless you don't have the space.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

damn that's a mean sub.

would a higher powered amp give better performance that a second similar setup won't get you?
just thought that a significantly higher powered amp would cost big bucks ... enough to consider a second set.
unless you don't have the space.
Once I move and get a dedicated 20amp line I'll run a bigger amp like the clone Lab Gruppen amp (~$850 delivered, 4400 W x 2 channels) to power two of them.

Matt34

Matt34

Wow... looks like you have some serious headroom all the way around. Thats awesome. Even if you are a huskers fan. :p Curious- your setup is built more around HT? I know you've had a lot of different gear, but do they stack up well musically? Sorry for the interrogation... I'm trying to wrap my brain around musically inclined speakers vs HT? Trying to make some decisions myself.
It's mainly a HT system but I do stream music through it weekly. This room news treated badly so it's difficult to assess the systems true musically capabilities. I've heard low budget horn speakers(BIC Acoustechs) and these compression drivers are leaps and bounds better. I have them x-over at 110hz and the head room and distortion free sound is awesome! I had some Skrillex blasting away on it yesterday and they had no issues being powered by the just the Denon. I can't say the same for the poor Behringers, the LMS-18 has made it tap out a couple times already.

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
Nice sub bro! ;)

Just wait till ya add a 2nd and give them some REAL juice! :D

Matt34

Matt34

Just a quick update, after spending some more time with this combo, I've actually turn the sub level down on the receiver to just 1db hot. I don't know if it's the corner loading of the sub but the bass levels during music and the movie Immortals was overbearing at +3db. I'm a basshead but even I have my limits.

It crazy to have this good of bass in a basement that is roughly 14'x25' and the back wall opposite of the setup is an open stairway to the upstairs.

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
Just a quick update, after spending some more time with this combo, I've actually turn the sub level down on the receiver to just 1db hot. I don't know if it's the corner loading of the sub but the bass levels during music and the movie Immortals was overbearing at +3db. I'm a basshead but even I have my limits.

It crazy to have this good of bass in a basement that is roughly 14'x25' and the back wall opposite of the setup is an open stairway to the upstairs.
You know whats funny is that I had the same thing happen to me. I dont know if it was a "break-in" thing or what? But after a few weeks of use i went from +3db's HOT to even with the rest of the channels. And for the record I also consider myself a bass-head. :D

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
Matt, do you have any graphs, rew, or any others? Also, it Sounds like it kicks the HSU butt down low. 10 fold? And if I can ask, how much do you have in it, driver-cabinet-amp? If you wish you can pm me. Do you still have the VTF-15's?

Also if you find the time after listening to them for a bit can you share your impressions of the ED's? I am interested in those as well.

Thanks.

Matt34

Matt34

Matt, do you have any graphs, rew, or any others? Also, it Sounds like it kicks the HSU butt down low. 10 fold? And if I can ask, how much do you have in it, driver-cabinet-amp? If you wish you can pm me. Do you still have the VTF-15's?

Also if you find the time after listening to them for a bit can you share your impressions of the ED's? I am interested in those as well.

Thanks.
I haven't done any measurements, everything above is just my subjective experience. I'm going to get an Omni-Mic eventually but it's not a high priority right now.

10 fold, not sure how to quantify that but I will say it is a very noticeable improvement.;)

$980-ish for the driver
$500 shipped for the cabinet
$345 for the Behringer

I posted my impressions of the eD's a couple posts up, really don't have much to add to that.:eek:

..and yes I still have the HSU's.

M

MATMAN1970

Audiophyte
Matt,

Congrats on the system. That exact speaker/sub combo is actually my dream system, well, my dream system without having to pay 2 or 3 times as much..:)

Just a quick question. Did you just get the sub cabs from eD? I know there have been very mixed experiences with eD getting their stuff out the door as promised, but I think some of those were due to LMS5400's not getting in stock. If you just got the cabs, were they delivered timely?

Those eD12's look sweet and have had nothing but praise(besides delivery delays). The compression driver upgrade is also not too expensive. I think it would definitely be worth the money.

Matt

J

jb5200

Audioholic
I can attest: Here's a Funky Waves box in cherry. I went from a Klipsch to a JL to an SVS and all three of them added together don't equal this thing! It is insane! That might be a little of an over-exaggeration but none of them are even in a league close. I have my Integra set at -7 for the sub (I couldn't even get close to the plus side of the bar) and any louder I won't have to go to the dr. to check my prostate because it will rattle itself out!

I paid a pretty penny for the box but if you've heard from anyone else that did - TOTALLY worth it!

Attachments

Matt34

Matt34

Matt,

Congrats on the system. That exact speaker/sub combo is actually my dream system, well, my dream system without having to pay 2 or 3 times as much..:)

Just a quick question. Did you just get the sub cabs from eD? I know there have been very mixed experiences with eD getting their stuff out the door as promised, but I think some of those were due to LMS5400's not getting in stock. If you just got the cabs, were they delivered timely?

Those eD12's look sweet and have had nothing but praise(besides delivery delays). The compression driver upgrade is also not too expensive. I think it would definitely be worth the money.

Matt
I've had some issues with delivery to include the cabinet, custom stands and crown amp. I went into it expecting to bust the timeline just from reading about other's experiences. If you want a more detailed answer, PM me.

I ordered the driver seperately through PE.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis